10th annual "Official Habs Board Mock Draft" 2016 edition (Part 2) - COMPLETE!

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
:bruins

hmm theres still 3 guys that i really like, nonetheless the Boston Boons are happy to select Brett McKenzie!

1 (14): Logan Brown
1 (20): Samuel Girard
2 (32): Libor Hajek
2 (51): Janne Kuokkanen
5 (134): Tarmo Reunanen
5 (135): Filip Berglund
6 (164): Tim Wahlgren
7 (194): Brett McKenzie

PM'ing next GM

if there's three guys you really like..why did you take McKenzie? Sorry..couldn't pass that one up. ;)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
With their last pick of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, the Detroit Red Wings select, from the Niagara Ice Dogs, goaltender Stannis Baratheon (a.k.a. Stephen Dhillon).

16. Kieffer Bellows
46. Jonathan Dahlen
106. Connor Hall
136. Jordan Sambrook
166. Kristian Reichel
196. Stephen Dhillon

PMing the next GM.

Here's my goalie I talked about. Was going to pick him. Youngest player in the draft. Kid is incredibly raw. He doesn't have the greatest of style....yet. But he he had some very good moments that makes you believe that if he can put it together.....Kid was born September 14th...you can't go younger....

Last edited:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
200px-Nashville_Predators_Logo_%282011%29.svg.png

With it's final pick, Nashville selects defenseman Joseph Masonius, from the UConn Huskies.

masonius_joseph.jpg

Masonius is an agile puck moving, offensive minded rearguard that played U.S. U-18 National team 2 years ago before committing to the University of Connecticut, where he had a strong freshman year.

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I'm a fan of McKenzie. Candidate for breakout next season as he should get a lot of ice in NB.

Yeah I was yanking his chain...he had a semi-breakout this seson..went from 11 goals to 26...had him ranked 104th last season, and some scouting allies liked him..surprised he was not picked

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
:flyers

With our last pick in this draft, we'll go with a third straight overager to close out the draft and we're going back to the QMJHL for a second time. From Drummondville, forward Alex Barré-Boulet.

He's a small center who produced impressive stats on an otherwise talent-deprived Drummondville team. He and Michael Carcone each got 89 pts while the next forwards had 24 (in 27) and 22 pts. Barré-Boulet played the point on the PP and was also good on the PP. While not his best asset, he has interesting speed, but what impressed us was his vision and his drive. Being a smaller player, he has a long road ahead of him, but he has shown skills that could lead him to the NHL someday, or at least a big role on an AHL team. We drafted mostly forwards with size in this draft so we are comfortable with giving a shot to a smaller guy who could become a top-6 player if all goes well (May BD so he played the whole year as a 18 year old).

PM'ing next GM.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
:flyers

18.Dante Fabbro - RD
48. Cliff Pu - C/RW
56. Aapeli Räsänen - C
78. Jack Kopacka - LW
83. Evan Fitzpatrick - G
108. Brandon Gignac - C
138. Ondrej Vala - LD
168. Matt Luff - RW
173. Connor Ingram - G
198. Alex Barré-Boulet - C

Happy with overall haul. Could have done better with the Vala pick I think, but I was rushed and my targeted picks all got picked right before. Very happy with my first 5 picks, too. Finished with 3 overagers who might not be picked, so we won't know right away if they were good gambles, but I do like their chances of becoming pros.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
200px-Nashville_Predators_Logo_%282011%29.svg.png

2016 draft:
17 - Julien Gauthier - RW - Val d'Or Foreurs - QJMHL
47 - Cameron Morrison - C/LW - Youngstown Phantoms - USHL
77 - Simon Stransky - LW - Prince Albert Raiders - WHL
107 - Matthew Phillips - C - Vistoria Royals - WHL
137 - Colby Sissons - LD - Swift Current Broncos - WHL
167 - Colin Grannary - C - Merritt Centennials - BCHL
197 - Joseph Masonius - LD - UConn Huskies - NCAA

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
With the 199th pick, Tampa Bay Lightning are proud to select,
from Shawinigan Cataractes, D Gabriel Sylvestre.

Can someone PM the other GM, on mobile it's painful, thanks :)

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
:sharks:sharks:sharks

With the 200th pick the San Jose Sharks select from the Culver Military Academy in Indiana RW Jack MacNab

cm_22_jack_macnab_ep.jpg

GM says "An absolute behemoth on skates who can drive the net with ease. Pretty good football player too. Reminds me of another big multi sport athlete who went to Notre Dame and is now an NHL player after being taken in the 7th round but was not drafted by Montreal despite Whitesnake's prayers."

Sharks Draft:

2nd -Markus Niemelainen, D
4th- Ross Colton, LW
4th -Todd Burgess, RW
5th - Beck Malenstyn, LW
6th - Jack Lafontaine, G
7th - Jack MacNab, RW

Some good names there, went up the board for Burgess because The Hockey News profiled him...but I guess no one else reads that rag anymore!

This was the best mock draft of the ten years! Really smooth and lots of great info on the picks. Credit to the Commissioner and my fellow GMs.

Next GM PMed

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
:sharks:sharks:sharks

GM says "An absolute behemoth on skates who can drive the net with ease. Pretty good football player too. Reminds me of another big multi sport athlete who went to Notre Dame and is now an NHL player after being taken in the 7th round but was not drafted by Montreal despite Whitesnake's prayers."

:laugh: Who are you talking about?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
With the 199th pick, Tampa Bay Lightning are proud to select,
from Shawinigan Cataractes, D Gabriel Sylvestre.

Can someone PM the other GM, on mobile it's painful, thanks :)

Sylvestre the Cat wasn't taken yet? More likely to be drafted than about 15 Q guys taken ahead of him..some real reaches. Syl was an invite to the Combine..tells you how much he's liked.

Small, soft forwards are not likely to be taken in the draft....and really not ever likely to come close to the NHL. In later rounds you have to look at guy who may play a specific role..checking line or whatever the case...you have to go beyond point totals even more. Thre's a 6-2 center in PG for instance...tough as nails, has some smarts, good penalty killer, good skater....wasn't given an offensive role because he was behind some offensive guys...but someone like that stands a chance at playing checking role in the future.

They're not the sexy picks..but they stand a lot more realistic chance of making the NHL...there have been guys chosen that I wouldn't take in the 15th round. ;)

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Sylvestre the Cat wasn't taken yet? More likely to be drafted than about 15 Q guys taken ahead of him..some real reaches. Syl was an invite to the Combine..tells you how much he's liked.

Small, soft forwards are not likely to be taken in the draft....and really not ever likely to come close to the NHL. In later rounds you have to look at guy who may play a specific role..checking line or whatever the case...you have to go beyond point totals even more. Thre's a 6-2 center in PG for instance...tough as nails, has some smarts, good penalty killer, good skater....wasn't given an offensive role because he was behind some offensive guys...but someone like that stands a chance at playing checking role in the future.

They're not the sexy picks..but they stand a lot more realistic chance of making the NHL...there have been guys chosen that I wouldn't take in the 15th round. ;)

BOB was picked already. BUt probably should have been picked earlier, you are right. Unless you are not talking about him.....which clearly seems to be the case though, I don't see another 6'2'' C.

Dec 2, 2010

~~~:isles:isles:isles~~~

The NY Islanders are proud to select with the 201st pick, from Shattuck St. Mary's, Kenny Johnson

f2thj4nhv4w3d282.jpg

Kenny is a solid defender with a mean streak, can skate and has a good breakout pass.
Grew to 6'3 over the last year. College should build confidence with the puck, he could be a force. Going to be a Wolverine this fall.
Kenny is Jack Motherflubbin' Johnson's younger brother. We'll be sure to keep Daddy Johnson as far away from Kenny's career.

GM PMed.

:isles Draft haul:
21. German Rubtsov
111. Jonathan Ang
171. Connor Bunnaman
192. Nolan Stevens
201. Kenny MF Johnson

Big thank you to Habsfan18 for hosting and everyone else for making this another fun mock draft :cheers:

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
BOB was picked already. BUt probably should have been picked earlier, you are right. Unless you are not talking about him.....which clearly seems to be the case though, I don't see another 6'2'' C.

Gotta think grant is referring to Kody McDonald. Beast of a kid who was actually a very good offensive talent growing up. Wouldn't mention specific names usually but we're nearly through here so can't be a big deal..

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Gotta think grant is referring to Kody McDonald. Beast of a kid who was actually a very good offensive talent growing up. Wouldn't mention specific names usually but we're nearly through here so can't be a big deal..

Don't know him. Says everywhere that he's a right winger...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00