Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Then Keefe would be in for a rude awakening when he works with this group of snowflakes.

wait - that’s actually too much credit, these guys aren’t triggered by ANYTHING.

Except Keefe has been working with this generation of kids for years, whereas Babcock is 17 years removed (about a hockey generation) from working with these kids in the minors.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The whole no NHL experience narrative for Keefe not being worthy of the gig is terrible. How else should he get the experience?

Give him a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I don’t doubt for a second that Keefe is the next coach of the Maple Leafs but I am not convinced this season is when it will happen.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The whole no NHL experience narrative for Keefe not being worthy of the gig is terrible. How else should he get the experience?

Give him a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Never!

Look at what happened to Dallas Eakins.

If Babcock should get fired, they will bring in a Babcock clone that type of defensive minded coach with experience, or bring back Peter Hoerachek.

Shanahan is kind of stupid. If he thought it was a good idea to fire the coach the first time, very doubtful he has learned his lesson.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
The GM is the real problem here and not the coach.

All we got to do is look at the third line they iced tonight. WTF is the only proper reaction.

That's the best they can do?

:baghead:
Except for the fact that a lot of these problems predate the GM. These have been ongoing issues that involve one constant: Babcock.

Babock refuses to change and adapt a modern thinking. He's forcing his system on the team, instead of implementing a system based on the team.

Babcock doesn't change his ways to suit the game. He just waits and expects the game to change to suit his ways. He's a dinosaur that should have gone extinct long before now

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
for me it's pretty simple ULF

we just had back to back 100 point seasons with babs and a 95 where we should not have made the POs

and this year,, a 50% roster turn over and now we suck

it all points towards the roster.

But I don't think they've been a contender, even with the 100 point seasons.

Let's be honest, we knew they didn't play a winning system and still don't.

Reactions: Rocker13

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Some people think the coach, some think the GM and some think the collection of players. Some think all together.

Regardless, there is always a chain of events. Before you can get to the next level, you have to start at the first.

That would be the coach. Then you can check that problem off the list. Next level.
we just had back to back 100p seasons with babs

and then a 50% roster turn over

dubas brought in the wrong players

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Jeremy Roenick said it best recently. He said back in his day he was choked out by Keenan because he wouldn't play his way. The team way. When he was choked out he finally realized he has to change the way he approaches games.

He said nowadays if a coach does that, he'd be arrested. He says nowadays the NHL coach has to work with the player throughout.
If that really is the case, the Dubas should pull a Lou Lamoerillo - fire Babcock then go behind the bench himself like Lou did 2 or 3 times.

The players are going to love Dubas.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
One thing is true...keep both babcock and dubas so we can get that lottery pick and then let them go.

I'm for firing babcock now, make some long term trades and get going but...

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Something has to change and unless this team rights the ship starting next game it will be Babcock.
I don't think he is the problem tho. Part of it yes, but a small percentage.

Sack Babcock and what good coach in their right mind would ever want to come here? This poisoness fan base, media and soft core of players. If I was a coach I wouldn't want anything to do with this franchise. No one is ever given a chance.
Apart from Muzz and Holl this teams defence is deplorable. It needs to be fixed and I am not sure if it is a coaching issue or just softness.
Fix the team defence and things will fall into place.
I feel really bad for both Kaskisuo and Hutch
Maybe Anderson is elite?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
But I don't think they've been a contender, even with the 100 point seasons.

Let's be honest, we knew they didn't play a winning system and still don't.
they took the eastern champs to seven games
gardiner craps the bed with a minus -3 , the POs before game seven and minus -5

babs got stuck with a world class choker in his top 4

Reactions: Polaris1010

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Something has to change and unless this team rights the ship starting next game it will be Babcock.
I don't think he is the problem tho. Part of it yes, but a small percentage.

Sack Babcock and what good coach in their right mind would ever want to come here? This poisoness fan base, media and soft core of players. If I was a coach I wouldn't want anything to do with this franchise. No one is ever given a chance.
Apart from Muzz and Holl this teams defence is deplorable. It needs to be fixed and I am not sure if it is a coaching issue or just softness.
Fix the team defence and things will fall into place.
I feel really bad for both Kaskisuo and Hutch
Maybe Anderson is elite?

yup,,you get the team into the POs when it should not have

then post back to back 100 point seasons , take the east champs to 7 games

then have a 50% roster turn over and the GM screws the pooch

and 22 games later you are fired

you are right, no sane coach would come to this toxic environment.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I find it funny that 2 days ago the old school media felt it wasn't the coach's fault and it was all the players. Now tonight they are completely flipping and saying its time for a change. Are they:
A) realizing this oaf can't coach
B) jumping on a trend to save face and sound right once it happens
C) all of the above

Reactions: Chompchompr and IPS

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Well, certainly Dubas wouldn't be far behind. This isn't a knock on him, but when I first saw him and his age I was surprised. Though I would be impressed if he were the smart, wheeler and dealer who has his pulse on the team. If he was the best guy for the job according to Shanny and others, they have to go with it regardless of age.

His biggest mistake was not trading Nyander when he sat out rather than keeping him in hopes it works out well. You trade him for what you need. A need they never has materialized, though he has tried. A vital piece on the back end. You also send a message, and you have to mean it "if you sit out and try to squeeze us, we will remind you that you have no leverage".

He could then get Marner and Matthews for less. How much less is debatable, but the Nylander contract just gave their caps a comparison that was well leveraged.

You need cash to add depth and build a team. They had four lines rolling at one point, it's been replaced with cheap, young, unproven talent at the bottom of their lineup. You need real defensemen, at least a very competent four. The overpaying ties his hands.

I would actually not be surprised if he considers making a bit of a splash. Move Kapanan or Johnsson. Do something to inject some energy. Bring in some men. It's amazing how a couple of short contracts takes away all of your GM and organization moves really fast in a Cap era. You have to get creative.

I do think they will (or can) turn it around, but the patience of fans, the sheer inconsistency and even lack of desperation on the ice is real.

It's only going to get uglier...is he going to keep Andersen and overpay him, how about Rielly? They will probably expect an overpayment like the other guys. He has really set a precedent of overpayments that's not going away, and the cap won't increase fast enough.

You're right about Nylander...can't believe he let him sat out for 2 months and still had to make him whole. Does Dubas know who he is working for? This is the Toronto Maple Leafs, not the Arizona Coyotes...he doesn't need to beg players to play for this historic franchise.

He should get creative quick...package Barrie, Johnsson and a pick for some grit and toughness. There will be suitors.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Babcock hasn't been good since Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom were in their prime.

A talented roster covers up a lot of warts.

So why isn't the current star-ridden Toronto roster covering up for Babcock's warts like the Detroit one? Clearly they should be able to. McJesus and Draisaitl are single-handedly winning games for Oilers.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Just do it already.

We're still early in the season. If you wanna fire Babcock...this is literally the perfect time to do it and change your teams fortune around.

Its not like we're falling apart in March and April like we did last year. Babcock is practically handing everything in a platter for the Leafs management to fire him

Reactions: glue

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
no
that's on dubass and this wimpy no heart roster
This "wimpy no-heart roster" has made the playoffs every year for the last three years. And all the "no-heart" players looked at THAT time like they wanted to win. So the question is, what the f*** happened over the last 4 years to take them from fighting to not giving a shit? And why does it seem to slowly effect every player the Leafs' acquire, no matter what? Unless they're, say, Zack Hyman or Patrick Marleau?

Reactions: WillNy29

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I find it funny that 2 days ago the old school media felt it wasn't the coach's fault and it was all the players. Now tonight they are completely flipping and saying its time for a change. Are they:
A) realizing this oaf can't coach
B) jumping on a trend to save face and sound right once it happens
C) all of the above
D) run out of things to talk about

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This "wimpy no-heart roster" has made the playoffs every year for the last three years. And all the "no-heart" players looked at THAT time like they wanted to win. So the question is, what the **** happened over the last 4 years to take them from fighting to not giving a ****? And why does it seem to slowly effect every player the Leafs' acquire, no matter what? Unless they're, say, Zack Hyman or Patrick Marleau?
50% roster turn over this season, mate and a horrid back up tender

go look at how kadri/brown/hainsey/zaitsev are doing

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
50% roster turn over this season, mate and a horrid back up tender

go look at how kadri/brown/hainsey/zaitsev are doing
You mean okay, shit, shit and shit?
And all keeping Brown and Hainsey would have done is guaranteed then being overplayed by Babcock as well. Again.

Also, I realized it after I posted, but if you're point is correct, your point actually MAKES mine. Why are players that are leaving suddenly playing better? You don't think the source might be the same as why players who come in suddenly look like shit?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You mean okay, ****, **** and ****?
And all keeping Brown and Hainsey would have done is guaranteed then being overplayed by Babcock as well. Again.

Also, I realized it after I posted, but if you're point is correct, your point actually MAKES mine. Why are players that are leaving suddenly playing better? You don't think the source might be the same as why players who come in suddenly look like ****?
and that so called over playing got them a 100 point season and took the eastern champs to game 7

where our super choker gardiner posted another brilliant game 7

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
This "wimpy no-heart roster" has made the playoffs every year for the last three years. And all the "no-heart" players looked at THAT time like they wanted to win. So the question is, what the **** happened over the last 4 years to take them from fighting to not giving a ****? And why does it seem to slowly effect every player the Leafs' acquire, no matter what? Unless they're, say, Zack Hyman or Patrick Marleau?

I think Kadri meant more to the Leafs than most people thought. Fire Dubas and either replace Kadri's heart & passion for the game. or bring him back.

Reactions: mcleex

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You mean okay, ****, **** and ****?

Also, I realized it after I posted, but if you're point is correct, your point actually MAKES mine. Why are players that are leaving suddenly playing better? You don't think the source might be the same as why players who come in suddenly look like ****?

i never said they played bad last season, they filled the roles that needed filling

and the guys that dubas brought in can't fill those roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad