Your unpopular playoff retrospective opinion

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
By my eye test, they were outplayed by Toronto, were better than Winnipeg and were outplayed by Vegas.

Your eye test sucks. The only series where you have a claim was Toronto, where Toronto was the better team overall 1-6 and then took a dump on the ice in game 7, in which they weren't even competitive.

Vegas most certainly was not the better team in their series and that is a laughable take that I'd expect someone who just wants to win an argument. They weren't very threatening offensively besides maaaaybe 2 games and their goaltending was pretty poor.

Last edited:

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Your eye test sucks. The only series where you have a claim was Toronto, where Toronto was the better team overall 1-6 and then took a dump on the ice in game 7, in which they weren't even competitive.

Vegas most certainly was not the better team in their series and that is a laughable take that I'd expect someone who just wants to win an argument. They weren't very threatening offensively besides maaaaybe 2 games and their goaltending was pretty poor.
Lol.

“Nuh uh, your eye test sucks more!”

By the way, I ain’t trying to win anything. You engaged me on this topic. There’s nothing that can be done to help with blind loyalty for some fans.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Since the Rangers won this game am I allowed to say that game 2 against the Panthers was boring too and confirms that a high percentage of playoff games are boring AF?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Lol.

“Nuh uh, your eye test sucks more!”

By the way, I ain’t trying to win anything. You engaged me on this topic. There’s nothing that can be done to help with blind loyalty for some fans.
I call BS. You're working very hard to win. For whatever reason, you're very attached to the vague feeling that Montreal was 'lucky' in 2020/21, and you've spent considerable time trying to convince people that your invisible and unmeasurable feeling is a concrete fact. While I respect your feelings – god knows I have my own strong feelings about teams and players – you've come across like someone trying to diminish what actually happened and swap it out for an unflattering alternate reality.

Be honest – would you accept my argument that Montreal was "Unlucky" to miss the playoffs in 2019, or "Unlucky" in the SCF when Price had a substandard game? Once you believe "Lucky" is real, you also have to accept "Unlucky" is real. And then we enter this make-believe world of imaginary excuses for any outcome.

Rather than make this about invisible and unmeasurable feelings, I'd rather respect the results as-is and stay in this reality. There are concrete reasons why Montreal made the SCF. Fans who watched closely know precisely why Montreal finished the season weak and started the playoffs strong. Anyone genuinely interested can ask.

Reactions: FerrisRox

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I call BS. You're working very hard to win. For whatever reason, you're very attached to the vague feeling that Montreal was 'lucky' in 2020/21, and you've spent considerable time trying to convince people that your invisible and unmeasurable feeling is a concrete fact. While I respect your feelings – god knows I have my own strong feelings about teams and players – you've come across like someone trying to diminish what actually happened and swap it out for an unflattering alternate reality.

Be honest – would you accept my argument that Montreal was "Unlucky" to miss the playoffs in 2019, or "Unlucky" in the SCF when Price had a substandard game? Once you believe "Lucky" is real, you also have to accept "Unlucky" is real. And then we enter this make-believe world of imaginary excuses for any outcome.

Rather than make this about invisible and unmeasurable feelings, I'd rather respect the results as-is and stay in this reality. There are concrete reasons why Montreal made the SCF. Fans who watched closely know precisely why Montreal finished the season weak and started the playoffs strong. Anyone genuinely interested can ask.
First off, I’ve spent a considerable amount of time in this thread because I’m rebutting direct quotes. I hadn’t been in this thread for well over a week until I was quoted again. Secondly, you can call it bs all you want, that doesn’t make it true. I enjoy debating and talking hockey. Take a look at the petterson penalty thread if you think I’ve spent time in this one. If I believe something I’ll defend how a got that stance when called out. I don’t care how I come across to you or anyone else I’ve responded to in this thread or others.

Thirdly, of course I believe there is bad luck. It happens all the time. Manson goes to block a pass across in the Dallas series, puts it in his own net. Dallas player does the exact same thing in the exact same game. Neither were trying to score on their own team. They both got unlucky and it cost them.

Colorado was lucky to make the playoffs in 13-14. Similar story to my view of the playoffs habs team we’re discussing. They rode semyon varlomov who had an outstanding season. He was the absolute driving factor to a playoff appearance. They then regressed hard after it wasn’t duplicated.

You can stay in whatever reality you chose, if you don’t like my viewpoint don’t quote me and I will disappear into the great wide interwebs once again. Much to your disbelief I don’t sit here and read every post waiting for a mtl fan to chime in. I only see the notifications I get. But if you quote me I will very much engage, that’s what this forum is about and I believe my stance. That choice is yours.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
First off, I’ve spent a considerable amount of time in this thread because I’m rebutting direct quotes. I hadn’t been in this thread for well over a week until I was quoted again. Secondly, you can call it bs all you want, that doesn’t make it true. I enjoy debating and talking hockey. Take a look at the petterson penalty thread if you think I’ve spent time in this one. If I believe something I’ll defend how a got that stance when called out. I don’t care how I come across to you or anyone else I’ve responded to in this thread or others.

Thirdly, of course I believe there is bad luck. It happens all the time. Manson goes to block a pass across in the Dallas series, puts it in his own net. Dallas player does the exact same thing in the exact same game. Neither were trying to score on their own team. They both got unlucky and it cost them.

Colorado was lucky to make the playoffs in 13-14. Similar story to the habs team we’re discussing. They rode semyon varlomov who had an outstanding season. He was the absolute driving factor to a playoff appearance. They then regressed hard after it wasn’t duplicated.

You can stay in whatever reality you chose, if you don’t like my viewpoint don’t quote me and I will disappear into the great wide interwebs once again. Much to your disbelief I don’t sit here and read every post waiting for a mtl fan to chime in. I only see the notifications I get. But if you quote me I will very much engage, that’s what this forum is about and I believe my stance. That choice is yours.
Don't disappear. I'm as invested in dialogue as you are and didn't intend my comments as a criticism of you personally. Happy to disagree as long as we keep it fun.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I believe that the puck was in the net for Calgary in the 2004 finals, but I'm also glad that Calgary lost. Teams playing that style were the biggest problem in hockey pre-lockout.

Hasek didn't carry Buffalo to the 1999 finals. He was great, but Buffalo was was the best offensive team in the playoffs heading into the finals (highest goals per game and also never scored fewer than 2 goals in a game) while playing a generally defensive style. People just look at Hasek, probably the best goaltender ever, and the Buffalo roster, mediocre, and conclude that Hasek must have carried them.

Detroit was the best team in the NHL in 1994 and would have pretty easily won the Stanley Cup if Yzerman had been anywhere near healthy. As it is of course, the team ended up suffering a mortifying upset.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Don't disappear. I'm as invested in dialogue as you are and didn't intend my comments as a criticism of you personally. Happy to disagree as long as we keep it fun.
I won’t if I feel there’s good debate to be had. I will concede that I’ve leaned into the “didn’t deserve” portion too heavily, mostly in response to the vitriol and pushback from a couple posters. There will always be a certain amount of “deservedness” from a team that makes the finals. The final score is all that matters in the end, and they made it. I gain nothing by trying to take that away from them, nor do I want to.

Reactions: Lshap

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Not just playoffs I guess but...

Why does the trapezoid still (even) exist? Get rid of it. Adds more excitement not less when goalies wander. And Fcuk the safety aspect. Too minimal to worry about.

Reactions: BCNate

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Not just playoffs I guess but...

Why does the trapezoid still (even) exist? Get rid of it. Adds more excitement not less when goalies wander. And Fcuk the safety aspect. Too minimal to worry about.
You wouldn't be saying that if Marty Turco was playing in his prime.

People shit on the trapezoid but when there's several elite puck moving goaltenders every puck that gets dumped in ended up just going the opposite direction. Made the games very one-sided.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
You wouldn't be saying that if Marty Turco was playing in his prime.

People shit on the trapezoid but when there's several elite puck moving goaltenders every puck that gets dumped in ended up just going the opposite direction. Made the games very one-sided.

Totally and respectfully disagree. I loved Brodeur, Turco, Hextall, etc. Added another element to the game. Also its rarely mentioned that those elites got scored upon too quite frequently by wandering. I just think it's useless

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Totally and respectfully disagree. I loved Brodeur, Turco, Hextall, etc. Added another element to the game. Also its rarely mentioned that those elites got scored upon too quite frequently by wandering. I just think it's useless
The forecheck is completely nullified 80 percent of a game itd make the 1-3-1 extremely desirable to play and ultimately make the league shittier to watch.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Can someone tell me if Kreider went after Price to win the series why he didn't do the same to Quick the next round? Sure would have helped.
This isn't a CIA mission where a team chooses a player and takes them out. Collisions in hockey happen organically, and when they do, Kreider was one of those players known for maximizing the impact.

Players are shoved and tripped into goalies a hundred times a year (see Knies in round-1). Most players do what Knies did on Swayman – they change their body position to minimize or avoid serious impact. Kreider didn't minimize anything. Unlike other players, when Kreider was tripped or pushed into a goalie, they were hurt. This happened to multiple goalies for a few years. The guy developed a reputation for it. If the Jeopardy answer was "He runs goalies", every hockey fan would've instantly hit the buzzer and yelled, "Who is Chris Kreider". I mean, the guy became a verb ("He was Kreidered"). The reason his impact on Price is brought up more than his other goalie collisions is that, obviously, it happened in the ECF.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This isn't a CIA mission where a team chooses a player and takes them out. Collisions in hockey happen organically, and when they do, Kreider was one of those players known for maximizing the impact.

Players are shoved and tripped into goalies a hundred times a year (see Knies in round-1). Most players do what Knies did on Swayman – they change their body position to minimize or avoid serious impact. Kreider didn't minimize anything. Unlike other players, when Kreider was tripped or pushed into a goalie, they were hurt. This happened to multiple goalies for a few years. The guy developed a reputation for it. If the Jeopardy answer was "He runs goalies", every hockey fan would've instantly hit the buzzer and yelled, "Who is Chris Kreider". I mean, the guy became a verb ("He was Kreidered"). The reason his impact on Price is brought up more than his other goalie collisions is that, obviously, it happened in the ECF.

Canadiens fans and their 10 year long grudges and conspiracy theories. You guys realize you're the biggest whiners in sports, right? Literally no other fanbase holds 10 year long grudges. And no a facetious tradition of "Potvin sucks" where 80% of the fanbase doesn't even know who Potvin is and the other 20% roll their eyes when they hear it is not the same thing.

Reactions: clmetsfan

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Canadiens fans and their 10 year long grudges and conspiracy theories. You guys realize you're the biggest whiners in sports, right? Literally no other fanbase holds 10 year long grudges. And no a facetious tradition of "Potvin sucks" where 80% of the fanbase doesn't even know who Potvin is and the other 20% roll their eyes when they hear it is not the same thing.
Maybe you should instruct Bruins fans to stop hating Matt Cooke and Canucks fans to stop hating Marchand. Explain to them it's all a conspiracy and, according to you, it's been long enough. Then explain to every other fanbase how they should feel about whichever player they hate, and how long they're permitted to feel that way. I'm sure it'll go well.

Kreider has a reputation that was built over time. And because he's your guy, you automatically defend him, just like fans of Marchand, Cooke, Bennett, Trouba, etc. endlessly defend their guy. Your reaction is tiresome and typical. But unlike you, it doesn't offend me and I don't ramble on about this or that fanbase.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe you should instruct Bruins fans to stop hating Matt Cooke and Canucks fans to stop hating Marchand. Explain to them it's all a conspiracy and, according to you, it's been long enough. Then explain to every other fanbase how they should feel about whichever player they hate, and how long they're permitted to feel that way. I'm sure it'll go well.

Kreider has a reputation that was built over time. And because he's your guy, you automatically defend him, just like fans of Marchand, Cooke, Bennett, Trouba, etc. endlessly defend their guy. Your reaction is tiresome and typical. But unlike you, it doesn't offend me and I don't ramble on about this or that fanbase.

I know Rangers fans don't like Tom Wilson but everyone kind of forgot about him, no one cares. Tom Wilson legit came about an inch away from possibly ending Panarin's career not just knocking him out of a series. Also, Matt Cooke and Brad Marchand are hated by every fanbase. No one except for Montreal fans gives a shit about Kreider might offer some insight on how dirty he actually is. I mean Kreider has been in the league since 2011-2012 and only one fanbase hates him. Does that tell you something? Most fanbases hate Trouba, but literally no one but Montreal fans hate Kreider.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I know Rangers fans don't like Tom Wilson but everyone kind of forgot about him, no one cares. Tom Wilson legit came about an inch away from possibly ending Panarin's career not just knocking him out of a series. Also, Matt Cooke and Brad Marchand are hated by every fanbase. No one except for Montreal fans gives a shit about Kreider might offer some insight on how dirty he actually is. I mean Kreider has been in the league since 2011-2012 and only one fanbase hates him. Does that tell you something? Most fanbases hate Trouba, but literally no one but Montreal fans hate Kreider.

I'm sure many Rangers fans haven't forgotten Tom Wilson. If his name came up in a thread I'm sure a few Rangers fans would get their digs in, just like a few Habs fans took a shot at Kreider in this playoff thread. Same thing with every reputation player who's pissed off at least one fanbase. This shocks you?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I believe that the game is becoming too fast and the league is setting the refs to fail. There are many ways in which the refs could be helped by the technology, but the league is not willing to consider them.

Also, I believe that in each playoffs, there are much more games/series decided by the refs than by the Conn Smythe winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad