GDT: #1 | Devils at FLYERS | Thursday, Oct. 13, 2022 | 7:00 pm ET | ESPN+, HULU

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ah yes that's a far more acute form of pain. The grinding traffic-crush between DC and the land of the Frednecks, followed by the crushing boredom south of Petersburg that doesn't even have the scenery of 81.

81 is just relentlessly boring but with scenery.
When I drove down last year, it was early Saturday morning, like 6:15am when I left Richmond (I stayed overnight), so it didn’t really hit. It was just before that when I came back, and I didn’t stop, also it was Saturday.

The thing that was getting at me was I was sick of seeing signs for 301.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
When I drove down last year, it was early Saturday morning, like 6:15am when I left Richmond (I stayed overnight), so it didn’t really hit. It was just before that when I came back, and I didn’t stop, also it was Saturday.

The thing that was getting at me was I was sick of seeing signs for 301.

US-1 is the cheat code. There are a couple stretches where you can hop off for a dozen or so miles and save probably half an hour of sitting in traffic, so long as you get back on the Interstate before you hit the bad parts of 1. The average traveler either doesn't think to do that, or knows just enough about US-1 to live in fear of it. But if you know where the non-fearful parts are, it's nice.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
US-1 is the cheat code. There are a couple stretches where you can hop off for a dozen or so miles and save probably half an hour of sitting in traffic, so long as you get back on the Interstate before you hit the bad parts of 1. The average traveler either doesn't think to do that, or knows just enough about US-1 to live in fear of it. But if you know where the non-fearful parts are, it's nice.
I did do that last year. I think twice. The second time was for naught because in avoiding accidents, someone else got into an accident on the detour.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Angry Hockey Dad

Michkov save us
May 30, 2013
Canada
Lol the NHL is terrible. "Our league is lagging behind the other sports leagues, what can we do to make it better?"

"I know, let's make it harder and more expensive for everyone to watch the games!"

It’s pretty pathetic that a team’s season opener is only available on a streaming service. This is part of the reason why the NHL will never catch up to MLB/NBA/NFL

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It’s pretty pathetic that a team’s season opener is only available on a streaming service. This is part of the reason why the NHL will never catch up to MLB/NBA/NFL
Seriously. And it isn't even on one of the more popular ones. Like crack a dealnwith Netflix or Amazon not f***ing ESPN+ for crying out loud. I know ESPN owns the tv rights but do they really think doing this will increase subscribers? Let's put the season opener of a cellar dwelling team behind a paywall, that will drive subscriptions!

Reactions: Angry Hockey Dad

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
ESPN+ is part of the Disney package, look for more of this as the big boys gobble up the smaller streaming channels.
Disney, Hulu and ESPN+ are now a package deal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I did do that last year. I think twice. The second time was for naught because in avoiding accidents, someone else got into an accident on the detour.
I'm rethinking my plan here. My original plan was to leave at like 7pm tomorrow night (if I can sleep in enough tomorrow) and be where i need to be early even if i have to wait another 7 hours for hotel check in.

What's Richmond like if I pass through at like 7am? Because if I can get up and leave around 2 or 3 and get a few hours sleep, wondering if that might be better. I know I can take 295 around Richmond, but I didn't use that road last time because I didn't need to.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm rethinking my plan here. My original plan was to leave at like 7pm tomorrow night (if I can sleep in enough tomorrow) and be where i need to be early even if i have to wait another 7 hours for hotel check in.

What's Richmond like if I pass through at like 7am? Because if I can get up and leave around 2 or 3 and get a few hours sleep, wondering if that might be better. I know I can take 295 around Richmond, but I didn't use that road last time because I didn't need to.

At 7am it should be pretty effortless. Richmond rush hour is pretty much "a 12 minute trip now takes 15 minutes." Relative to anything like I-76 into Philly or anything around DC it's nothing.

There's really no reason to ever take 295 unless you're getting to points east.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
At 7am it should be pretty effortless. Richmond rush hour is pretty much "a 12 minute trip now takes 15 minutes." Relative to anything like I-76 into Philly or anything around DC it's nothing.

There's really no reason to ever take 295 unless you're getting to points east.
That's what I'm figuring, my family who I'm driving with are unsure because in general they're scared to travel and don't know what smaller towns are like in rush hour (we flew to Colorado in July and since it was a nightmare coming home, they lost their shit, but I just accepted it, since it's, like, travel, but it's the whole reason we're driving here and not flying). I don't think I'll need gas yet, last year I drove from US 70 in North Carolina and made it home. Going through DC at 5am should be fine I figure.

Coming home this time, I think it'll be during the day Monday, so that might be a pain

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I used 1 and 301 to get around the nightmare above Fredricksburg on my drive back to Jersey from Charlotte in August. Once it got me over to Annapolis I was in full cruise mode.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Vis a vis Virginia, I can’t tell you how many times I said “is this f***ing state over yet”? It’s wildly annoying.

I say the same thing every time my wife and I drive down to Asheville, NC to visit her friends and family. Virginia is a brutal stretch.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Ah yes that's a far more acute form of pain. The grinding traffic-crush between DC and the land of the Frednecks, followed by the crushing boredom south of Petersburg that doesn't even have the scenery of 81.

81 is just relentlessly boring but with scenery.

I went to college in DC, Baltimore-Washington parkway might as well be hell on earth

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
In the Vegas airport flying out for this game. Can’t wait to be back in the city

Also, I’ll never understand why “ain’t no stopping us now” isn’t our goal song. Feels so obvious

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I did (well sat in the backseat) the 95 drive to NC three times in one month. Torture.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
In the Vegas airport flying out for this game. Can’t wait to be back in the city

Also, I’ll never understand why “ain’t no stopping us now” isn’t our goal song. Feels so obvious
Why because why have that when we can have this?

As we know this came with high praise by the fanbase and was selected by them with absolutely no bullshittery involved by the franchise.

Or this...

Or this...

God damn this franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad