Player Discussion Zac Jones

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Who should he be taking minutes from? Fox, Trouba, Miller, or Lindgren?
Hajek lol he plays two games then we see Hajek for 3. Hajek sucks and has reached his potential

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Going to bump this bad boy up. He's been rock solid since Fox went down and he was added into the lineup. He deserves some recognition for it.

SSS but he's a nice piece to have and you have your Gustafson replacement if he prices himself out this summer.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
He’s inconsistent, but you can see the potential there. He needs gobs of minutes to develop more at this level. I’m not sure it will happen here, in fact I’m pretty sure it won’t, but I enjoy rooting for him

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I feel like people can’t comprehend the idea that you don’t have to be great defensively to have an overwhelmingly positive impact on the game as a defenseman
In games like today's, a track meet, his ability to quickly move the puck is dynamite. In tighter and more defensive games I get nervous when he's out there. I imagine this would include the playoffs. He's still developing though; the things he does well are good assets to have and the things he struggles with you can somewhat mitigate by sheltering him and/or making sure he's out there with a really responsible partner.

If nothing else I think he has justified keeping him for the rest of the season and possibly next.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
In games like today's, a track meet, his ability to quickly move the puck is dynamite. In tighter and more defensive games I get nervous when he's out there. I imagine this would include the playoffs. He's still developing though; the things he does well are good assets to have and the things he struggles with you can somewhat mitigate by sheltering him and/or making sure he's out there with a really responsible partner.

If nothing else I think he has justified keeping him for the rest of the season and possibly next.

If he's in the lineup during the playoffs it would be concerning to me. I'm glad he's getting a lot of experience right now because as soon as Fox returns Zac is headed back upstairs.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he's in the lineup during the playoffs it would be concerning to me. I'm glad he's getting a lot of experience right now because as soon as Fox returns Zac is headed back upstairs.
Oh yeah for sure. When Fox is back there's no room for him with everyone healthy. I'm just speaking to his game in general.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The bruins are very aggressive in front of the opposing net and Jones was able to keep himself in between the bruins players and quick. Think he is going to be ok. And he has been excellent moving the puck. Feeling pretty confident about Jones lately.

Reactions: Kupo

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022

I just don’t get this mentality where the need to move the puck somehow disappears in the playoffs or in “tighter” games. His strengths are a necessity at all times and were the biggest deficiency with the team last year specifically the 3rd pair. Every time I watch Jones he looks like a guy they need for the playoffs more than Schneider

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I just don’t get this mentality where the need to move the puck somehow disappears in the playoffs or in “tighter” games. His strengths are a necessity at all times and were the biggest deficiency with the team last year specifically the 3rd pair. Every time I watch Jones he looks like a guy they need for the playoffs more than Schneider
I didn't say or imply the need disappears in the playoffs.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015

yeah especially last year vs the Devils, we needed someone who could move the puck. i thought he was very good in his own zone today too anyway. i think he is already better than Schneider.

the Panthers dragged the corpse of Marc Staal all the way to the finals last year because they paired him with someone who could move the puck out of the zone quickly.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
yeah especially last year vs the Devils, we needed someone who could move the puck. i thought he was very good in his own zone today too anyway. i think he is already better than Schneider.

the Panthers dragged the corpse of Marc Staal all the way to the finals last year because they paired him with someone who could move the puck out of the zone quickly.
Its funny because I was just watching Marc Staal suck an unbelievable amount of ass for the Flyers.

Reactions: zlev

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
I am glad you are not the GM of the Rangers. Jones would get exposed so bad in the playoffs that its silly. It terrible how Ranger fans love to bash on Schneider, Trouba and Miller. You guys don't know what we have. Trouba and Miller would each be a #2 or #3 on most NHL teams. There might be maybe 5 teams besides the Rangers where Schneider wouldn't be a #4 at worst. Schneider just turned 22 and he has already played 143 career games and 27 playoff games as a defenseman. That doesn't happen often at such a young age.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I am glad you are not the GM of the Rangers. Jones would get exposed so bad in the playoffs that its silly. It terrible how Ranger fans love to bash on Schneider, Trouba and Miller. You guys don't know what we have. Trouba and Miller would each be a #2 or #3 on most NHL teams. There might be maybe 5 teams besides the Rangers where Schneider wouldn't be a #4 at worst. Schneider just turned 22 and he has already played 143 career games and 27 playoff games as a defenseman. That doesn't happen often at such a young age.
lol what? What does this have to do with Miller. This isn’t a matter of under appreciating Schneider. He’s always been an extremely mistake prone player when it comes to moving the puck out of the D zone (same with Trouba) and it kills the teams transition/offense. It’s why the 3rd pair blows beyond belief every time they pair Schneider with another horse sized player who can’t make a breakout pass (Mikkola, Harpur, Nemeth, Hajek).

Schneider can defend well but it’s mitigated by how much he relies on his partner to move the puck. He’s by no means too good to ever come out of the lineup for Jones. It will be extremely dumb if NYR don’t see what they have in Jones with Gus/Lindgren/Trouba

Last edited:
Reactions: zlev

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Miller. Miller may be our most overrated guy. Quite frankly, he is awful at defense.

Miller, the guy who has 8 points and is a +9

Jones is has the worst plus minus on the team with a -4

Jones is young and will get better, but he surely isnt doing much to help defensively.

Still think whatever offense he provides wont compensate for how shakey he looks in the D zone... I do hope to be proven wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad