Post-Game Talk: 10/15 Game #2 - Bruins look listless in a 4-1 loss to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
It's only 2 games, but statistically speaking, the numbers STRONGLY suggest they need to split up Krug-O'Gara and the Czarnik line.

Both of those groups (led by Hayes, ROG, Czarnik and Krug) are giving up tons of shots against while generating almost none for. The team also does significantly better when they're off the ice.

I'd be interested to see Liles and O'Gara play together. Liles has been very steady IMO. His numbers are good too.

What about Krug-Carlo and Chara-Miller?

Up front I think one of Spooner or Backes needs to move back to center the 3rd line. That 3rd line is a weight around this team's neck right now. Which is a shame, because unless they scratch Czarnik and move a 4th liner up to center the 3rd line, we're never going to get to see Spooner-Krejci-Backes together.

Krug better be playing hurt because if he isn't ? oh boy this D is worst than planed. He looks slower and to eager to give up the puck in fear of getting hit.

This whole premise of not wanting to add him in a trade for some of the rumored guys out there is mind boggling to me.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
It's only 2 games, but statistically speaking, the numbers STRONGLY suggest they need to split up Krug-O'Gara and the Czarnik line.

Both of those groups (led by Hayes, ROG, Czarnik and Krug) are giving up tons of shots against while generating almost none for. The team also does significantly better when they're off the ice.

I'd be interested to see Liles and O'Gara play together. Liles has been very steady IMO. His numbers are good too.

What about Krug-Carlo and Chara-Miller?

Up front I think one of Spooner or Backes needs to move back to center the 3rd line. That 3rd line is a weight around this team's neck right now. Which is a shame, because unless they scratch Czarnik and move a 4th liner up to center the 3rd line, we're never going to get to see Spooner-Krejci-Backes together.

I don't think we'll see much changes on the blue line until McQuaid is healthy. He'll probably go back to playing next to Krug with O'Gara being sent down to play in Providence as he can pass through waivers.

Krejci needs a shooter desperately. The 3rd line will probably be a black hole unless Beleskey and Hayes play on separate lines. Czarnik needs to move to wing until he can prove he can win a face off. Pasta has shown good chemistry with Marchand but you may have to run something like:

Marchand-Begeron-Czarnik
Spooner-Krejci-Hayes
Beleskey-Backes-Pastrnak
Heinen-Moore-Nash

Vatrano when he proves his health can slide in for Hayes. Frankly all the 3rd line center options outside of Backes suck.

I'm also willing to go with

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Heinen-Krejci-Backes
Beleskey-Spooner-Hayes
Acciari-Moore-Nash

I think that line would do much better for Krejci, 3rd line sucks, but 1 and 2 are good to great, 4th line has shown an ability to play. Suck it up and shelter the 3rd line.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't think we'll see much changes on the blue line until McQuaid is healthy. He'll probably go back to playing next to Krug with O'Gara being sent down to play in Providence as he can pass through waivers.

Krejci needs a shooter desperately. The 3rd line will probably be a black hole unless Beleskey and Hayes play on separate lines. Czarnik needs to move to wing until he can prove he can win a face off. Pasta has shown good chemistry with Marchand but you may have to run something like:

Marchand-Begeron-Czarnik
Spooner-Krejci-Hayes
Beleskey-Backes-Pastrnak
Heinen-Moore-Nash

Vatrano when he proves his health can slide in for Hayes. Frankly all the 3rd line center options outside of Backes suck.

I'm also willing to go with

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Heinen-Krejci-Backes
Beleskey-Spooner-Hayes
Acciari-Moore-Nash

I think that line would do much better for Krejci, 3rd line sucks, but 1 and 2 are good to great, 4th line has shown an ability to play. Suck it up and shelter the 3rd line.

The Spooner - Krej - Backes line was very effective hoping to see that come back together when Bergeron returns

I would go with

Spooner Krejci Back
March Berg Heinen/Pasta
Csar Moore Pasta/Heinen
Ace Nash Debrusk

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
That looked like a teenager mouthing off to his dad and getting a whooping for it.

You have to be kidding. Too bad Krug, can't take a hit and Chara has to respond to in a 4 -1 game?
Chara was just happy to get 7 minutes in penalties so he didn't have be on the ice any more.

If Chara wanted to help the Bruins, he better get back to being a good Dman. He seems to have lost it in the way of mobility and speed (I don't blame him) just an aging fact.

That fight with Martin was the only time Chara touched a Leaf all night. They walked around him all night.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
You have to be kidding. Too bad Krug, can't take a hit and Chara has to respond to in a 4 -1 game?
Chara was just happy to get 7 minutes in penalties so he didn't have be on the ice any more.

If Chara wanted to help the Bruins, he better get back to being a good Dman. He seems to have lost it in the way of mobility and speed (I don't blame him) just an aging fact.

That fight with Martin was the only time Chara touched a Leaf all night. They walked around him all night.

Shouldn't you be at the parade ?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

This is why you can't let the Leafs win. They get one win against their division rivals and their fans celebrate like it's 1966-67

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Chara also had two massive hits on Leafs, perhaps the only two hits a B's player had all night.

Leafs are going nowhere with just one good forward and one good D regardless.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Heinen doesn't belong in the NHL just yet.

You can say the same thing about several members of the team at this point. I have no illusions that this will be a very difficult season for us. As we did with Pasta last year, I'm all up for keeping as many kids on the club as possible. I'm getting tired of the axiomatic assumption that kids need to play in the A and then somehow graduate slowly to the NHL. I'd rather they get as much NHL experience as they can stand.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Heinen doesn't belong in the NHL just yet.

Agreed. But that doesn't stop them from giving the guy a first line role, and more PP time than Marchand and Pasta. :laugh:

It's like when they had Fraser skating on the top line and then waived him a week later.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Agreed. But that doesn't stop them from giving the guy a first line role, and more PP time than Marchand and Pasta. :laugh:

It's like when they had Fraser skating on the top line and then waived him a week later.

I wonder if they're keeping Heinen until Vatrano is ready to play. I like the proposal (above) of having him on a line with Krejci and Backes.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I wonder if they're keeping Heinen until Vatrano is ready to play. I like the proposal (above) of having him on a line with Krejci and Backes.

I supposed, but why give him more PP time than far more established options? It's insanity to see that after last year Marchand still can't sniff first unit PP time. He's literally their best scorer. WTF are they thinking?

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Liles would probably a #6 D on most teams but he is close to our best right now.

Carlo is making young mistakes but I like what I see, he has a strong upside.

O'Gara is okay, I think his ceiling is the McQuaid, K. Miller range when he gains more experience.

Krug is not close to game shape and it's understandable but it really showed last night.

C Miller looks like a career AHL D-man to me, he may be fast but he is not strong on his skates and he can't handle the puck.

Chara's career is over and it's going to be tough to watch this year. I feel bad for the guy.

K Miller and McQuaid will help but this is bad.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Liles would probably a #6 D on most teams but he is close to our best right now.

Carlo is making young mistakes but I like what I see, he has a strong upside.

O'Gara is okay, I think his ceiling is the McQuaid, K. Miller range when he gains more experience.

Krug is not close to game shape and it's understandable but it really showed last night.

C Miller looks like a career AHL D-man to me, he may be fast but he is not strong on his skates and he can't handle the puck.

Chara's career is over and it's going to be tough to watch this year. I feel bad for the guy.

K Miller and McQuaid will help but this is bad.

And that says it all, doesn't it? If McQuaid and Kevan Miller are big upgrades, that shows you how dire their situation is on the backend. It's terrible.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I would get Morrow in for Miller right now though.

Yeah, CMiller has looked baaaad. But really, has anyone on d looked actually good? I mean Krug has been bad. Chara is just too old and slow. Carlo is too young and making mistakes. Liles has been just okay, and that's the high water mark. :laugh:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I supposed, but why give him more PP time than far more established options? It's insanity to see that after last year Marchand still can't sniff first unit PP time. He's literally their best scorer. WTF are they thinking?

I agree with you on that.

I would get Morrow in for Miller right now though.

The problem is that Morrow is a left shot, while Colin Miller is a righty. Having said that, I would like to see Morrow play regularly.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't think 2 games will tell us much about where they'll end up, but as shaky as the D has looked, both as indiviudals and the group as a whole, at least three of the goals they've given up have been entirely the fault of the goaltender.

That's what? 40% of their GA....that were not the fault of the defense?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't think 2 games will tell us much about where they'll end up, but as shaky as the D has looked, both as indiviudals and the group as a whole, at least three of the goals they've given up have been entirely the fault of the goaltender.

That's what? 40% of their GA....that were not the fault of the defense?

Great point.

Last year Rask really f-ed the team out of the gate giving up softies at home where we played bad enough to begin with.

We really really have to pray that is it for 4-5 games on soft goals. If Rask starts letting them in at home Opening Night or against Montreal it could be a long season.

If Krejci can snap out of it soon and look like Krejci against Winnipeg or NJ as does Krug we will be OK. But we are in no position to let those 2 and the goalies struggle early and ease into the season.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
You're gonna have games like this when half your D corps is inexperienced - 2 rookies and a near-rook (C Miller). And your back-up goalie looks rusty.

I'd like to keep Carlo around and send O'Gara and CMiller to Prov once KMiller and McQuade are ready.

Hope Backes' hand isn't hurt too bad. He's got a history with Khadri. Wonder if he should have maybe not taken the bait there, especially as we're already down a C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad