OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Somebody said to me today "any song longer than 10 minutes needs to be cut down."

I start at 10 minutes.
Anyone who says that hasn't listened to Tool, Pink Floyd (esp Animals or Wish you were here), Queen, The Beatles, Metallica, Iron Maiden (Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner especially), Zeppelin and probably COUNTLESS others I haven't mentioned

Any generalization like that is just ignorant. But I digress

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
How bout yall?

IMG_0080.jpg

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't have Spotify but here's what I got from Amazon Music:

Top songs:

1) Octavarium - Dream Theater
2) What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse - Black Dahlia Murder
3) A Change of Seasons - Dream Theater
4) Widowmaker - Black Dahlia Murder
5) The Alien - Dream Theater

Top artists:

1) The Black Dahlia Murder
2) Dream Theater
3) Unearth
4) Trivium
5) Red Hot Chili Peppers

My #1 most played song is 23:59 and the #3 most played song is 23:08.

And I don't think they're up there because it goes by minute. I absolutely believe that Octavarium is #1. I listen to that song 3-4 times a week.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

Top songs:

Top artists:

2) Dream Theater
3) Unearth
4) Trivium
5) Red Hot Chili Peppers

And I don't think they're up there because it goes by minute. I absolutely believe that Octavarium is #1. I listen to that song 3-4 times a week.
A Change Of Seasons is a great song by Dream Theater, one of their better long songs. I really still enjoy their first 2 albums with James Labrie the most: Images and Words and Awake. James had the most unbelivable tone and range in those early 90s years.

I do like their newer material, but once Kevin Moore left and Jordan Rudess came in, their musicality got a little too "abstract" for me.

That being said: Metropolis Part 2 is an all-time classic concept album, Octavarium is a very good album, and I dig "The Glass Prison", especially the intro.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Anyone got a recommendation on a brand of turntables or a specific model? I want to get a basic one for Christmas. Just to listen to records. Thanks

I would highly recommend either the Audio Technica LP120X or Fluance RT81.

If you want to go cheaper the Audio Technica LP60X is a decent option to see if you like the hobby. This is what I started with before upgrading, and it was fine but can say for sure that either of the above 2 options would be money very well spent.

The simplest next step would be to add active (i.e. powered) speakers since all of those options already come with built-in Phono preamps.

Could start with adding to any sort of powered speaker that has an RCA or 3.5mm input. I started with a Marshall Stanmore that I already owned as a Bluetooth speaker. It was more than adequate though perhaps a bit overpriced. Unless you already have an option at home I would recommend going to a 2 channel system. The Edifer R1280T speakers are well-regarded, though I have never owned them.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Favorite Rock Line: Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Cheesiest Music Line and Song: I'm never gonna dance again, guilty feet have got no rhythm. Careless Whisper. Honorable Mention: Bad Romance

4 Favorite Acoustic Songs: Wish you were here, Yesterday, Here comes the sun, Blackbird

I'm gonna be buried in ;)

1671577377522.png

• Love
Reactions: egelband

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

If you want to go cheaper the Audio Technica LP60X is a decent option to see if you like the hobby. This is what I started with before upgrading, and it was fine but can say for sure that either of the above 2 options would be money very well spent.

The simplest next step would be to add active (i.e. powered) speakers since all of those options already come with built-in Phono preamps.

Could start with adding to any sort of powered speaker that has an RCA or 3.5mm input. I started with a Marshall Stanmore that I already owned as a Bluetooth speaker. It was more than adequate though perhaps a bit overpriced. Unless you already have an option at home I would recommend going to a 2 channel system. The Edifer R1280T speakers are well-regarded, though I have never owned them.

Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it. I saw Audio Technica come up a lot. Don’t know anything about speakers but I’ll cross that bridge.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

It looks like the main differences are USB connectivity, pitch/speed adjust, digital converter, and some other need things like the needle light.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It looks like the main differences are USB connectivity, pitch/speed adjust, digital converter, and some other need things like the needle light.

Yea that is true. The big difference to me between tbe 120 and 60 is a much higher quality cartridge / needle and tonearm which translates to better sound quality. It was night and day to me the first time I tried it out.

The tone arm on the 120 is also fully adjustable, the big benefit there being that it can be used with a variety of cartridges. Which IMO are most important component after speakers to determine sound quality. So it is great out of the box but can last a long while if you get really into the hobby and want to upgrade components later.

If I were starting today I would actually get the Fluance. The Ortofon Red cartridge it comes with is better than the one on the 120 and at $100 retail is good value on a $350 TT. I was never really interested in the digital aspects of the 120 but could see how that would be a selling point if you are into that.

That said like I said I started with the LP60 and it more than did the trick. Had it for a few years while I was still figuring out if I liked the vinyl experience. One feature it has that the others don’t is push button stop start. So you don’t have to worry about lining up the tone arm or working the cue lever which drops it onto the record. On the 60 you just push a button that says “start” and it automatically lines up and places the tonearm.

You can’t really go wrong

EDIT - one thing about the RT83 is that it does not come with a built in preamp like the others do. So something to consider, would be an extra expense.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Top songs:

Top artists:

2) Dream Theater
3) Unearth
4) Trivium
5) Red Hot Chili Peppers

I'm glad there are some RHCP fans in this realm. My favorite band and I'm tired of all these people hating to get brownie points with hipster chicks who won't get with them.

The whole "they only write songs about California" and "all their songs sound the same" is lazy. All their albums actually sound different.

When I provide factual information that contradicts the cliches I'm always met with a series of "Yeah, but..." or "well I just don't like Anthony Keidis". The second the "yeah, but...." comes into play, the argument is weakened.

I'd say from 87-92 they were untouchable in terms of energy, groove, musicianship, etc. Yes their new stuff is not nearly as good as their old stuff but they still put out good songs on every album.

I really enjoyed a majority of Dream Canteen. Unlimited Love is their weakest album.

I still hope they'll work with a different producer from Rick Rubin. Someone who is less concerned about trying to craft songs and more to let them go in the direction of a Funky Monks or Sir Psycho Sexy, let the musicians vamp and expand the grooves. Starting with Californication that element slowly started to leave their music and only shows up occasionally (Ethiopia from I'm With You, Dreams Of A Samurai from The Getaway, and Afterlife from Return Of The Dream Canteen as examples).

One Hot Minute is a dope album.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yea that is true. The big difference to me between tbe 120 and 60 is a much higher quality cartridge / needle and tonearm which translates to better sound quality. It was night and day to me the first time I tried it out.

The tone arm on the 120 is also fully adjustable, the big benefit there being that it can be used with a variety of cartridges. Which IMO are most important component after speakers to determine sound quality. So it is great out of the box but can last a long while if you get really into the hobby and want to upgrade components later.

If I were starting today I would actually get the Fluance. The Ortofon Red cartridge it comes with is better than the one on the 120 and at $100 retail is good value on a $350 TT. I was never really interested in the digital aspects of the 120 but could see how that would be a selling point if you are into that.

That said like I said I started with the LP60 and it more than did the trick. Had it for a few years while I was still figuring out if I liked the vinyl experience. One feature it has that the others don’t is push button stop start. So you don’t have to worry about lining up the tone arm or working the cue lever which drops it onto the record. On the 60 you just push a button that says “start” and it automatically lines up and places the tonearm.

You can’t really go wrong

EDIT - one thing about the RT83 is that it does not come with a built in preamp like the others do. So something to consider, would be an extra expense.
I’ve just been looking at the Fluance RT81 and Audio-Technica LP120XUSB. The LP120 is $60 more than the RT81 of you get it without the Bluetooth. The RT83 has a red cartridge and yeah no preamp.

71e4g8d4luL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Can't go wrong IMO, 2 great choices
The LP120 is really nice looking but I’m not sure how important that is.

Like how many of these controls would I actually use? I don’t even know what a “Quartz” button entails lol. I care mostly about sound quality, how well it functions. Bluetooth unimportant. 78s…idk maybe. Digital converter…maybe but I think I could live without that.

1671751946838.png

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The LP120 is really nice looking but I’m not sure how important that is.

Like how many of these controls would I actually use? I don’t even know what a “Quartz” button entails lol. I care mostly about sound quality, how well it functions. Bluetooth unimportant. 78s…idk maybe. Digital converter…maybe but I think I could live without that.

View attachment 625481

So it's perhaps a bit overengineered. Nothing here really that is value add over the Fluance if you just want to play back records.

Top left = adapter for 7in 45s. Handy I guess but I rarely spin those.
Bottom left = on/off dial, start stop button, speed selection. All of this is handled with one dial on the Fluance.
Top right = all the tonearm controls. Counterweight, cue lever, antiskate. Important but Fluance also has these.
Bottom right = shit I never use. DJ feature. Controls pitch / platter spin speed and spin direction.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'm in a NY state of mind listening to these guys. Hopefully you guys like some of them.

The Ramones
New York Dolls
The VU
The Strokes
Blondie
Sonic Youth
Steely Dan
Talking Heads
Beastie Boys

Last edited:

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm glad there are some RHCP fans in this realm. My favorite band and I'm tired of all these people hating to get brownie points with hipster chicks who won't get with them.

The whole "they only write songs about California" and "all their songs sound the same" is lazy. All their albums actually sound different.

When I provide factual information that contradicts the cliches I'm always met with a series of "Yeah, but..." or "well I just don't like Anthony Keidis". The second the "yeah, but...." comes into play, the argument is weakened.

I'd say from 87-92 they were untouchable in terms of energy, groove, musicianship, etc. Yes their new stuff is not nearly as good as their old stuff but they still put out good songs on every album.

I really enjoyed a majority of Dream Canteen. Unlimited Love is their weakest album.

I still hope they'll work with a different producer from Rick Rubin. Someone who is less concerned about trying to craft songs and more to let them go in the direction of a Funky Monks or Sir Psycho Sexy, let the musicians vamp and expand the grooves. Starting with Californication that element slowly started to leave their music and only shows up occasionally (Ethiopia from I'm With You, Dreams Of A Samurai from The Getaway, and Afterlife from Return Of The Dream Canteen as examples).

One Hot Minute is a dope album.

They're a band that's so iconic, it's become trendy to hate them. Just like the Beatles, f***ing come at me. I've had it up to here with Becky's and Sara's who don't think The Beatles are any good.

I digress.

Whether you like them or not, they're objectively fantastic musicians, and Keidis has rockstar swagger from a bygone era.

I totally disagree with anybody who says it all sounds the same. They've had a tremendous amount of progression over the years without (mostly) jumping the shark and sounding like a different band. It's a nice middle ground that's hard to achieve.

Sure, I'll concede that there's a vibe. 90% of my RHCP listening is in warm weather. That's fine. Every band has a character. Saying RHCP should lay off the summer vibe is like saying The Black Dahlia Murder should lay off murder. That's what the f***ing band is.

It also must be said that RHCP's music is generally not my genre. I'm a metalhead. You've got to be pretty decent to reside in my non-metal catalogue and all the bands that do are all-time greats.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm in a NY state of mind listening to these guys. Hopefully you guys like some of them.

The Ramones
New York Dolls
The VU
The Strokes
Blondie
Sonic Youth
Steely Dan
Talking Heads
Beastie Boys
Open Letter to NYC is one of the better rap songs about New York and showed that the Beastie Boys could write a good song being serious, not that I mind their comedy stuff.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad