OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I just discovered these guys while I was away on business in arguably my favorite music store in North America (Sonic Boom--Toronto......to be fair I have not been to Amoeba since they moved). Post Punk.

Ironically, the day I got back they played a reunion show in Brooklyn but I was too fried to go.

I saw them with A Static Lullaby a bajillion years ago. They were okay. I just remember my now ex making fun of the singer coincidently as a song stopped so everyone in the room heard it. The room laughed. 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Brief Candle

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Puscifer are funny. I saw them at Coachella 2013 and they put on a fun show. Did a very strange cover of Accept's Ball To The Wall.
Yeah their concept is music, comedy and theatre... they actually made their debut on HBO's "Mr. Show with Bob and David" back in the mid 90's

If you watch the 1st episode, theyre in there and Maynard and David Cross are still friends.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don’t know if we any elder emo/screamo people among us but I started really enjoying Underoath’s new album and it led me to listening to their old stuff from 16-18 years ago and the nostalgia is intense.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Back up there, youngster. That there is the newer emo to us old folks. lol

It WAS newer emo to me too, now it’s old like everything else I was listening to before that. Trust me, I’m not saying 2004 was the advent of emo - I’d been in at least two bands since 2000 - but some of the shit that came out around 2010 and beyond that I’ve seen people calling emo doesn’t even register as having existed. Still Underoath is more like emo metalcore than real emo, but the point was I’ve been digging them nonstop lately. The new album was a surprise.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
It WAS newer emo to me too, now it’s old like everything else I was listening to before that. Trust me, I’m not saying 2004 was the advent of emo - I’d been in at least two bands since 2000 - but some of the shit that came out around 2010 and beyond that I’ve seen people calling emo doesn’t even register as having existed. Still Underoath is more like emo metalcore than real emo, but the point was I’ve been digging them nonstop lately. The new album was a surprise.

I'm just messing with ya. lol The whopping 3-6 years between all this stuff, unless we're talking like EARLY "emo" (Rites of Spring, etc), is all silly. I loved bands like Shai Hulud, but once these metalcore bands started singing, I lost interest. Just scream, ffs! lol HOWEVER, and most importantly, I always say the same thing: If you like it, then it's awesome to you and that's all that matters. It's all SO subjective.

This has been in my head all day:

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Back up there, youngster. That there is the newer emo to us old folks. lol

Man , I literally almost posted Saetia as a response to @Loki Dog 74 emo/screamo post. You know they’re playing in Brooklyn in a few months. I think it sold out immediately though. On a side note I hate that the term emo turned into describing melodic poppy metalish band. Emo was bands like The Promise Ring back in the day. And dont get me started on plugs being called gauges now 😂

Reactions: Brief Candle

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Man , I literally almost posted Saetia as a response to that. You know they’re playing in Brooklyn in a few months. I think it sold out immediately though.
I got tickets for November 18th. :D I don't know how many times I've seen Saetia. Off Minor too. I still have a shirt of there's somewhere. These shows are gonna be WILD, and this is coming from someone who hasn't been inside an establishment other than work for more than 10 minutes since this pandemic began. I'll wear a f***ing hazmat suit if I have to.

Reactions: Cmox

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Not sure if anyone has watched Spiderhead on Netflix yet but fantastic soundtrack (or whatever the kids call it these days) and sounds like it was mixed to showcase that... at least on my home system.

I found myself really cranking it and could probably be heard down the street...

Or certainly felt the bass in the neighbors' houses :laugh:

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Not sure if anyone has watched Spiderhead on Netflix yet but fantastic soundtrack (or whatever the kids call it these days) and sounds like it was mixed to showcase that... at least on my home system.

I found myself really cranking it and could probably be heard down the street...

Or certainly felt the bass in the neighbors' houses :laugh:
I watched Spiderhead its really good. Lots of 80’s music. So I approve.

Not to change subject the letterkenny soundtrack is almost perfect. Im not a rap or techno fan though.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I watched Spiderhead its really good. Lots of 80’s music. So I approve.

Not to change subject the letterkenny soundtrack is almost perfect. Im not a rap or techno fan though.
Let me tell you, I am the same way, and I totally agree about their sound track. They even managed to find the ONE turnstile song that I don't mind.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I don’t know if we any elder emo/screamo people among us but I started really enjoying Underoath’s new album and it led me to listening to their old stuff from 16-18 years ago and the nostalgia is intense.

I can’t get into their new stuff. Love their old stuff though - They’re Only Chasing Safety is what got me into the hardcore genre. The era where they got a bit heavier (Disambiguation) is also great. Saw them a few months ago and they basically only played their older songs fortunately. Says a lot too.

Been on a big Don Broco kick lately. Upset I’m going to miss their upcoming US shows - they’re supposed to be great live.

Also very stoked for the upcoming Dance Gavin Dance album, though they’ve had their share of major issues lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: LokiDog

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
I’m an old head. Anyone else thinking of going to this show?

Attachments

• C2042F4A-F0EB-4916-974A-E8BBFE5C33F9.png
    C2042F4A-F0EB-4916-974A-E8BBFE5C33F9.png
    790.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: sabremike

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I can’t get into their new stuff. Love their old stuff though - They’re Only Chasing Safety is what got me into the hardcore genre. The era where they got a bit heavier (Disambiguation) is also great. Saw them a few months ago and they basically only played their older songs fortunately. Says a lot too.

Been on a big Don Broco kick lately. Upset I’m going to miss their upcoming US shows - they’re supposed to be great live.

Also very stoked for the upcoming Dance Gavin Dance album, though they’ve had their share of major issues lately.

I hadn’t listened to anything really since They’re Only Chasing Safety and Define The Great Line and then my brother put me onto the newest album that just came out this year. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, even though it’s not the same and not as good as those albums were. But I can listen to They’re Only Chasing Safety from start to finish any day.

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
This is another classic if youre into melodic screamo stuff

I played a show at their house in New Brunswick back then! Such nice people. I'm all but convinced we were probably at tons of the same shows back then if this is the stuff you were into.

That Grade album was f***ing LIFE back then. I was absolutely obsessed with it. I still adore it.

It's funny, I get a lot of kids that come to my shop who looooooove all these bands now that are like 14-22. I knew we were on to some good shit then and never thought it would really go away. Guess I was right. I still love all these bands, and DAMN are there some good newer bands around today too.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I finally got around to the new Kendrick Lamar. Masterpiece. I'm not going to sit here and say I relate to everything, but he deals with a lot of universal and/or relevant issues on tracks like Father Time, Crown, Auntie Diaries, and We Cry Together.

I probably am the only person who really didn't care about Damn so this album is a return to form in my opinion.

Also on the rap front, Danny Brown, just discovered him. I like that eccentric kind of beat and melody making and off kilter content.

My issue with hip hop now is the mainstream aspect is too copy cat where back in the 80s and 90s, there was a lot of distinction between coasts/cities/producers. What Lamar and Brown both have is they rap, flow, and have very creative music. It's not just drowned autotune chanting using that one beat with the triplet hi hat symbol.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I finally got around to the new Kendrick Lamar. Masterpiece. I'm not going to sit here and say I relate to everything, but he deals with a lot of universal and/or relevant issues on tracks like Father Time, Crown, Auntie Diaries, and We Cry Together.

I probably am the only person who really didn't care about Damn so this album is a return to form in my opinion.

Also on the rap front, Danny Brown, just discovered him. I like that eccentric kind of beat and melody making and off kilter content.

My issue with hip hop now is the mainstream aspect is too copy cat where back in the 80s and 90s, there was a lot of distinction between coasts/cities/producers. What Lamar and Brown both have is they rap, flow, and have very creative music. It's not just drowned autotune chanting using that one beat with the triplet hi hat symbol.

I feel like the "decline" of hip hop is with the general substance of what seems to be a majority of popular stuff nowadays. The lyrics are all just the samey same for what I mostly hear, but each artist is like..when in grade school, someone would copy homework but slightly change it to make it look different. It feels like it's just about who can look more outlandish.

Older stuff is heavy on story telling. Slick Rick, KRS, Tribe. Tupac is one of my all-time musical favorites. I never listened much to Biggie (6-7 year old me heard that there was beef between the two and I picked Pac's side because that's what I had to do and kept my word) but you can't entirely escape listening to someone so influential. There was just more there to absorb and each listen is a journey. Now it's a sprint before they're boring, and their image is outdated and tired, and the next one comes along who's crazier and wilder.

I think the YouTube algorithm suggested me Tobe Nwigwe a while back. Love the guy's aesthetic and everything about his sound. He's got a ton of good stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roo Returns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad