Value of: (1 yr rental) Matthews to COL BOS CAR SEA VGK

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Matthews has a NMC kicking in July 1st and then walks as a UFA one year after that.

Leafs are either :
- extending Matthews on July 1st
- sign and trading Matthews on July 1st (LAK or ANH or ARZ)
- trading Matthews before July 1st, he has 1 year left then UFA

So what is Matthews worth for one year to Colorado, Boston, Carolina, Seattle, Vegas?
Or any team that would maybe be interesting in adding him for one year.

Toronto can't retain any salary, but I suppose theoretically some third team could if you involve them and the team adding Matthews compensates the third team.

I don't claim to know what a fair deal here is. You tell me.

My personal assumptions :
- All trades will include 1st round pick or one of the team's best prospects or both
- COL trade includes at least one of Girard, Lehkonen
- BOS trade includes at least one of Hall, Coyle, Carlo, Ullmark
- CAR trade involves Kotkaniemi
- SEA trade involves at least one of Gourde, McCann, Schwartz, Wennberg, Burakovsky
- VGK trade involves at least one of Martinez, Marchessault, Karlsson, Smith

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Matthews has a lot more leverage in this situation than a typical RFA.

He could come out and say “I am only going to sign an extension with X team and that is who I want to be traded to” and it might immediately limit his own trade value with any other team that Toronto wants to shop him too. Most teams will only pay a king’s ransom for him if they know they are getting him long term. If he is only willing to extend with one team (let’s say LA) then that might kill his trade value in that sign-and-trade scenario too.

As a short term 1-yr rental his value is probably closer to the NJD/ARI Taylor Hall trade. A mixed bag of futures but nothing substantial.

The whole scenario is somewhat similar to Matthew Tkachuk. There is a lot of risk to losing Matthews without getting a massive return back. Hindsight is 20/20, but the time to trade him was probably a year ago before Tkachuk normalized this sort of power move.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
a huge problem with this trade is that the leafs obviously wont retain salary meaning a smaller amount of suitors.

i wonder if nj makes sense. nj moves on from meier and or bratt

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
a huge problem with this trade is that the leafs obviously wont retain salary meaning a smaller amount of suitors.
One of Buffalo, Arizona, Chicago, Nashville or Anaheim could essentially buy themselves a 1st round pick or high end prospect by paying the money and cap space for one year to retain on Matthews. Looking at those teams, Chicago in particular stands out to me as a team in a good situation to do that. Big market team, not struggling financially, lots of cap space, not trying to compete right now.

I'm not saying that it'll happen, but I don't think it makes sense to automatically assume that a 3 way trade wouldn't happen for the sole purpose of a 3rd team retaining. I could see Chicago's GM convincing management to purchase a 1st rounder or equivalent prospect.

Reactions: Altimus

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Why not?
1.) if they are trading Matthews. There is nothing on the ufa market worth spending on they may retain.

2.) he will have all his bonus paid. He only makes league min. IF he wants to go there could easily be a 3rd party broker

Arizona could have a 5.8 million cap charge for like 300k.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I would retain half his salary next year, and also allow them to talk extension.

Hoping we deal him to Boston or LAK, as I think he will thrive in either place.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
They should keep Matthews and move Nylander and Marner. Who plays 1C with Matthews gone? Tavares?
Tavares yeah.

If Toronto got Coyle or Kotkaniemi or Gourde or Karlsson back in the Matthews trade, you might see a first line of "Knies - (new guy) - (Marner/Nylander)" if those guys have really good chemistry with each other, with Tavares leading the second line. It's probably Tavares at 1C though.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Sabres should trade for him and retain . . . . Matthews! Leafs get picks and prospects. Two firsts and Kulich. Leafs fans get to drive to Buffalo and boo Matthews on his Cup run.

QCNords

Oct 19, 2017
To Arizona with extension for a package including Arizona first pick this year (not 1oa).

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If the Leafs get swept he's not going to be a Leaf long.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Who is going to wreck their team for that overpriced loser? You honestly think a rental Matthews is going to fetch a 1st/top prospect and one of a team’s top players under contract? With his cap hit and long history of disappearing in the postseason? Hahahahahaha!

• Haha
Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON

Jersey would not be interested in Matthews, especially if we lose Bratt or Meier. The Devils have 2 #1 centres already, why get Matthews to move Hischier to the 3rd line? Bratt is 24 and has had flashes this playoff and Meier has been playing good physical hockey while being snake bitten.

Unless their contract demands are ridiculous (which would still be 4-5 million less than matthews), I don’t think New Jersey would move on from them at all. Even if they did, trying to get another top line centre doesn’t make sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad