Post-Game Talk: #11 - 10/28/18 | RANGERS @ kings | 3:30 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Goals by Vlad The Impaler and McSpooner.

We keep losing to the worse teams tho, im glad there is no relegation in the league.

Reactions: Richard Banger

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I look at Howden, Chytil, and Lias and I see good players. I see potentially half of a top 6. I'm not sure I see great players.

As I've said before, the Rangers desperately need a Judge/Porzingis/Barkley. A franchise-defining offensive player to build around.

Yeah, they need to pick high and they will, but they've picked high before. They need to identify and develop an elite talent. No excuses.

They should be selling again and have multiple firsts, including a high one. It's put up or shut up. Gorton sinks or swims at this point.
Porzingis 4th pick
Barkley 2nd pick
Judge was 32nd but the mlb draft can be weird sometimes
Also who knows with Kratsov as well. Hopefully we get our chance for that franchise alterer this year

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers also have to be willing to take a risk at the draft, depending on where they pick.

I don't wanna hear "this guy has a high floor, he's going to be an NHL player etc."

I wanna hear "this guy is a Hart Trophy candidate if he puts it together."

I'm really eye-balling Alex Newhook. It would be a risk because he's small and some mocks have him falling, but he has the type of ability that could be next-level. Again, depends on where we pick. I'd love to pick 1st and be done with it.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Porzingis 4th pick
Barkley 2nd pick
Judge was 32nd but the mlb draft can be weird sometimes
Also who knows with Kratsov as well. Hopefully we get our chance for that franchise alterer this year

They're picking top 10 this year in a draft loaded with scoring forwards. It's time.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Benching young players to teach them how to be a professional or to clean up certain aspects of their game is accountability.

Benching young players who are doing everything right sends the opposite message.
The hard part here, IMO, is that the optics for this changes from person to person. Both on here, as fans, and in the locker room, as coach and as players.

A player might think they're doing everything right and view their benching negatively, whereas the coaching staff will view it as a positive and as a teachable moment.

That's where communication between the two is key, and Quinn is supposedly good with that.

Now, as fans...we don't get to experience/see that part, which can make things like "benching" a big grey area and can lead to some dangerous assumptions. Which, ya know, can sometimes be correct. But more often than not, I don't think it is.

:dunno:

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There are no metrics I'm aware of to back up your view. Baseball managers win if they have superior personnel. Never with even average personnel. Pointing to one game as proof of anything is absurd.

You can argue that organizations that pay more attention to stats are more successful, but managers just don't matter, unless they are inept.

Joe Torre is a perfect example of managers not mattering. With the Yankees, he won. Elsewhere, he was an utter failure.

Bochy wins three titles in 6 years. The other years, .500 was unlikely. Is he smarter some seasons than others?

With all of the *****ing by fans here of the NHL, at least we get consistent effort. Watching that Red Sox pitcher walk to 2nd base and not getting tossed by his manager is a disgrace. Yeah, I know that last part was irrelevant, but what a joke so many MLB players are.

Wasn't really the point anyway, but whatever.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
They're picking top 10 this year in a draft loaded with scoring forwards. It's time.
Yep this draft is a lot more forward focused then last year, and I think the Rangers know what they have to do. They took Kratsov last year who is defenitlty a player with that star forward upside, and in 2017 it appears that they really wanted Elias Pettersson but sadly that did not come to fruition. They have plenty of chances to watch Newhook this year since we have Riley Hughes and they revamped their WHL scouting team which should help when looking at guys like Cozens, Krebs, Dach, and Byram.

Reactions: Machinehead

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The coaches this and the coaches that---but there's a real dearth of NHL ready talent on this team. FWIW I'm 61--I could be dead next week. Anything can happen to you at anytime when you're 61 or it's a lot more likely to. I've got less reason than most people here to be f***ing around with a rebuild but still it is the best way for us to go forward and I recognize that.....and I also realize this is going to take time and this year is going to be a shit show so......I'm for giving the coaches a bit of a break as they don't have a whole lot to work with.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The Rangers also have to be willing to take a risk at the draft, depending on where they pick.

I don't wanna hear "this guy has a high floor, he's going to be an NHL player etc."

I'm really eye-balling Alex Newhook. It would be a risk because he's small and some mocks have him falling, but he has the type of ability that could be next-level. Again, depends on where we pick. I'd love to pick 1st and be done with it.

That's what they did with all three picks in this past year's first round.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

They just did that last year and half the board was killing them for it.

Based on how they've performed so far, they should aim higher than Newhook.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
There is still too much of an AV flavor to this roster along with a ton of dead weight.

Zucc, Hayes, Spooner (even if hes newish) are all AV guys. They don't exactly fit into what the coach is going for (Hayes can, but he hasn't played like it.)

Then we have the abso-trash that is Staal on the back end with what looks like a half assed Shattenkirk (who isn't even getting the prime minutes he should be on the PP), McQuaid who is the epitome of meh, Skjei trying to do everything on every shift. Pionk getting PP1 minutes is absurd, he is the 3rd best RH PPQB on the roster.

Don't even get me started with Zucc on the PK.

No. It's definitely Gordie Clarke.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I look at Howden, Chytil, and Lias and I see good players. I see potentially half of a top 6. I'm not sure I see great players.

As I've said before, the Rangers desperately need a Judge/Porzingis/Barkley. A franchise-defining offensive player to build around.

Yeah, they need to pick high and they will, but they've picked high before. They need to identify and develop an elite talent. No excuses.

They should be selling again and have multiple firsts, including a high one. It's put up or shut up. Gorton sinks or swims at this point.
This coming draft and last year's draft are going to shape Gorton's legacy as a GM. No excuse to not have at least two 1st's and two 2nd's at least coming into this draft too.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The coaches this and the coaches that---but there's a real dearth of NHL ready talent on this team. FWIW I'm 61--I could be dead next week. Anything can happen to you at anytime when you're 61 or it's a lot more likely to. I've got less reason than most people here to be ****ing around with a rebuild but still it is the best way for us to go forward and I recognize that.....and I also realize this is going to take time and this year is going to be a **** show so......I'm for giving the coaches a bit of a break as they don't have a whole lot to work with.

Although you are up in years, think of a full rebuild as a way better chance than zero of you being alive and don't forget legally lucid enough [i.e. the caretaker you call "mama" not having power of attorney] of seeing a cup.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Can’t really disagree with this and it’s one of the reasons why the 2018 and 2019 drafts are essential.

I think the Rangers have some good potential to have that core group of players who lead the team, set the tone and play key roles.

But they still need to stock up on that high-end talent. They need a guy like Kravtsov to be that guy on the wings. Frankly they need one of the top talents in this draft - even beyond the obvious names like Hughes or Kakko.

I think the Rangers realize this as well, though I do think it’s going to take some time. But there’s no way around it — The Rangers success for the next 10 years will be driven by the Rangers ability to identify, acquire and develop players taken in the 2016-2020 drafts.

Obviously there will be other factors and other drafts, but those 5 drafts and the players we select and/or acquire and then develop will be paramount.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Can’t really disagree with this and it’s one of the reasons why the 2018 and 2019 drafts are essential.

I think the Rangers have some good potential to have that core group of players who lead the team, set the tone and play key roles.

But they still need to stock up on that high-end talent. They need a guy like Kravtsov to be that guy on the wings. Frankly they need one of the top talents in this draft - even beyond the obvious names like Hughes or Kakko.

I think the Rangers realize this as well, though I do think it’s going to take some time. But there’s no way around it — The Rangers success for the next 10 years will be driven by the Rangers ability to identify, acquire and develop players taken in the 2016-2020 drafts.

Obviously there will be other factors and other drafts, but those 5 drafts and the players we select and/or acquire and then develop will be paramount.

So wanting the Rangers to have a super high pick for the next few years doesn't mean you "hate the team" , and blindly rooting "for the good ol' boys to win now cuz they the home team " is just some delicious irony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad