GDT: #10 | Boston Bruins vs Pittsburgh Penguins | 11/1/22 8:00 PM EST | For Animal Supremacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Two things:
1. I bet these boys come out FLYING. I can't imagine getting embarrassed 0-4 in Canada is sitting well with any of them. They will be looking for some vengeance. I think DOC is going to take the biggest bite he possibly can. This may be his shot to take a more permanent role on the roster. In my opinion, there are still "openings" up for grabs.

2. What happened to Carter? Had to miss the Kraken game due to Halloween-related shenanigans.
I would like nothing more than DOC to do something tangible.

So far he does a whole lot of noticeable skating without impacting actual plays at the NHL level. Basically the tools are good but I'm unsure where he set down the tool box.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would like nothing more than DOC to do something tangible.

So far he does a whole lot of noticeable skating without impacting actual plays at the NHL level. Basically the tools are good but I'm unsure where he set down the tool box.
That's fair to an extent. If he is making plays that is for the overall betterment of the team, then he's doing fine. Like Zucker is on Geno's line to be a speedy, puck retriever, who can get physical, get the net, etc. I could care less about production as long as Malkin and Rust are producing, ya know?

So DOC, I'm willing to look at overall impact not necessarily just the scoresheet. I take it that is what you meant by "tangible".

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
That's fair to an extent. If he is making plays that is for the overall betterment of the team, then he's doing fine. Like Zucker is on Geno's line to be a speedy, puck retriever, who can get physical, get the net, etc. I could care less about production as long as Malkin and Rust are producing, ya know?

So DOC, I'm willing to look at overall impact not necessarily just the scoresheet. I take it that is what you meant by "tangible".
If DOC doesn't get a point but his line dominates play and/or his line scores. Yes that's ok. I just have seen many shifts from him where he's hustling but it's not generating an impact towards the play.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
82TSpt7.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If DOC doesn't get a point but his line dominates play and/or his line scores. Yes that's ok. I just have seen many shifts from him where he's hustling but it's not generating an impact towards the play.
It's not static that a +/- being even means good work. Obviously if you are allow a goal (negative) you hurt the company of 5 on ES. If every line is -even- then have they succeeded? Someone on some line has to score to even make other lines _at least_ to hold even that would count as at least 'helping the team'.
But it floats. if no player scores. Even is ... baseline decent... depending on the objective of that line. L3 and L4 even... yes... good. L1 and L2 even... also, better than not good, but not bringing in the W.
So.... every stat varies along the lines of how a player / line contributes to the team.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
It's not static that a +/- being even means good work. Obviously if you are allow a goal (negative) you hurt the company of 5 on ES. If every line is -even- then have they succeeded? Someone on some line has to score to even make other lines _at least_ to hold even that would count as at least 'helping the team'.
But it floats. if no player scores. Even is ... baseline decent... depending on the objective of that line. L3 and L4 even... yes... good. L1 and L2 even... also, better than not good, but not bringing in the W.
So.... every stat varies along the lines of how a player / line contributes to the team.
I understand all of this. My point still rings true. DOC has the skills to be an NHLer. But in his showings so far he is largely noticeable but not impactful.

He needs to put himself into better spots on the ice. If he does he'll be a good player.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Yes, Sully. We need new combos because the first ones were so horrible.
I thought the Pens had an analytics department and coaches who were involved in hockey for several decades?

Dude's getting annoying.

Lol that means there was no reasoning behind it. :laugh:

“The complexities of my 5D hockey chess are too complex for your mortal minds to fathom.”

The penguins have a video team that is so diligent and astute that they're never wrong about disallowed goals or offside calls. For whatever reason, nobody can watch the product on the ice and realize that rakell should be with Crosby and rust with Malkin.
It’s gonna come out at some point that the analytics nerds were actually screaming to keep Rackell with Crosby but got overruled constantly. :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That means that Sid said "I want Rust back on my line".

Everyone should be able to read between those lines at this point.

Reactions: RSPens and Andy99

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

I thought the Pens had an analytics department and coaches who were involved in hockey for several decades?

Dude's getting annoying.

This is the old school coaching "let's shake things up" BS without any rhyme or reason to it, and certainly with no way to explain it. Why do we need our best defensive winger playing with a center who gets all his draws in the O zone?

I fully expected Rust to be back on L1 the first chance they got. It's just a very Sully thing to do.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Dude's getting annoying.

"Crosby needs to win every board battle himself. He shouldn't be relying on his wingers"

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Rakell was playing like Hornqvist with hands who could pass. He should be with Sid, let them develop chemistry ffs.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Pretty hilarious how the team falls apart and Sully's idea of a fix is take our best performing wing this year away from the HOF center he's built chemistry with.

I almost want us to go on a 10 game slide to see if Sully can get fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad