OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was at a youth hockey tournament over the weekend. Yesterday midway through the 16u midgets championship game, shortly after the visiting team's coach was ejected for dropping the F bomb at a ref, a line brawl went down. Fans of both sides were screaming obscenities and creating all sorts of commotion. Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria! I was captivated by the scene, to say the least.

From the drop of the puck it was a chippy game. There were several players from both teams who were immediately looking to mix it up. One cannot deny the officiating was terrible for a midgets game. Players wound up policing the game early on, and nothing good comes from that. In my experience with youth hockey this sort of thing tends to happen. Part of it is, "that's hockey", but there's certainly plenty of room for visible improvement. While I understand referees are the ultimate authority at any given tournament (even basically above the tournament directors), it would be nice if the directors of the tournaments made the proper request to perhaps keep things a bit tighter. This is not just about midgets either, for f***'s sake, mites might be the f***ing worst of it all! Of course, I am also unaware of the experience and the confidence of these particular officials, as I have witnessed in the past referees being intimidated by fans/coaches to blow the whistle. Can be tough for newer refs sometimes. I get it. We're humans.

The visiting team did come out playing as the better of the two early on but that changed near the end of the first period and the home team scored a couple as the ice tilted. Visitors seemed to be more physical, but both teams were dishing them out.

Then the home team got more of a lead in the second period, and it's 4-1. A player on the visiting team had 2 penalties at this point in the game (4 gets a skater a game). So this kid then midway through the second came across the ice and laid one of the biggest hits I have ever seen in midgets hockey on one of the home skaters. Destroyed him. Well... that'll do it. He got a double minor and ejected. Taunted the bench, taunted/pumped the crowd, you name it. From seeing it myself and from talking to the head coach briefly of the home team, we both mentioned how it was an unclean hit due to the shear amount of force the kid delivered. It did not appear to be a high hit, he did not jump, he did not check him from behind. "Clean" in the spirit of the game, but f***ing downright vicious at this level.

Refs failed numerous times early on to keep the game under control and make sure this type of nonsense doesn't continue or escalate. Derp.

After all of the screaming and commotion, and the skaters brawling, and the scorekeeper slamming the horn for what seemed like 2 minutes straight, and the two refs trying hard to break it all up but failing, and the home team's goalie getting ejected for what I'm pretty sure was taunting the officials/shit talking other team, the mayhem stopped. The home team didn't have a backup goalie either. From talking to the tournament director, I do believe there was some leeway in them being able to acquire a random EBUG of sorts somehow, but that did not happen.

Despite being up 4-1 midway through the second period and after the commotion settled down a bit, the head coach of the home team quickly decided it was absolutely necessary to shut the game down. Good thinking. The USA hockey refs did not make this decision. Some more derrrrp decision-making or lack there-of by the officials.

The home team skated off and agreed to leave with the silver medals and silver trophy cup, and then got the f*** out of dodge as fast as they could (I guess essentially forfeiting despite their 4-1 lead). I have never seen kids change out of gear and out of a locker room more quickly than that.

The visiting team left with chocolate, golden medals and their gold trophy cup.

And that was the end of my very, very long weekend.

Wait so the team that was up 4-1 decided to take the L and end the game early?

• Haha
Reactions: ybnvs

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I was at a youth hockey tournament over the weekend. Yesterday midway through the 16u midgets championship game, shortly after the visiting team's coach was ejected for dropping the F bomb at a ref, a line brawl went down. Fans of both sides were screaming obscenities and creating all sorts of commotion. Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria! I was captivated by the scene, to say the least.

From the drop of the puck it was a chippy game. There were several players from both teams who were immediately looking to mix it up. One cannot deny the officiating was terrible for a midgets game. Players wound up policing the game early on, and nothing good comes from that. In my experience with youth hockey this sort of thing tends to happen. Part of it is, "that's hockey", but there's certainly plenty of room for visible improvement. While I understand referees are the ultimate authority at any given tournament (even basically above the tournament directors), it would be nice if the directors of the tournaments made the proper request to perhaps keep things a bit tighter. This is not just about midgets either, for f***'s sake, mites might be the f***ing worst of it all! Of course, I am also unaware of the experience and the confidence of these particular officials, as I have witnessed in the past referees being intimidated by fans/coaches to blow the whistle. Can be tough for newer refs sometimes. I get it. We're humans.

The visiting team did come out playing as the better of the two early on but that changed near the end of the first period and the home team scored a couple as the ice tilted. Visitors seemed to be more physical, but both teams were dishing them out.

Then the home team got more of a lead in the second period, and it's 4-1. A player on the visiting team had 2 penalties at this point in the game (4 gets a skater a game). So this kid then midway through the second came across the ice and laid one of the biggest hits I have ever seen in midgets hockey on one of the home skaters. Destroyed him. Well... that'll do it. He got a double minor and ejected. Taunted the bench, taunted/pumped the crowd, you name it. From seeing it myself and from talking to the head coach briefly of the home team, we both mentioned how it was an unclean hit due to the shear amount of force the kid delivered. It did not appear to be a high hit, he did not jump, he did not check him from behind. "Clean" in the spirit of the game, but f***ing downright vicious at this level.

Refs failed numerous times early on to keep the game under control and make sure this type of nonsense doesn't continue or escalate. Derp.

After all of the screaming and commotion, and the skaters brawling, and the scorekeeper slamming the horn for what seemed like 2 minutes straight, and the two refs trying hard to break it all up but failing, and the home team's goalie getting ejected for what I'm pretty sure was taunting the officials/shit talking other team, the mayhem stopped. The home team didn't have a backup goalie either. From talking to the tournament director, I do believe there was some leeway in them being able to acquire a random EBUG of sorts somehow, but that did not happen.

Despite being up 4-1 midway through the second period and after the commotion settled down a bit, the head coach of the home team quickly decided it was absolutely necessary to shut the game down. Good thinking. The USA hockey refs did not make this decision. Some more derrrrp decision-making or lack there-of by the officials.

The home team skated off and agreed to leave with the silver medals and silver trophy cup, and then got the f*** out of dodge as fast as they could (I guess essentially forfeiting despite their 4-1 lead). I have never seen kids change out of gear and out of a locker room more quickly than that.

The visiting team left with chocolate, golden medals and their gold trophy cup.

And that was the end of my very, very long weekend.
Ahh, good ole youth hockey. Last year was the first year I didn't coach in seven years...didn't miss it one bit

Wait so the team that was up 4-1 decided to take the L and end the game early?
They didn't have a goalie, so they probably knew they had no chance of winning

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ahh, good ole youth hockey. Last year was the first year I didn't coach in seven years...didn't miss it one bit

They didn't have a goalie, so they probably knew they had no chance of winning

Crazier things have happened. I've won without a goalie and lost to a team without a goalie before. That extra attacker can complicate things..especially if you have a nutter defensemen willing to get in front of long-range shots.

• Haha

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Went to the Zach Bryan concert last night at the Linc. Thanks to the storms, he didn't go on until a little after 10:30...didn't get home until 1 and didn't fall asleep until 2...dragging this morning
Even though I really dislike country music, I would have preferred that over cleaning up a flooding basement. Gutters were clogged, so they over flowed ar one point, which was right above a cellar window well, which was open to the sky because we are having our deck replaced. We received 1.5 in of rain in 20 mins. Sump is in the finished side of basement, so we were able to push the water into channel along the wall. Also tried using tubs to catch the water and buckets to take it upstairs. I am not in shape for that kind of hauling. Went to bed at 2am. Had the gutters cleaned today, so hopefully that is it.

Reactions: BernieParent

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Even though I really dislike country music, I would have preferred that over cleaning up a flooding basement. Gutters were clogged, so they over flowed ar one point, which was right above a cellar window well, which was open to the sky because we are having our deck replaced. We received 1.5 in of rain in 20 mins. Sump is in the finished side of basement, so we were able to push the water into channel along the wall. Also tried using tubs to catch the water and buckets to take it upstairs. I am not in shape for that kind of hauling. Went to bed at 2am. Had the gutters cleaned today, so hopefully that is it.
Oh man, that sounds absolutely horrible. Reminds me of when Sandy hit here. There was a cellar window below the deck of my parents house, my dad is redoing the deck now and had the window filled in, but during Sandy, it filled with so much rain that it was coming in the basement. My dad was in the hospital getting open heart surgery, so it was just my mom and I bailing out buckets of water from the basement at 3am

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Went to the Zach Bryan concert last night at the Linc. Thanks to the storms, he didn't go on until a little after 10:30...didn't get home until 1 and didn't fall asleep until 2...dragging this morning
I really wanted to go, ive been stalking ticket prices for months. 250+ for tickets was just unreasonable to me. Apparently tonight he had Springsteen out to do a cover of Atlantic City.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I really wanted to go, ive been stalking ticket prices for months. 250+ for tickets was just unreasonable to me. Apparently tonight he had Springsteen out to do a cover of Atlantic City.

Springsteen came out at the U2 show at JFK Stadium in 1987 during the Joshua Tree Tour to sing "Stand by Me." I was maybe 100 feet away from the stage.

Then again, maybe it was "Maggie's Farm," or "Rainbow Connection," or "I am Woman," or...

Edit:

Just saw there was video of it. I was standing pretty much where the cameraman was:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
We got tickets when they first went on sale, don't even remember what they cost, but they definitely weren't cheap; higher than any other concert I've been to. I did see that he came out. He has a song featuring him, so they probably did that one and Atlantic City.

Also looks like he brought out the Lumineers and Shane Gillis. This sums it up lol

Last edited:

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
We just got hit by a tornado…thats our luck lately. We are all good. Hopefully the lifetime warranty on that shed covers acts of god. Check out my shed on the front page of 6abc.com and on the news

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpeg
    IMG_3340.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
We just got hit by a tornado…thats our luck lately. We are all good. Hopefully the lifetime warranty on that shed covers acts of god. Check out my shed on the front page of 6abc.com and on the news

Man, you've had some terrible luck lately. Glad everyone is ok!

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Thanks - all good, took the trip to the in laws until power gets restored...doesn't seem like its gonna be any time soon especially considering more tornado warnings throughout the area today.
Yeah this sux....my mom lives in Bucks County and along with the Philly area where I am at, we are in the danger zone of the Big Bad Wolf (aka Tornados) Hopefully, neither of us has anything huffed and puffed and blown down....

Hope all is ok on your end and no more misfortunes...

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I can't believe someone died during the CrossFit games yesterday.

I did CrossFit for years, and yeah, it's definitely taxing on the body. It's pretty negligent that they didn't have better safety precautions, especially when they're doing the swim after a run.

• Wow
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Didn't click on it, but I can only imagine it's being razed to make room for luxury condos.
I updated the post to include the letter from Mr. Gillian. He says he no longer owns the property, so he's not sure what is going to happen to it. The only saving grace is that there is still more boardwalk past the pier, so it might make it hard to build condos right there, but I'm sure they'll try their best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad