Post-Game Talk: 10/15 Game #2 - Bruins look listless in a 4-1 loss to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
totally shut down hockey legend Auston Matthews, was a successful night, good game guys.

Carlo and O'Gara have really impressed me so far. Another good game by both of them, O'Gara I think has played a good smart and simple game and moves the puck well, covered Krugs mistakes a few times too.

Carlo looks ready for me, will be a major learning year for him, but he doesn't look out of place to me, so smooth.

Pasta looks great.

4th line looks so much better than last few seasons, Nash and Moore both seem to be great PKers too.

That's about all I got for good.

we got in a hole with some soft goals, C.Miller looks like Wideman minus all of Wideman's pros.

He just doesn't look strong enough and that Liles-Miller pairing just doesnt work, not strong enough along the boards, VERY poor net front presence, can't clear the front of the net...just not a good pairing. Also C.Millers decision making...so bad, I'm not sure he has the hockey IQ to make it, gotta work on thinking the game at that higher pace of NHL.

Maybe let Morrow step in and see what happens?

Yah, C Miller has me worried. I'm a fan but he isn't winning any points. I'm afraid he's will be in Providence soon. Weak on positioning and taking the body. His best asset, his shot, isn't being used. He defers the shot to someone else when he has a chance. Oh well, here's to K Miller and McQuaid.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Im not overly worried. Its just the start. I believe they need to invest the year into some of these kids because I think they have the talent and its an investment. I dont know how many skaters out there tonight have 2 or less years but I expect ups and downs all year long.

Im just glad to see the investment being made.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Im not overly worried. Its just the start. I believe they need to invest the year into some of these kids because I think they have the talent and its an investment. I dont know how many skaters out there tonight have 2 or less years but I expect ups and downs all year long.

Im just glad to see the investment being made.

Pastrnak - Will get his 100th NHL game on Monday.
Heinen - 2 GP
Czarnik -2 GP
Acciari - 21 GP
Carlo - 2 GP
O'Gara - 2 GP
Colin - 44 GP

Chara with more GP then the entire other 5 combined. 1325 vs 1093 (1141 if you want to throw in Morrow)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Pastrnak - Will get his 100th NHL game on Monday.
Heinen - 2 GP
Czarnik -2 GP
Acciari - 21 GP
Carlo - 2 GP
O'Gara - 2 GP
Colin - 44 GP

Chara with more GP then the entire other 5 combined. 1325 vs 1093 (1141 if you want to throw in Morrow)

Thanks Pia.
I believe that info is very relevant. That those that wanted youth to be served, myself included, must also temper expectations short term.

You know the old cant have your cake and eat it too. There will be ups and downs.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Hopefully 'Sheppy' finally shuts the **** up about Chara not fighting. He put a beat down on one of the toughest in the league.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Chara was the player on the ice for the Bruins tonight and it wasn't close. That was one bad performance from the coach on down.

very disappointing regardless of what number game on the schedule it was.

Well I did commit to being positive this year so at least Rask was able to some rest

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Very much liked Carlo and O'Gara. Colin Miller had a rough night after a good opener.

Anton was bad. Have to think this one might be a win or atleast a point with Rask in net.

First line was fine, but they're the only line that has a chance at scoring.

Other two lines are not even worth rolling out.

We got smoked at the dot. Totally unacceptable.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
If the Bs are to make the playoffs we have to be better than the Leafs.
Worried about goal tending, 2 games in a row, 2 different goalies, 6 goals.
Not really the Defense because we are outshooting our opponents.

Not worried at all!
Neither team a threat for post season.
Like what I see with B,s.
Like the young guys , only hope Chara takes a FO job for his last season!
Last night's game was totally on the vets!
Duffy in Mineville.

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
Kind of frustrating game to watch, but trying to keep a few things in mind:

No Bergeron

Krejci not 100% it seems; needs Backes on his wing maybe?

Czarnik and Heinen only have two NHL games each - growing pains; Czarnik needs to either try RW, work on faceoffs or have someone else take draws but still play the middle (Hayes actually won a faceoff on that line). Like his game other than the faceoffs

Beleskey and Hayes probably shouldn't be on the same line (mind you I don't think either necessarily had a terrible game, they just don't seem to work well together)

Krug doesn't look 100% yet either

It's the second game of the season

Lots of time to turn things around, but still frustrating to see them fall in a hole early in games. Toronto also played very well.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Very much liked Carlo and O'Gara. Colin Miller had a rough night after a good opener.

Anton was bad. Have to think this one might be a win or atleast a point with Rask in net.

First line was fine, but they're the only line that has a chance at scoring.

Other two lines are not even worth rolling out.

We got smoked at the dot. Totally unacceptable.
Backes was just 6 for 21 tonight (28.6%) and he's 15 for 44 through the first two games (34.1%.) Really poor.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A few thoughts on this one.

Krejci is clearly not 100%. He's healthy enough to play, just no jump in his step, an irregular off-season and camp will do that. Compared to the Krejci who started last year healthy looks like a different player.

Belesky I thought had a better game than the CBJ game.

Pastrnak is going to have a big year.

I like Chara's response to the hit on Krug by Martin.

Czarnik isn't ready to play C at this level yet. Put him on the wing.

Carlo another strong game. Most impressive game for my money he's had thus far, regular and preseason. He keeps this up he's here all year.

Krug like Krejci isn't back up to speed yet following surgury. I though he was bad tonight.

O'Gara another pretty good game. Between him and Carlo staying up it's Carlo, but he's played pretty good.

Liles played well I thought. No complaints.

Colin Miller had a better game on Thursday than he did tonight.

Spooner with Krejci does not work. I don't know how much of that is Krejci being less than 100%, but 2nd game in a row they got nothing done. Perhaps this Spooner as a winger thing isn't going to work. Kinda early but results so far are not good.

Heinen once again didn't do anything to look out of place. Give him time and the points will come. His positioning is very solid.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Krejci is clearly not 100%. He's healthy enough to play, just no jump in his step, an irregular off-season and camp will do that. Compared to the Krejci who started last year healthy looks like a different player.

Carlo another strong game. Most impressive game for my money he's had thus far, regular and preseason. He keeps this up he's here all year.

Krug like Krejci isn't back up to speed yet following surgury. I though he was bad tonight.

O'Gara another pretty good game. Between him and Carlo staying up it's Carlo, but he's played pretty good.

Spooner with Krejci does not work. I don't know how much of that is Krejci being less than 100%, but 2nd game in a row they got nothing done. Perhaps this Spooner as a winger thing isn't going to work. Kinda early but results so far are not good.

Heinen once again didn't do anything to look out of place. Give him time and the points will come. His positioning is very solid.

It doesn't look good. I'm not sure what they end up doing with him. I'd like to see Heinen-Krejci-Backes, it could turn into a good second line, but I DO NOT want to see Beleskey-Spooner-Hayes. With the 4th line much improved, maybe you can suffer through a sub par '3rd' line

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It doesn't look good. I'm not sure what they end up doing with him. I'd like to see Heinen-Krejci-Backes, it could turn into a good second line, but I DO NOT want to see Beleskey-Spooner-Hayes. With the 4th line much improved, maybe you can suffer through a sub par '3rd' line

Which is pretty much the problem, we know full well Belesky-Spooner-Hayes just doesn't work either. And Czarnik isn't ready to play C at this level yet. I've wanted Backes at C but with Krejci not going and Spooner the winger experiment having poor results, perhaps it's best to bite the bullet, give Backes to Krejci and just take what you can get out of 39-51-11 once Bergeron is ready to go.

Might take awhile for all the lines to fall into place.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Going to be a rocky start but enjoying some of the younger guys getting a look.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

This is no place for rational thinking and constructive posts. :)

Well done.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Good post, although Carlo had some trouble keeping up with Marner's speed tonight; took him to the outside a few times (including on the goal). Needs to pivot quicker.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Tough game to watch. They tried hard, but they were so sloppy and disorganized. I think some of that could be the result of so many kids and so many new faces. When breakdowns happen, they overcompensate, they dive and slide and take themselves out of the play doing too much. They need a couple calming influences in the mix. Bergeron will certainly help...

They have to do something about Czarnik's line. Two of the goals came directly off face-off losses by Little Z. I know the sabremetric folks say face-offs don't affect scoring chances, but it's hard to believe when you see so many in the Cup Finals and in these games. Even in my own team's games, we lost 4-2 today but both our goals came off face-off plays.

Didn't like the Marner goal on Dobby. Another unscreened wrist shot from the tops of the circles.

Thought O'Gara looked much better tonight. Kudos to Claude for keeping him in (I would have given Morrow a shot). Thought Carlo was a little out of control, had some McQuaid moments where he went so hard he ended up falling on his face or missing his man, but I like that he wanted to be a difference maker. Liked his game overall.

Liles with a great pass to Pasta for the goal. #88 had 6 more shots on goal.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Backes was just 6 for 21 tonight (28.6%) and he's 15 for 44 through the first two games (34.1%.) Really poor.

I just read in the Globe that Backes hurt is hand in the Kadri fight and he was not made available to the media after the game. With Bergeron out if Backes can't play Monday then that is looking like a rough game.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I just read in the Globe that Backes hurt is hand in the Kadri fight and he was not made available to the media after the game. With Bergeron out if Backes can't play Monday then that is looking like a rough game.
Here's photo evidence:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Leafs had an even younger lineup. Their speed showed as did their nonstop hustle. That covered up a so so defence and protected a goalie who has a lot to prove.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Agree with everything.

Thought Dobby was kinda ******. Whatever. Bergeron is back soon hopefully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad