OT: 105th Obsequious Banter Thread: Penny for Your Thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I don't know who this Judge guy is... but why is it a big deal that he hit 62 HRs? Isn't the record already higher than that?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Well friends, tomorrow I have to take my old friend Goober the Wonder Dog in for his final appointment to head over the rainbow bridge. He was a good boy. A gentle giant. Only wanted to eat and be loved, and that's what he did. Voted Dog of the Year by the National Academy of Dogs every year since we got him in 2012 when he was somewhere around 2 years old or so. He will be missed.

PXL_20221004_234855546.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221004_230602214.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221004_220804994.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221004_190712783.jpg

PXL_20221002_141621863.jpg

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Well friends, tomorrow I have to take my old friend Goober the Wonder Dog in for his final appointment to head over the rainbow bridge. He was a good boy. A gentle giant. Only wanted to eat and be loved, and that's what he did. Voted Dog of the Year by the National Academy of Dogs every since we got him in 2012 when he was somewhere around 2 years old or so. He will be missed.
Boop.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't know who this Judge guy is... but why is it a big deal that he hit 62 HRs? Isn't the record already higher than that?
Aaron Judge hit his 62nd Home Run last night for the New York Yankees of the American League. The previous record was 61 home runs which was held by Roger Maris, also of the New York Yankees.

Baseball keeps separate records between the American and National League and the number 61 has been held by some people to be the "real" record because Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire all were involved in PED scandals that came out after the fact.

The real Major League record is 73 which is held by Barry Bonds and is still the official record.

TL;DR talk to me again in ten years when it comes out that Judge was juicing also.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Well friends, tomorrow I have to take my old friend Goober the Wonder Dog in for his final appointment to head over the rainbow bridge. He was a good boy. A gentle giant. Only wanted to eat and be loved, and that's what he did. Voted Dog of the Year by the National Academy of Dogs every since we got him in 2012 when he was somewhere around 2 years old or so. He will be missed.

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968

View attachment 590969

View attachment 590970

View attachment 590971
So sorry. It sucks so much but the joy they give you is worth it. And it sounds like you gave him his best life.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I am experimenting with features. I have questions for the masses.

1) do you regulars have the "add threadmark" function under posts? I assume not.
2) do you have the "Index" button above and to the right of the reply box? If you open it, can you view threadmarks?
I'm just relieved I can make gif's work on here. Please don't push my brain any further!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968

View attachment 590969

View attachment 590970

View attachment 590971
I'm sorry for your loss, DFF. This is the heartbreaking part of being a pet owner. May your happy memories be a strong comfort to you!

And please get your next dog an appropriately-sized skateboard that she/he can actually ride, for goodness sake!! ;)

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Aaron Judge hit his 62nd Home Run last night for the New York Yankees of the American League. The previous record was 61 home runs which was held by Roger Maris, also of the New York Yankees.

Baseball keeps separate records between the American and National League and the number 61 has been held by some people to be the "real" record because Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire all were involved in PED scandals that came out after the fact.

The real Major League record is 73 which is held by Barry Bonds and is still the official record.

TL;DR talk to me again in ten years when it comes out that Judge was juicing also.

Ah makes sense. So the division between "leagues" is stronger than, say, between NHL conferences?

So those guys were able to retain their records even after being caught for using PEDs? Why?

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968

View attachment 590969

View attachment 590970

View attachment 590971
He looks loved. I’m sure he enjoyed his life immensely.
I’m sorry for your loss though man.

f*** cancer, man.

My grandmother passed away last night. She was 84, and had been dealing with various kinds for about a decade now, but she developed lymphoma a few months ago, and that was just too much for her to fight off.
f*** man I’m sorry, that’s terrible. If you need an ear hit me up. I’m not licensed in anything but I listen well.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968

View attachment 590969

View attachment 590970

View attachment 590971

Sorry for your loss my internet friend

f*** cancer, man.

My grandmother passed away last night. She was 84, and had been dealing with various kinds for about a decade now, but she developed lymphoma a few months ago, and that was just too much for her to fight off.

Sorry for your loss as well. My lord...

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Ah makes sense. So the division between "leagues" is stronger than, say, between NHL conferences?

So those guys were able to retain their records even after being caught for using PEDs? Why?
That is correct. Up until recently the AL and NL teams didn't really play each other outside of a couple week period of interleague play and then the World Series. Now there's a bit more intermingling.

They also started as completely different baseball leagues dating back to the late 1800's (NL) and early 1900's (AL) so there's a lot more history there.

I think the praise of the record was completely overblown here and it was nauseating but that's the reasoning behind it.

Now the why to your question is not a simple answer. MLB was in a bad place after the strike in the mid 90's and lets just say the home run chases of the late nineties essentially saved the sport with the American public. Major League Baseball knew that these players were juicing but since it benefitted them they looked the other way. That's really what it comes down to. I'm a bit cloudy on the in's and out's of it all but I don't believe that those three ever officially tested positive for steroids but they were well known users. The general public a lot of people put an asterisk next to the record but it IS the record whether they like it or not.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968

View attachment 590969

View attachment 590970

View attachment 590971
Best boy. Sorry to hear. They're never with us long enough.
f*** cancer, man.

My condolences. Cancer can get ****ed.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
f*** cancer, man.

Sorry for your loss... Cancer needs to be cured not just a way to treat it. Of course with the many forms that is easier said then done.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That is correct. Up until recently the AL and NL teams didn't really play each other outside of a couple week period of interleague play and then the World Series. Now there's a bit more intermingling.

They also started as completely different baseball leagues dating back to the late 1800's (NL) and early 1900's (AL) so there's a lot more history there.

I think the praise of the record was completely overblown here and it was nauseating but that's the reasoning behind it.

Now the why to your question is not a simple answer. MLB was in a bad place after the strike in the mid 90's and lets just say the home run chases of the late nineties essentially saved the sport with the American public. Major League Baseball knew that these players were juicing but since it benefitted them they looked the other way. That's really what it comes down to. I'm a bit cloudy on the in's and out's of it all but I don't believe that those three ever officially tested positive for steroids but they were well known users. The general public a lot of people put an asterisk next to the record but it IS the record whether they like it or not.

Just to add on to this, it seems the only punishment that MLB has settled is that McGwire, Bonds, and Sosa..among others included in the scandal such as Roger Clemens, will never be inducted in the Baseball HOF despite HOF career numbers.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Just to add on to this, it seems the only punishment that MLB has settled is that McGwire, Bonds, and Sosa..among others included in the scandal such as Roger Clemens, will never be inducted in the Baseball HOF despite HOF career numbers.
Major League Baseball has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame. That’s all on the writers.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

While everyone was assuming Bonds was guilty (with good reason) and talking about him as if he had been found out, no one said a WORD about Clemens. I told absolutely everyone I knew "If you don't think THAT guy is juicing when he knows that hitters are, you are crazy. That's the most competitive guy on Earth." It's just a huge stupid shitstorm that I can't be bothered to care about. I'm pretty sure my boy Mike Greenwell was clean, and he and Junior are all I care about.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Well friends, tomorrow I have to take my old friend Goober the Wonder Dog in for his final appointment to head over the rainbow bridge. He was a good boy. A gentle giant. Only wanted to eat and be loved, and that's what he did. Voted Dog of the Year by the National Academy of Dogs every year since we got him in 2012 when he was somewhere around 2 years old or so. He will be missed.

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968

View attachment 590969

View attachment 590970

View attachment 590971
That is a good pupper right there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad