OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
But is aggrevated assault really the answer to the world's problems?

On a more serious note, I would question the scientific validity of such a study. A tablet is just a tool, like a book or a magazine. I remember when I was a kid the doctor's office always had copies of Highlights magazine in the waiting room. I liked to play that puzzle where you identified hidden shapes in a picture. Turns out there's an app for that:

Games & Puzzles | Highlights Kids

Don't see the difference between that and the magazine. My guess is that there are far more fun/educational things available on tablets today than what was on the tables in the waiting room back then.

There's been other studies looking at the impact of blue light from screen devices on children. I have no problem giving a kid an issue of Highlights to read.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

The World Health Organization on Wednesday declared the ongoing mpox outbreak in Africa a global health emergency.

WHO convened its emergency mpox committee amid concerns that a deadlier strain of the virus, clade Ib, had reached four previously unaffected provinces in Africa. This strain had previously been contained to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

giphy.webp

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

Forget the blurbs. Read this.

(Consider this a plug for haveibeenpwned.com as a check for your/your family's info popping up in leaks too. Troy does fantastic work keeping that updated.)

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

(Consider this a plug for haveibeenpwned.com as a check for your/your family's info popping up in leaks too. Troy does fantastic work keeping that updated.)
hacker-pepe.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Semi-related, I've been wondering what's been going on in the world of personal data since I recently began receiving phone calls meant for my dad, and a letter from a bank addressed to my grandfather who died 20 years ago and has never lived at my address offering him a deal on a checking account. Someone somewhere is doing goofy stuff with available data and links between people if they're deciding that I'm a dead guy and an old guy, neither of whom share a name with me.

The notion of there being loads of nonsense tied to this author isn't a surprise. Apparently if I look myself up I'll be finding things that don't apply to me and which links me to other people.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

iu

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

I mean ok what do I even do at this point? Make I don't get an email from a SF area bank that says my $1 million loan has been approved? Turn on 2 factor authentication? Lol

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I mean ok what do I even do at this point?

Opt out of data services. Use a password manager and thus unique strong passwords. If your password manager doesn’t check them for you, check them in leaks every few months. Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach is usable by an 80 year old. Use 2 or multi-factor authentication for important things. Hell, if you don’t want to use a password manager, get a physical notebook and write down every unique password in it. That’s still more than good enough.

You can go further if you want, but this fixes the vast majority of issues.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Opt out of data services. Use a password manager and thus unique strong passwords. If your password manager doesn’t check them for you, check them in leaks every few months. Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach is usable by an 80 year old. Use 2 or multi-factor authentication for important things. Hell, if you don’t want to use a password manager, get a physical notebook and write down every unique password in it. That’s still more than good enough.

My Grandpop used 1password I think. Good enough? Are there better ones?

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
My Grandpop used 1password I think. Good enough? Are there better ones?

That’s what I use. There are several great options at this point. Just pick the one that works for you and use it.

Protip: Pay for a family account and put your elder relatives on it so that you can fix things for them remotely.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
1Password was one of my better decisions over the last few years. Absolutely worth it. It was a little overwhelming at first, but once you get everything in there it's as easy as it gets. Would definitely recommend.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

I've been doing the notebook thing for over ten years. It's because I'm super tech savvy and like to stay ahead of the game. Definitely not because I forget them and sometimes don't have them saved in the browser. Not that at all.

• Wow

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

The most famous Belgian is a fictional Belgian played by an Englishman written by an Englishwoman. What a disaster. They try to steal Audrey Hepburn, but she was Dutch nobility and an English citizen. Belgian culture has René Magritte and Jean-Claude Van Damme -- that's it. They need to stop pretending and accept they're just European Maryland. And don't even get me started on Luxembourg. In America we have "Delco"; in Europe they pretend it's a language and call it, "Luxembourgish."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad