Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
i never said they played bad last season, they filled the roles that needed filling

and the guys that dubas brought in can't fill those roles
Funny, 'cause it seems to me like the problem ain't the players that replaced Brown, Marleau, and Kadri. Hainsey and Zaitsev absolutely, but then Cody Ceci should not be playing #2 on any team trying to go anywhere. And I'm sorry, but that's not Dubas' fault. Not getting someone to play with Reilly is his fault, but sticking Ceci there and pretending everything is fine? That's Babcock.

Reactions: Tmart335

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I think Kadri meant more to the Leafs than most people thought. Fire Dubas and either replace Kadri's heart & passion for the game. or bring him back.
If Kadri was the heart of the Leafs, they'd have given up after Game 2 last year, and after Game 1 the year before.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
These guys were reporting literally days ago that there’s no indication of Babcock’s job being in jeopardy.

I didn’t believe them then. Must be a cushion job these “insiders” have
Who cares. Once that train gets rolling the media has enough of an effect to get him fired. And he should be. Hes lost this team and his decisions have been baffling for years. Theres no excuses anymore. Hes got the center depth, the goalie and a defense that should be good enough on paper.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Funny, 'cause it seems to me like the problem ain't the players that replaced Brown, Marleau, and Kadri. Hainsey and Zaitsev absolutely, but then Cody Ceci should not be playing #2 on any team trying to go anywhere. And I'm sorry, but that's not Dubas' fault. Not getting someone to play with Reilly is his fault, but sticking Ceci there and pretending everything is fine? That's Babcock.
i don't see any other options
it sure as hell ain't barrie

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I am just going to repeat my post from the mainboards here:

Anyone who has paid attention to this team for the past couple seasons understands that this crap show is because of Babcock.

Go back to a year ago - The Leafs came out flying - 1st or second in the league for almost the whole first half of the season. After every game, in which the Leafs' usually clobbered their opposition, Babcock would talk to the press looking depressed and complain that the Leafs were not playing the right way. There was an obvious power struggle between the players and Babcock and Babcock eventually won - as the season went on Babs was putting more and more of his stamp on the team and finally had forced everyone to his will by the halfway mark.

But, for a while, before the team was too Babafied it was a really good team. After 38 games the team was still comfortably in 2nd in the NHL - pacing for 117 points. They had a +39 goal differential and were pacing for 311 goals for (2nd) and 227 goals against (top 10). The team was exciting. The players were having fun. The fans were excited. Babs was miserable. And Babs is all that matters. Keep in mind that this was a team that was every bit as soft and was as weak defensively as people say the current team is - they can win - if they are allowed to play in a way that suits their style.

After Babs got his way? For the final 44 games the team was a shell. The players looked miserable. The fans looks like they would rather poke their eyes out than watch the completely style of play that was also completely unsuited for the team. But Babs in the press conference after the team lost each lifeless game - he was ecstatic with a hardon as big as Saskatchewan. The team played at a 86 point pace during that time - and playing Babs way - they also stunk defensively (pacing for 311 goals against - worst in the NHL).

That has simply continued on from last year. A set of vomit inducing systems that are mindbendingly boring and players who look like they would rather be anywhere else.

Babcock is a cancer for this team.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Who cares. Once that train gets rolling the media has enough of an effect to get him fired. And he should be. Hes lost this team and his decisions have been baffling for years. Theres no excuses anymore. Hes got the center depth, the goalie and a defense that should be good enough on paper.
ummm what?

and games are not played on paper

just ask jersey/rangers/knights/preds/sharks

all paper tigers so far

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The media works for/with our ownership. The media has finally turned on Babcock. That means that they've been given notice that he's done here.

He'll never coach another game here again. Expect the team to look fast, aggressive, skilled and passionate again once the witch is dead.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I am just going to repeat my post from the mainboards here:

Anyone who has paid attention to this team for the past couple seasons understands that this crap show is because of Babcock.

Go back to a year ago - The Leafs came out flying - 1st or second in the league for almost the whole first half of the season. After every game, in which the Leafs' usually clobbered their opposition, Babcock would talk to the press looking depressed and complain that the Leafs were not playing the right way. There was an obvious power struggle between the players and Babcock and Babcock eventually won - as the season went on Babs was putting more and more of his stamp on the team and finally had forced everyone to his will by the halfway mark.

But, for a while, before the team was too Babafied it was a really good team. After 38 games the team was still comfortably in 2nd in the NHL - pacing for 117 points. They had a +39 goal differential and were pacing for 311 goals for (2nd) and 227 goals against (top 10). The team was exciting. The players were having fun. The fans were excited. Babs was miserable. And Babs is all that matters. Keep in mind that this was a team that was every bit as soft and was as weak defensively as people say the current team is - they can win - if they are allowed to play in a way that suits their style.

After Babs got his way? For the final 44 games the team was a shell. The players looked miserable. The fans looks like they would rather poke their eyes out than watch the completely style of play that was also completely unsuited for the team. But Babs in the press conference after the team lost each lifeless game - he was ecstatic with a hardon as big as Saskatchewan. The team played at a 86 point pace during that time - and playing Babs way - they also stunk defensively (pacing for 311 goals against - worst in the NHL).

That has simply continued on from last year. A set of vomit inducing systems that are mindbendingly boring and players who look like they would rather be anywhere else.

Babcock is a cancer for this team.

Remarkably accurate and well put.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
So why isn't the current star-ridden Toronto roster covering up for Babcock's warts like the Detroit one? Clearly they should be able to. McJesus and Draisaitl are single-handedly winning games for Oilers.
An excellent question. I think he's taken the joy out of hockey for these guys. They are just punching the clock and collecting their winnings

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
So why isn't the current star-ridden Toronto roster covering up for Babcock's warts like the Detroit one? Clearly they should be able to. McJesus and Draisaitl are single-handedly winning games for Oilers.
thats because mcdavid and draisatl actually get the TOI to do so

edit: matthews and willy destroying the blackhawks and played about 21 minutes; babcock moans about them playing too much

Last edited:
Reactions: DivInit23

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This could have simply been avoided if they had either went with Hunter or Lamorello.

I don’t get what the hell expected to happen. Dubas/Babcock are not on the same page. Dubas literally took away all of the players Babcock was able to make effective in order to have his dworf figure skating team

Reactions: MyBudJT and mcleex

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019

lmao. I love when somebody makes so much sense. Do let me know what they answer for this one. I believe it's easier to coach players who are willing to buy into systems, have strong work ethic, etc..which means Babcock would do better with only a few skill only players and the rest are mostly about work ethic, smarts, etc. Our team is full of skill and not much else and that's really the big issue. No one can deny that you need some scorers and all but i always laugh now when i see young people making lines full of speed and skill(and i can't blame them because when i was that young i did it too until i started noticing it's a fantasy and doesn't really transfer well into real world...then i noticed that it's really a balancing act where you need just enough of heart, scoring, smarts, etc).

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
This could have simply been avoided if they had either went with Hunter or Lamorello.

I don’t get what the hell expected to happen. Dubas/Babcock are not on the same page. Dubas literally took away all of the players Babcock was able to make effective in order to have his dworf figure skating team

What team did Babcock make effective?

Reactions: DivInit23 and Kurtz

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
lmao. I love when somebody makes so much sense. Do let me know what they answer for this one. I believe it's easier to coach players who are willing to buy into systems, have strong work ethic, etc..which means Babcock would do better with only a few skill only players and the rest are mostly about work ethic, smarts, etc. Our team is full of skill and not much else and that's really the big issue. No one can deny that you need some scorers and all but i always laugh now when i see young people making lines full of speed and skill(and i can't blame them because when i was that young i did it too until i started noticing it's a fantasy and doesn't really transfer well into real world...then i noticed that it's really a balancing act where you need just enough of heart, scoring, smarts, etc).
why can't scoring have heart and work ethic? or is heart and work ethic just a codeword for talentless?
Theo Fleury and Gilmour were small skill players but high motor, heart of a lion types; none of these traits are mutually exclusive

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
The most telling thing was when Matthews scored that powerplay goal and said they went away from the plan and moved around to make it happen (direct shot at coach one of a few hes actually taken)
Babcock was not happy they scored that goal that way; he referred to it as an "ad lib"

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
why can't scoring have heart and work ethic? or is heart and work ethic just a codeword for talentless?
Theo Fleury and Gilmour were small skill players but high motor, heart of a lion types; none of these traits are mutually exclusive
Think how difficult it was to make it to the NHL back then for players their size. They were true exceptions

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
The most telling thing was when Matthews scored that powerplay goal and said they went away from the plan and moved around to make it happen (direct shot at coach one of a few hes actually taken)
Babcock was not happy they scored that goal that way; he referred to it as an "ad lib"
Oh yea he's definitely lost the plot and the players. I also think he is over-riding Hakstol and McFarland

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
more times then not a player either has it inside them or they do not

2 perfect examples crosby and kessel , one has it,,,,, the other will never
2 more kadri/nylander

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Another thing - when it comes to the percentage of time this team is leading and trailing during games this season they have managed to fall exactly inline with the tank season:

2015/16 season: leading 21.7% of the time; trailing 39.4% of the time.
This season: leading 22.0% of the time; trailing 38.9% of the time.

The 3 seasons in between they averaged 37.2% and 28.3%.

So it's a complete disaster, and must be completely demoralizing for the players - at least in the tank year they were tanking.

If they don't right this ship quick things will have gone too far and they will have to start over with a new rebuild.

But anyway, I am not a long time Leafs' fan (and there is another team I also cheer for), but I have watched every single Leafs game for a little more than 3 years now, but I just have to step away - maybe for just a game, maybe for a month, I don't know - but this game broke me. There have been too many Leafs' games over the past 11 months where I had asked myself "why the hell am I watching this? Am I some kind of masochist?" But this last game was something else. I have watched games where a team lost 6-1, but I came away saying, well my team had some bad bounces or something. This game really should have been about 12-1 and the Pens started going easy on them.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I find it funny that 2 days ago the old school media felt it wasn't the coach's fault and it was all the players. Now tonight they are completely flipping and saying its time for a change. Are they:
A) realizing this oaf can't coach
B) jumping on a trend to save face and sound right once it happens
C) all of the above

Sounds like a lot of folks on this board.

I don't plan on letting any of them off the hook when Babs gets the boot.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Think how difficult it was to make it to the NHL back then for players their size. They were true exceptions
Marchand, gallagher, marner
Its not a trait exclusive to talentless plugs; the desire to win comes from internal drive to win not from size or in the case of the poster i was quoting someone who cant score

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
more times then not a player either has it inside them or they do not

2 perfect examples crosby and kessel , one has it,,,,, the other will never
2 more kadri/nylander
Wait the guy who had cancer and came back only to be a career PPG player in the playoffs and have a dominant playoff performance for one of two back to back cups doesnt have "it" or are you trying to say crosby doesnt have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad