10th annual "Official Habs Board Mock Draft" 2016 edition (Part 2) - COMPLETE!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Don't know him. Says everywhere that he's a right winger...

Played both...will be a C next year I'm sure. Might not be 6-2 either..but close.... and plays like it. Really tough and physical. Had 11 fights this season...not that fighting matters any more..but he's hardnosed.

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Yeah he is a tough sob for sure. Hits to hurt and loves to drop the gloves as you mentioned. I think he will put up a lot more points next year...coached speak very highly of his game and personality too

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Sylvestre the Cat wasn't taken yet? More likely to be drafted than about 15 Q guys taken ahead of him..some real reaches. Syl was an invite to the Combine..tells you how much he's liked.

Small, soft forwards are not likely to be taken in the draft....and really not ever likely to come close to the NHL. In later rounds you have to look at guy who may play a specific role..checking line or whatever the case...you have to go beyond point totals even more. Thre's a 6-2 center in PG for instance...tough as nails, has some smarts, good penalty killer, good skater....wasn't given an offensive role because he was behind some offensive guys...but someone like that stands a chance at playing checking role in the future.

They're not the sexy picks..but they stand a lot more realistic chance of making the NHL...there have been guys chosen that I wouldn't take in the 15th round. ;)

At this point in the mock, I tend to look for 'forgotten' prospects, thought he would be gone by the 5th round. Sylvestre could develop into a defensive D down the road, tools are there, just needs to be more assertive.

But yeah, in a mock like that, there are some big time reaches, in the 4th, I took Daniel Kurovsky, pretty sure he wasn't on any radars, but at that point you take risks (at the same time, Korshkov is a risk in the 2nd round, but digress).

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
First a big thank you to all the people who participate in this draft. It is by far the best one here on HFBoards.

With their final pick of the draft the New York Rangers select from Sault Ste Marie forward Hayden Verbeek.

Hayden comes from great bloodlines as his Uncle is Pat Verbeek and his dad had a great Junior and Minor League career. Hayden plays a lot bigger than his size, is hard on the forecheck and is a pain for the opposition to play against.

Rangers Picks
82-Andrew Peeke
97-Jesper Bratt
142-Andrei Svetlakov
172-Dante Salituro
202-Hayden Verbeek

Next gm notified

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
With the 203rd pick, the Los Angeles Kings select D, Sebastian Aho.

next GM will be PM'd

Los Angeles Kings:

53. Filip Gustavsson, G
113. Anatoli Golyshev, C/W
143. Tyler Soy, C
203. Sebastian Aho, D

I'll be happy if I get 3/4 picks drafted.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
:wild :wild :wild

With the 204th pick, Minnesota selects, from Eden Prairie High School, Michael Graham.

ep04boyshoc.jpg

"Michael did not benefit from a lot of exposure playing High School hockey but we believe he is a diamond in the rough. He displays a tremendous offensive ability and was fairly successful in his short stint in the USHL with the Fargo Force where he will play full time next season. He's a natural leader, a good 2 way player with skill and size. Michael is commited to the University of Notre Dame, he will join them for the 2017-2018 season."

Minnesota Wild 2016 picks:
15. Luke Kunin - C
105. Kasper Bjorkqvist - LW
195. Jake Ryczek - D
204. Michael Graham - C​

Thanks to Habsfan18 for hosting the mock and letting me have a team. Kudos to my fellow GM's, you guys are good and it was nice that we had a good flow to this mock.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Played both...will be a C next year I'm sure. Might not be 6-2 either..but close.... and plays like it. Really tough and physical. Had 11 fights this season...not that fighting matters any more..but he's hardnosed.

How's his skating? 'Cause if it's fine, he's sure worth a late round pick.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
How's his skating? 'Cause if it's fine, he's sure worth a late round pick.

I mentioned in my first post about him that he skates pretty well. I have him in my top 100.

An interesting 1996 to watch at the MC is Colton Bobyk...scored 20 goals on the blueline with a bomb from the point....also has quite an edge to him. Not a great skater or defender...but has a bit of a Sheldon Souray lite feel to him.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Sylvestre the Cat wasn't taken yet? More likely to be drafted than about 15 Q guys taken ahead of him..some real reaches. Syl was an invite to the Combine..tells you how much he's liked.

Small, soft forwards are not likely to be taken in the draft....and really not ever likely to come close to the NHL. In later rounds you have to look at guy who may play a specific role..checking line or whatever the case...you have to go beyond point totals even more. Thre's a 6-2 center in PG for instance...tough as nails, has some smarts, good penalty killer, good skater....wasn't given an offensive role because he was behind some offensive guys...but someone like that stands a chance at playing checking role in the future.

They're not the sexy picks..but they stand a lot more realistic chance of making the NHL...there have been guys chosen that I wouldn't take in the 15th round. ;)

Sylvestre had an interesting 16 year old season, but he had a quiet year this season. One would expect much more production for a player who was on the best team of its division. Not liking where he's trending to personally. I can see why teams like him, nice frame , can skate. But at some point you have to be involved more.

As for Deschênes he was hyped after he made midget AAA at 14. Had an interesting year at 15, but then he got caught by the other players of his age and they never looked back. He was advantaged younger as he grew faster than most, but his dominance must have been mostly due to his size advantaged, parce qu'il a rien cassé dans le junior. The kid is very near to a bust in my book. (No offense to whoever picked him, im sure many people think that of some of my picks too!). Its only a 7th rounder anyway, no biggie.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The finish line is in sight! 210 picks in 3 weeks! Barely any missed picks too. We da best. :box:

Incredibly impressive. Didn't we finish last year like 1 week prior to the draft or something? Somehow, it's surely a sign to Habsfan18 that we don't want him to stop doing it!!!!! Stay!!!!

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Incredibly impressive. Didn't we finish last year like 1 week prior to the draft or something? Somehow, it's surely a sign to Habsfan18 that we don't want him to stop doing it!!!!! Stay!!!!

The magic of the Habs being awful and not making playoffs. :laugh:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
The finish line is in sight! 210 picks in 3 weeks! Barely any missed picks too. We da best. :box:

Definitely impressive! Fantastic work, guys!

I'm almost positive this will be my last year "running" it, although I guess we don't know for sure until the time comes. But it's you guys that help make this mock draft what it is each year, so as long as most are back, I'm sure it will be in good hands.

he'll stay, as a drafter :3

That I do know for sure. Even if I don't continue to run it, I'd love to still take part as a drafter.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Whoever got Wade Allison might feel good on draft day. He's killed it in the USHL playoffs.

Yeah, stop pretending you don't know who took him...it's Grant....obviously. ;)

MVP of the playoffs, that will skyrocket his position at draft day.

Last edited:

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
At this point in the mock, I tend to look for 'forgotten' prospects, thought he would be gone by the 5th round. Sylvestre could develop into a defensive D down the road, tools are there, just needs to be more assertive.

But yeah, in a mock like that, there are some big time reaches, in the 4th, I took Daniel Kurovsky, pretty sure he wasn't on any radars, but at that point you take risks (at the same time, Korshkov is a risk in the 2nd round, but digress).

Kurovsky was in the mix for my pick right before your

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
About to pick for Anaheim.....asked him what his preferences were....no response. So in respect to our "professionnal" on this board, and who had a tremendous draft so far, I,ll pick his guy. Let just say that if Jeffrey would have asked Grant....that would have been his choice. And Jeffrey will probably have one of the greatest ratio come draft day with that. So give me a second....

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
:ducks:ducks:ducks:ducks

So Jeffrey, the Anaheim Ducks Head Scout, was incapacitated today and defer his pick to me, Whitesnake, who in return, defer the pick to Mr. Grant McCagg. So this selection is a McCagg's special.....and he chooses....KODY MACDONALD from the Prince Georges Cougars. I'll let Mr. McCagg give his own evaluation of MacDonald who I just know nothing about....

Thre's a 6-2 center in PG for instance...tough as nails, has some smarts, good penalty killer, good skater....wasn't given an offensive role because he was behind some offensive guys...but someone like that stands a chance at playing checking role in the future.

dw_kody_mcdonald_prince_george-2.jpg

I will PM the next GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad