Blue Jays GDT: ('14 v4) Next Game: @Pit| Fri, May 2 |7pm ET/4pm PT| B.Morrow vs G.Cole

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
just get on base Brett. Power hitter Goins on deck can tie it with 1 swing

One of the benefits of having such a strong lineup, you don't need pinch hitters late in games to give you those good AB's that weaker lineups might not get out of specific starters.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Ugh. So Gibbons wasted Goins and Sierra so he could get Thole up vs. a rightie?

I would have just left Goins in the game vs. the leftie. He was having a good night with a walk and homerun.

He used his entire bench on this one move. Because now Diaz will have to come in.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ugh. So Gibbons wasted Goins and Sierra so he could get Thole up vs. a rightie?

I would have just left Goins in the game vs. the leftie. He was having a good night with a walk and homerun.

He used his entire bench on this one move. Because now Diaz will have to come in.

well it got us at least 1 run. Reyes needs to tack on some more though.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
What is most disappointing to me is that in his tenure, we have had 15 first or comp round picks through 4 drafts and all we really have to show for it is Stroman, Sanchez and Syndergaard (who we traded). If you can't hit on a couple stars with 15 top picks then there is something wrong.

Plus many of those picks were moved for Happ who I don't understand the deal to this day. More depth moved in the Fla and NYM deals

So any depth that can help this year is gone and that depth could have been used to bring in other guys.

I think the shine is starting to wear off on AA. He sign two players to great contract Bautista and EE both were not well establish vets with a long track record so they took security not knowing they would keep up their prowess.

The Fla and nym deals are starting to stink up the joint.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Plus many of those picks were moved for Happ who I don't understand the deal to this day. More depth moved in the Fla and NYM deals

So any depth that can help this year is gone and that depth could have been used to bring in other guys.

I think the shine is starting to wear off on AA. He sign two players to great contract Bautista and EE both were not well establish vets with a long track record so they took security not knowing they would keep up their prowess.

The Fla and nym deals are starting to stink up the joint.

If we were churning out talent from our system like we should with so many high picks, those 2 deals are an afterthought. St.Louis regularly makes deals like that but they are still producing talent that no one cares.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What is most disappointing to me is that in his tenure, we have had 15 first or comp round picks through 4 drafts and all we really have to show for it is Stroman, Sanchez and Syndergaard (who we traded). If you can't hit on a couple stars with 15 top picks then there is something wrong.

Well he potentially hit on three, so what does that say about your last sentence? I can't remember what the percentage of draftees make it to the show, but drafting three impact players with fifteen (late first round) picks is probably pretty lucky.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I also don't think it's that fair to look at draft pick success just yet. Everyone hasn't developed, you still have top picks like Norris, Nay, Davis, etc still down in A ball. Give them time and if they flop, then complain about bad draft picks.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I am simply trying to say, the equivalent of 15 years worth of first round picks should be showing far more signs of success in the minors after a few years then what we have currently.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
but don't point out 3 guys, miss 3 other guys who are doing fairly well, and say we haven't hit on any of them. There's 6 right there.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I am simply trying to say, the equivalent of 15 years worth of draft picks should be showing far more signs of success in the minors after a few years then what we have currently.

It's more like 5 firsts and however many seconds, with two of the first round picks not signing.

The baseball draft is just a big crapshoot. The fact that he didn't have any top 5 picks just makes it harder to find high impact players.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
It's more like 5 firsts and however many seconds, with two of the first round picks not signing.

The baseball draft is just a big crapshoot. The fact that he didn't have any top 5 picks just makes it harder to find high impact players.

So because its hard at the draft its ok that we have what looks like not 1 impact bat in the system and 2 pitchers (one with command issues) to show for it despite having the largest scouting staff in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad