Post-Game Talk: 10/15 Game #2 - Bruins look listless in a 4-1 loss to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
....and if Las Vegas doesn't claim him???

Well, he can drop his NTC and they can use him in a trade for a #1/2 defenseman.:dunno:

Just had surgery on his hip, that can't be easy with no training camp.

AGREED!

Colin was less than impressive. I'm wondering if his sitting so much last year has destroyed his confidence?!!?

Whaaaat??? O'Gara is going to be great and was the least of their problems in the first 2 games.:shakehead

Of course. Another young player ruined by Clode the kid killer.

O'Gara great? Defenition of great please.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
A few thoughts on this one.

Krejci is clearly not 100%. He's healthy enough to play, just no jump in his step, an irregular off-season and camp will do that. Compared to the Krejci who started last year healthy looks like a different player.

Belesky I thought had a better game than the CBJ game.

Pastrnak is going to have a big year.

I like Chara's response to the hit on Krug by Martin.

Czarnik isn't ready to play C at this level yet. Put him on the wing.

Carlo another strong game. Most impressive game for my money he's had thus far, regular and preseason. He keeps this up he's here all year.

Krug like Krejci isn't back up to speed yet following surgury. I though he was bad tonight.

O'Gara another pretty good game. Between him and Carlo staying up it's Carlo, but he's played pretty good.

Liles played well I thought. No complaints.

Colin Miller had a better game on Thursday than he did tonight.

Spooner with Krejci does not work. I don't know how much of that is Krejci being less than 100%, but 2nd game in a row they got nothing done. Perhaps this Spooner as a winger thing isn't going to work. Kinda early but results so far are not good.

Heinen once again didn't do anything to look out of place. Give him time and the points will come. His positioning is very solid.

Agree with everything here.

I would add. Carlo looks solid defensively especially considering it's only his 2nd NHL game. I do have some concerns about the offensive side of things where he shows little of anything resembling creativity. Just seems to go for the dump in the corner or a weak wrister when ever he has the puck in the OZ. I know D is his strong suit but he'll have to get better offensively.

Though I am a fan, Dobby blew it for this game, let's hope it's just a bad game for him.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think that was important for Chara to do. Let's Martin know he's not gonna let him run around this season. I think Martin learned that real quick...poor guy at 6'3" 220 lbs couldn't come close to reaching him

I couldn't agree more. Chara just set the tone for future Leafs/ Bruins games. If Martin was expecting to run wild on Bruins players he now knows Chara will be there with a response.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
This was the type of game I expect from this team throughout the season. Defensive breakdowns, weak clearing attempts, and offensive pressure nixed before ever leaving our own zone.

This team will steal a few games because we have talent up front and in net. This team will also lose a lot of games simple because of glaring mistakes. A lot of good tape to review for the team after this one, both on how to defend the dump and chase (Toronto did a clinic on this in the first period), and on how not to breakout the puck.

I will also add that the puck was bouncing all night. This team always seems to struggle with that. I wonder if the 90 minute pregame did something to the ice surface.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This was the type of game I expect from this team throughout the season. Defensive breakdowns, weak clearing attempts, and offensive pressure nixed before ever leaving our own zone.

This team will steal a few games because we have talent up front and in net. This team will also lose a lot of games simple because of glaring mistakes. A lot of good tape to review for the team after this one, both on how to defend the dump and chase (Toronto did a clinic on this in the first period), and on how not to breakout the puck.

I will also add that the puck was bouncing all night. This team always seems to struggle with that. I wonder if the 90 minute pregame did something to the ice surface.

I think what happened is this team played a team who`s bloody fast and has some nice talent. Like the Leafs (but a little less so), the B`s have a wack of young players on the ice and it`s going to result in nights like this.

Beleskey and Hayes absolutely invisible and ineffective, C Miller was a complete train wreck too.

Going to be nights like this for sure, this team is an average at best group. I haven`t a clue what the stats were/are but man did they even win a draw last night?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
So they protect 7 forwards (Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Backes, Spooner, X)
Players with 2 years or under of experience will be exempt (Czarnik, Acciari, Vatrano, Heinen)
2 Forwards must be exposed who are under contract and have played 70 games over 2 years or 40 games this year without a NMC
Moore will be a UFA so he's out, that leaves 3 names currently. Riley Nash, Matt Beleskey, Jimmy Hayes. This is why Riley Nash got a 2 year deal. (Khudobin as well)

Tell me which part of this is confusing.

If that's the case Matt/Nash works...Hayes just needs to go. He has 0 positive influence and impact to the team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I couldn't agree more. Chara just set the tone for future Leafs/ Bruins games. If Martin was expecting to run wild on Bruins players he now knows Chara will be there with a response.

said it before and I`ll stand by it, Martin`s game will not change one bit the next time the B`s play the Leafs. Like the response but this is right in Martin`s wheelhouse, play hard, hit hard, if need be, drop the mitts. He`s not a goon, he`s got a job and regardless if Z dropped the mitts (which I liked to see), won`t change one thing

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
said it before and I`ll stand by it, Martin`s game will not change one bit the next time the B`s play the Leafs. Like the response but this is right in Martin`s wheelhouse, play hard, hit hard, if need be, drop the mitts. He`s not a goon, he`s got a job and regardless if Z dropped the mitts (which I liked to see), won`t change one thing

Babcock is would also be thrilled to trade 5 minutes of Matt Martin not being on the ice for 5 minutes of Chara not being on the ice. The Bruins would need to respond with hard clean hits on Matthews, Marner, and Nylander.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Babcock is would also be thrilled to trade 5 minutes of Matt Martin not being on the ice for 5 minutes of Chara not being on the ice. The Bruins would need to respond with hard clean hits on Matthews, Marner, and Nylander.

have to catch them first;)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Give credit to Leafs

Leafs looked very competent last night. Were able to get out of their zone relatively easily and played with puck for long periods in the Bruins end.
Bruins are going to have to be better. But if Montreal is better this year (with Price) and Leafs are better, going to more difficult getting easy points from those two teams.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Thanks Pia.
I believe that info is very relevant. That those that wanted youth to be served, myself included, must also temper expectations short term.

You know the old cant have your cake and eat it too. There will be ups and downs.

Yet this is exactly what the front office is trying to do (have their cake & eat it too ) This will not end well.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Concerns so far this year (including pre season)....

Disappointing and worrisome:
Krejci
Krug
Rask
McQuaid
Vatrano - need his scoring and speed inserted in the lineup
Berg - hope not serious

Very Positive:
Backes
Pasta
Marchand
Young D prospects
new 4th line
Csar, Heinen, Cheharik, Debrusk
Young goalie prospects

Brutal:
Hayes
Belesky

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

It would be nice if they had someone other than their 40 year old #1 defenseman and captain to do it though.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's not just three either. Brown and Hyman showed very good speed as well.

yep, through being horrible bad the last few years, the Leafs have used those picks wisely and benefited from being so horrific, they are on track for having a very nice team in the near future.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Perhaps adding to the Black-and-Gold’s woes: Top free agent acquisition David Backes hurt his right hand in a first-period fight with Nazem Kadri. The big pivot made it through the rest of the night, logged 16 minutes 35 seconds in ice time, but managed but one shot on net and didn’t factor in the scoring summary.

Boston’s traveling media contingent requested to talk to Backes after the loss, but a team spokesperson said the ever-affable former Blues captain would not be available. Already compromised with top center Patrice Bergeron yet to play due to an undisclosed injury, any loss of Backes, be it short- or long-term, would further challenge an offense that has been spotty.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...past-bruins/Btjnse598wVcd6Oj0ZepXP/story.html

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
In a very objective way, why pasta and brad are not on first pp ?
It is probably another genious strategy to not use the only players who product this year ?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I liked the response but I`ll wager this changes not one thing with Martin`s game, he plays tough and gritty and will continue to do so whether 33 is on the ice with him or not

Seemed awfully hesitant to me, seems like he doesn't want to fight Chara if he could avoid doing so. I'm a big fan of Martin though, and you're right, he's not going to stop being tough....I just think he's gonna be more mindful of running key parts of the team

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Seemed awfully hesitant to me, seems like he doesn't want to fight Chara if he could avoid doing so. I'm a big fan of Martin though, and you're right, he's not going to stop being tough....I just think he's gonna be more mindful of running key parts of the team

Not sure many guy would be stupid enough to want to fight the big man. Chara looks healthy and looks to be moving better to me.

I love having this guy as our captain.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
It's only 2 games, but statistically speaking, the numbers STRONGLY suggest they need to split up Krug-O'Gara and the Czarnik line.

Both of those groups (led by Hayes, ROG, Czarnik and Krug) are giving up tons of shots against while generating almost none for. The team also does significantly better when they're off the ice.

I'd be interested to see Liles and O'Gara play together. Liles has been very steady IMO. His numbers are good too.

What about Krug-Carlo and Chara-Miller?

Up front I think one of Spooner or Backes needs to move back to center the 3rd line. That 3rd line is a weight around this team's neck right now. Which is a shame, because unless they scratch Czarnik and move a 4th liner up to center the 3rd line, we're never going to get to see Spooner-Krejci-Backes together.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A couple of the offensive lines just aren't clicking at all. And they need less chaotic starts. That's reminding me of the ugly games of last year for sure.

When you're down two or 3 goals before you've played half a period that's asking a lot to overcome when there's only one line that's scoring. Both goalies struggled in starting the games which didn't help, need them to calm things down early on.

Pretty alarming numbers for faceoffs last night, including Backes. Also I didnt expect Krug and Krejci to be ready to go as the season starts so I'm cutting them some slack for a bit. I doubt they're 100% yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad