• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I would offer a contract to Cole, Calvert and Letestu, the other UFA's can walk.
Cole's offer would be $3.75 x 3. If he doesn't like that, I would counter with $4 x 2.
Calvert's offer would be $2.75 x 4 (front-loaded). If he doesn't like that, I counter with $3 x 3.
Letustu's offer would be $2.75 x 3. If he doesn't like that, I would counter with $3 x 2.

Of those 3 the guy most needed on this team is Letestu. He is a center and can win face-off's. This team needs effective center men. Calvert is a close 2nd in terms of need to retain.

For the RFA's, I'm not certain about money. Jenner and Murray have arbitration rights, Obie does not. I would qualify them all. If one of the two wants arbitration, then okay.

None of these players UFA/RFA would be offered a NTC or a NMC. If you need a reason why, see; Dubinsky, Brandon.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Scores clutch goals and is a great penalty killer who’s dangerous shorthanded with his speed and tenacity.

Idk what you’re expecting out of a 4th liner here...

As long as he is wiling to sign for 4th line $ I like him. His salary this year was 2.9 so if he expects more than that I like him less. If he was willing to take say 4 years at 2.5 aav I'd re-sign him because of his ability to play up in the lineup when needed and his pk skills.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Oh god, WHY?!!!
Because this team needs centers. PLD, Dubinsky, Wennberg and Sedlak don't do it for me. Can they add Tavares? If they can get him, I'm all for it. Then let Letestu walk.

This team just got exposed by Washington's centers. Who do you see centering the lines next year?

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
I wouldn't like to see "fourth liners" anchoring any more lines. Should rather acquire Blake Comeau kind of heavies who can move up and down the line-up with their team supporting skillset even if not being one of the greats. Calvert's claim to post-season fame came in a losing effort with the team exactly not firing on all cylinders. I think this would be a good time to at least once to make a build decision which isn't reasoned only so that your neighbour could not steal your bricks.

I would like to see a move made for Jori Lehterä, an olympic class centreman although he would probably be ran out of the town for not being the quickest skater. Valtteri Filppula is also an UFA. We remember Ilari Filppula and Erik Karlsson being the lockout season league leading Jokerit creation of Jarmo Kekäläinen so maybe it will be reforged again in unrestricted free agency.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I wouldn't like to see "fourth liners" anchoring any more lines. Should rather acquire Blake Comeau kind of heavies who can move up and down the line-up with their team supporting skillset even if not being one of the greats. Calvert's claim to post-season fame came in a losing effort with the team exactly not firing on all cylinders. I think this would be a good time to at least once to make a build decision which isn't reasoned only so that your neighbour could not steal your bricks.

I would like to see a move made for Jori Lehterä, an olympic class centreman although he would probably be ran out of the town for not being the quickest skater. Valtteri Filppula is also an UFA. We remember Ilari Filppula and Erik Karlsson being the lockout season league leading Jokerit creation of Jarmo Kekäläinen so maybe it will be reforged again in unrestricted free agency.

Blake Comeau? Lol... been there and done that with him. If you thought we took way too many penalties against Washington throughout the series, double that total. That’s how many there would’ve been with Comeau on our team. Dude took penalties that were absolutely mind blowing.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Blake Comeau? Lol... been there and done that with him. If you thought we took way too many penalties against Washington throughout the series, double that total. That’s how many there would’ve been with Comeau on our team. Dude took penalties that were absolutely mind blowing.
THat was my first thought. Plus, Lehtera's not been a very good NHLer and Filppula is old. Neither are an improvement over what we currently have, and that's saying something. Both also just got their butts kicked by Pittsburgh's centermen in the first round.

I think we'll see some sort of shakeup. I doubt that will be Dubi getting traded because no GM is so crazy. Milbury might have traded for him, but he's been banned from front office duties and to the press box. Jarmo surprises us when we least expect it, so maybe there is something in the offing.

I love Larsen's interviews, dislike his PP coaching prowess. Get a new PP coach and FIRE JOHN MADDEN. I might even be on board with a demotion to Cleveland HC for Larsen, though I doubt he or the franchise would do that.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I appreciate the sentiment of this thread, but for me it means nothing if they go into the playoffs next year (if they even make it that far) with Bob in goal.

Bob is ours for another year like it or not, so to me we might as well start the 2019 offseason thread.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Not really sure how to handle the off season at this point. We are still close to the massive failure which has made us the laughing stock of the league. We choked away a series lead against the Capitals of all teams and we are now the only team in the entire league who has never won a playoff series...

I know that you don't fire coaching and staff because of what other people do, however I think the whole organization needs an overhaul to get to another level. I do think that Jarmo has done really well in building a foundation of a roster (Jones, Panarin, Werenski, PLD) the problem is that I can't identify anyone who I would rather have than Jarmo in the current landscape.

Honestly we just don't have the firepower to compete and I am not sure how we get it. We can't pull free agents and free agents are a terrible way to build a team anyway. Our roster is too good to tank and hoping to find the missing first line center/first line scoring late in the draft is the same as playing the lottery to fund your retirement. Our young players will improve, however they likely aren't going to improve to a level that we will be in the conversation with Winnepeg, Toronto, and the Preds once the Pens, Caps, and the rest of the old guard start to decline. I feel like we are over achieving early and we needed another two or three years at the bottom in order to really build something special and now we are just stuck with a mediocre roster that will be a bubble team until we decided that we need to blow it all up and start again in another three years.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
As long as he is wiling to sign for 4th line $ I like him. His salary this year was 2.9 so if he expects more than that I like him less. If he was willing to take say 4 years at 2.5 aav I'd re-sign him because of his ability to play up in the lineup when needed and his pk skills.
Yeah for sure. I mean he could definitely get an overpayment on the open market for what he brings. Especially to a team in a rebuild which would also mean increased minutes.
But I could see him taking a cut to stay with us. It seems he loves it here and he’s the epitome of “Blue Jackets hockey”.
And as you said, he can play up in the lineup when need be.
But in a 4th line role he’s extremely valuable for us.

I think if we let him walk it will be similar to when people were missing D-Mac as one of those bottom 6 energy guys who’s great on the PK.

But yeah, for the right price of course.
Everyone loves to talk about the star players, but you need good depth guys like Calvert to go on a deep run in the playoffs.
He was a beast for us

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio

Lehtera? LOL
Based on what Flyers fans were saying about him you couldn’t pay me to take his ass.
He went what, 40 something games without a goal? No thanks. I’d rather take Hannakainen before I would him...

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
I don't even know. If you folks are still talking about this in June, maybe.

Yeah, too early to say anything. Folks have already formed an opinion and sticking to it while others are just numb.

No idea what the market will be like until it actually comes time to make decisions and the picture is cleared.

Just going to sit back and watch the rest of the playoffs - should be some intense games ahead (just without Columbus)

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I get the reactions to losing to Washington, but how can we be the laughing stock of the league (seen that by several folks in several threads) when Anaheim just got swept by a mediocre Sharks team. And not just swept but beaten like a rug.

The inferiority complex must run deep around here.

I'm glad to have a team that for the first time in our history can be fun to watch night in and night out. Sure, the goal is to win a cup, but I care about being entertained and watching good hockey too. I like watching the way this team battles along the boards to fight for pucks. I like the way this team works the puck low to high well. I love watching Jones walk the line and keep pucks in the zone (he's such a special player). This team is young and I think this will be a big learning experience for them. I'm plenty angry about the loss, but I'm not going to run our own team through the mud (I'm looking at Bob for those 3rd period goals) just because I'm upset.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I would offer a contract to Cole, Calvert and Letestu, the other UFA's can walk.
Cole's offer would be $3.75 x 3. If he doesn't like that, I would counter with $4 x 2.
Calvert's offer would be $2.75 x 4 (front-loaded). If he doesn't like that, I counter with $3 x 3.
Letustu's offer would be $2.75 x 3. If he doesn't like that, I would counter with $3 x 2.

This is absolutely CRAZY. That's waaaaaaayyy too much money you are handing out.

Calvert is a solid player to have but by no means you should scramble to keep a player like this. He takes what you are comfortable offering, if not you move on. Not a big deal. Also his kind of energy-based bottom 6 players generally fall off the face of the world around 30, so remember that. Calvert is almost 29 once next season starts. I'd say 2.3M x 2 is absolute max offer you can make.

Letestu is more or less done. Two options: let him walk, or offer him 900k x 1 to be an in/out of the lineup veteran presence.

Cole is the only player that is slightly important to keep, but even with him you can't overpay and end up with a bad contract in a couple of years. 2 years around 3M would be ideal. 3 years is the max, but at that point the dollars would have to go down to 2.75M or so.

What comes to RFAs, Murray should get 1 year deal (say 3.8M) to retain his RFA rights in 2019 as kind of a wait-and-see move, keeping open the possibility of a potential trade at some point (Gavrikov could replace him). Same could be done with Jenner. One year deal at, say 3.2M, to keep his RFA rights in 2019. Then assess the situation again regarding long-term future. If looking at signing Jenner to a longer term deal, 5 years and 3.5M would be the absolute max for me.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Lehtera? LOL
Based on what Flyers fans were saying about him you couldn’t pay me to take his ass.
He went what, 40 something games without a goal? No thanks. I’d rather take Hannakainen before I would him...

Of course the players should be utilized properly in order to thrive but in asset valuation terms there are not better players than for example Kari Lehtonen or Jori Lehterä out there to be acquired for cheap.

The mind and vision of Lehterä in example exceeds most in this current Blue Jackets team. Of course if the offensive plan is shouting and shooting (even beginning and ending attacks by launching weather observation pucks which the Capitals didn't in example utilize any) he wouldn't likely find the required environment inside these lines which in my mind have some talent and skill (not just what shows on the text-television scoring list) now that the old guard is stepping aside. Bjorkstrand or Milano in their current form or given trust weren't doing anything at all with the likes of Letestu, Dubinsky, Calvert and Foligno (at least as a center) who are poor 6vs6 players and average at their best in counter-attack. Atkinson who has been in hellish haste to ruin attacks since the couple first games (instead of working behind enemy line) I would not consider the right fit for Panarin if the plan is to win games instead holding onto personal jam bollards.

The Hartnell buy-out in example took out a whole potential line with him so of course there are differences in fourth liners. Anyone can play up the line-up but rarely you have players in the lower players making everyone they play with better, with direction and speed which is of course of not created by skating in a team ball sports game but by sharing the puck.

The offensive core at the moment in terms of designations of play is pillar Wennberg, hybrid Panarin, drive Jenner, thrive Anderson. Dubois might make the list but of course the summer will tell. At auxiliary you have counter Atkinson. Carolina in example has two super studs in Aho and Teräväinen who propably form a super line after the summer so there is some notable competition but I would like if the Blue Jackets were very adventurous when it comes to their old guard with perhaps Tortorella helping to drive some of them off this summer.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I offer Letestu 2 years at $1.4 million per year. If he wants to play in his new "home town", he accepts.
I offer Calvert $2.5 million per year for 3 years in a soft gentle voice telling him we want him back but we need to conserve money to make major upgrades. Hopefully he accepts. If he is looking for a pay raise, I let him walk.
I consider signing Cole and if I do, I look to package Savard in a trade. Kukan can play in the NHL.
Get Bread signed.
Go after Tavares with everything we got. Trade Pooh and use his salary as part of the compensation for Tavares. Whatever we do, we MUST upgrade our second line center. Pooh is a good 3rd line center (with Jenner talking face-offs) but is a mediocre second line center.
Tell Torts that he MUST add an assistant coach who specializes in offense.
We need to add another high skill winger unless Jarmo & his scouts decide that Sonny really is high skill guy who needs to muscle up to play effectively.
I have always loved Dubie's competitiveness but his tank is empty. Buy him out.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
IF JT was available then I would move the world to get him. Change coaches to utilize him and bread, along with our mobile d-men, if we need more cash look to move Bob.
This team needs a reset. I was always a Hitch guy and now Torts but not sure if that dump and chase system can work in the playoffs.

If he's not avail (JT) then just go in eyes wide open and see what is offered. Outside of Bread, Jones and Werenski everyone else could be available. I would like to have Cole back but not necessary. I also think we can get Letestu back cheaply, but again not a need just as someone who I think we can get for one or two year deal.

We've got to find some offensive talent.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
IF JT was available then I would move the world to get him. Change coaches to utilize him and bread, along with our mobile d-men, if we need more cash look to move Bob.
This team needs a reset. I was always a Hitch guy and now Torts but not sure if that dump and chase system can work in the playoffs.

If he's not avail (JT) then just go in eyes wide open and see what is offered. Outside of Bread, Jones and Werenski everyone else could be available. I would like to have Cole back but not necessary. I also think we can get Letestu back cheaply, but again not a need just as someone who I think we can get for one or two year deal.

We've got to find some offensive talent.
Pretty much how I feel.

Only untouchables are Jones, Panarin and Werenski.

Re-sign Calvert
Re-sign Murray
Re-sign Cole

Let JJ walk
Let Vanek walk

I know Bob is amazing in the regular season, but he's not consistent enough. Move him for a ransom if you can.

Dubinsky had rumors of trade talks last season, so if those are true, move him.

Bring in two bottom 6 centers.

Bring in more depth on the wings. Sonny isn't good enough (yet) and Bjorkstrand needs another season or so.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
In my eyes, Dubinsky gets one season to prove that his play this year was due to the injury and he hasn't permanently lost a step.
That's too long, if he proves he can't play then the entire league knows it and he's a unmovable object, then you're buying him out or packaging pieces you don't wanna move to get rid of him.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
First order of Business is to shore up down the middle. Dubois is most likely a number 2 center, or atleast should be slotted as such , while he continues to develop, but to ask him to play top line center again next year is a reach, if we are being realistic. Wennberg as a number 3 center, or do we use him as a piece to get a number 1 ? Personally, I think everyone here knows my feelings on Wennberg, hes a severly limited player in that he refuses to shoot the puck, and always wants to pass, hes pretty bad in faceoffs, but hes young, and could definitely be a good #3 center, that can slide up to #2 duties, if needed. Will Ottawa be open to moving Duchene ? Lots of moving pieces there. O'reilly from Buffalo is pricey, but very consistent. I havent dug too much into what options there might be at center, but this is an absolute must going into next season.

This last idea, I will get crucified for, but I would put some feelers out there on Werenski. I think he could fetch a massive return, and someone above mentioned we lacked elite offensive talent. He would most definitely return that. To me, Jones gives us the luxury to entertain this move. If Torts is to remain, he has to get away from this constant rover type defensive style, and play a much more structured defensive style, that maybe counter punches, but not looking to jump up all the time. Last season, our goals against, was second in the NHL , this year we dropped to 10th against. We need to upgrade the center and forward positions , so we arent so reliant in our defenseman scoring . If you really look at what washington changed in the series against us, they extended their defense out top. We like to go down low, and then kick it out, for our defenseman to shoot the puck. Much of our offense is predicated in this manner. Most teams tried to pack it in against us. Not Washington, they extended their defense up in the face of our defenseman , took away their time and space.

Bob- Goalie, I want harp on this much, but no way I go into the playoffs next year , with him as my first option. I dont want to hear that he was good this series, as he was not. He was good, games 1, and game 2. Game 3 his save percentage was .906, game 4 his save percentage was .862, and game 6 when it mattered most, his save percentage was .815

Compile that with his career playoff record of 5-14 with a GAA of 3.49 and a save percentage of .891. Sorry, thats flat out unacceptable for the second highest paid goalie in the Nhl. Jarmo better be on the phone with Elvis asap. I'm not saying hes the answer , but I get him to North America, ASAP

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
First order of Business is to shore up down the middle. Dubois is most likely a number 2 center, or atleast should be slotted as such , while he continues to develop, but to ask him to play top line center again next year is a reach, if we are being realistic. Wennberg as a number 3 center, or do we use him as a piece to get a number 1 ? Personally, I think everyone here knows my feelings on Wennberg, hes a severly limited player in that he refuses to shoot the puck, and always wants to pass, hes pretty bad in faceoffs, but hes young, and could definitely be a good #3 center, that can slide up to #2 duties, if needed. Will Ottawa be open to moving Duchene ? Lots of moving pieces there. O'reilly from Buffalo is pricey, but very consistent. I havent dug too much into what options there might be at center, but this is an absolute must going into next season.

This last idea, I will get crucified for, but I would put some feelers out there on Werenski. I think he could fetch a massive return, and someone above mentioned we lacked elite offensive talent. He would most definitely return that. To me, Jones gives us the luxury to entertain this move. If Torts is to remain, he has to get away from this constant rover type defensive style, and play a much more structured defensive style, that maybe counter punches, but not looking to jump up all the time. Last season, our goals against, was second in the NHL , this year we dropped to 10th against. We need to upgrade the center and forward positions , so we arent so reliant in our defenseman scoring . If you really look at what washington changed in the series against us, they extended their defense out top. We like to go down low, and then kick it out, for our defenseman to shoot the puck. Much of our offense is predicated in this manner. Most teams tried to pack it in against us. Not Washington, they extended their defense up in the face of our defenseman , took away their time and space.

Bob- Goalie, I want harp on this much, but no way I go into the playoffs next year , with him as my first option. I dont want to hear that he was good this series, as he was not. He was good, games 1, and game 2. Game 3 his save percentage was .906, game 4 his save percentage was .862, and game 6 when it mattered most, his save percentage was .815

Compile that with his career playoff record of 5-14 with a GAA of 3.49 and a save percentage of .891. Sorry, thats flat out unacceptable for the second highest paid goalie in the Nhl. Jarmo better be on the phone with Elvis asap. I'm not saying hes the answer , but I get him to North America, ASAP

I'm pretty sure Elvis is locked in with Lugano for one more year with no out clause.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad