Your unpopular playoff retrospective opinion

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Loyalty to who? Some multi-millionaire owner? A bunch a people that don't know who you are? Loyalty to a billion dollar franchise that just so happened to be located near where you were born and grew up?
This all irrefutable reasoning, but.... yes :dunno:
For whatever the reason for choosing their team may be, most people have one team they will always root for from childhood.
Free agency has probably been the biggest reason fan loyalty attitudes have changed more over the years. Watching a favorite player go cash in and play for the biggest rival only reinforces your stated opinions.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Loyalty to who? Some multi-millionaire owner? A bunch a people that don't know who you are? Loyalty to a billion dollar franchise that just so happened to be located near where you were born and grew

Loyalty to who? Some multi-millionaire owner? A bunch a people that don't know who you are? Loyalty to a billion dollar franchise that just so happened to be located near where you were born and grew up?
I was just asking a question. I don't cheer for a team we're I live but because you ask loyalty to the jersey. It might sound corny but that's just the way I am

For an entertainment product to which you are the consumer?

Loyalty ~ Stupidity.

But if it makes you happier, go for it since it is entertainment anyway.
If you goggle "is loyalty a virtue" you'll get my answer

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Todays top goalies:
- Hellebuyck, drafted 5th round
- Shesterkin, drafted 4th round
- Bobrovsky, undrafted
- Vasilevsky, drafted 1st round
- Demko, drafted second round

Sure, you can evaluate and draft/develop a good goalie but they are a very volatile commodity and there is most certainly luck involved.To suggest otherwise is hard to believe. And to suggest it’s not hard to do so with a world class goalie is not something I can get behind. There aren’t enough world class goalies to fill half the teams in the entire league yet only one of these guys were taken in the (later stages) first round? I guess all teams suck at talent evaluation?

And again, the above is more of a secondary topic to my original. The fact that he was able to play at that level, at his age and with his injury history, is amazing.
Hockey is a game built on bounces, meaning you can blame any single event on luck. However, multiply those bounces by many thousands during a series and luck is filtered out. No individual team or goalie 'lucks' their way through a playoff series, let alone multiple series. Luck is an emotional excuse fans use when what they expect to happen doesn't match what actually happens.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I was just asking a question. I don't cheer for a team we're I live but because you ask loyalty to the jersey. It might sound corny but that's just the way I am

If you goggle "is loyalty a virtue" you'll get my answer
Cult leaders agree. But, hey, if somebody feels better about themselves because they are loyal to a bad organization that doesn't really care about them and simply takes their money, that's totally their right and I will fight to defend that right!

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Hockey is a game built on bounces, meaning you can blame any single event on luck. However, multiply those bounces by many thousands during a series and luck is filtered out. No individual team or goalie 'lucks' their way through a playoff series, let alone multiple series. Luck is an emotional excuse fans use when what they expect to happen doesn't match what actually happens.
Nope. Habs were very lucky to reach the finals that year.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Nogatco Rd

noble man who is loved by many animal
Apr 3, 2021
A ranking of the 50 best teams of all time, ought to include multiple teams that didn’t win the cup

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Calling a team "Lucky" is fan-fiction. It's an excuse to deny reality and avoid admitting your opinion was wrong.
They were extremely lucky just to make the playoffs let alone get as far as they did. The north division was the best thing to happen to them and the sole reason for qualifying.

The only fan fiction in our conversation is you waxing poetic and romanticizing how they got there. It was luck.

Last edited:

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I'm sure you'll accept any make-believe theory, as long as it lets you deny the reality of what actually happened.
I’ve already outlined what happened and how I derived at my conclusion if you’d like to look back on it. Spent quite some time in discussing it with another Montreal fan, only to have them continue on with the same “nuh uh” tone as you’re going on with while not providing any substance other than “like, that’s your opinion man”. It’s you have reasoning as to why you think they weren’t lucky, go ahead and post it. Otherwise you’re not adding anything to the conversation and are indeed wasting your time and mine.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I’ve already outlined what actually happened and how I derived at my conclusion if you’d like to look back on it. Spent quite some time in discussing it with another Montreal fan, only to have them continue on with the same “nuh uh” tone as you’re going on with while not providing any substance other than “like, that’s your opinion man”. It’s you have reasoning as to why you think they weren’t lucky, go ahead and post it. Otherwise you’re not adding anything to the conversation and are indeed wasting your time and mine.
There is no substance to the claim that a SCF team was "Lucky". You can't evaluate that roster by pointing to different rosters in different seasons - that makes no sense. The entire premise that the Habs were lucky was invalid from the start.

If a team performs better than expected, the onus is on us to respect the results and adjust our perception. We can't retrofit the results to fit our perception. That said, you're welcome to believe what you want. I just find it completely unconvincing.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
There is no substance to the claim that a SCF team was "Lucky". You can't evaluate that roster by pointing to different rosters in different seasons - that makes no sense. The entire premise that the Habs were lucky was invalid from the start.

If a team performs better than expected, the onus is on us to respect the results and adjust our perception. You can't retrofit the results to fit your perception. That said, you're welcome to believe what you want. I just find it completely unconvincing.
As I thought…. No reasonable answer other than to “respect the results”. I do respect them and they made it there fair and square. And were lucky in doing so. These are all true statements that can, and do, co-exist. It’s unfortunate your blind bias dictates you to believing what you want. It’s just completely unconvincing.

snag

Feb 22, 2014

If a team performs better than expected, the onus is on us to respect the results and adjust our perception. We can't retrofit the results to fit our perception. That said, you're welcome to believe what you want. I just find it completely unconvincing.

Lightning in bottle.....I would consider that a form of luck. I mean, if you can't reproduce the results.....what does that say?

As for no SFC team being lucky....I would say Calgary calls bullshit. A team can certainly can get lucky....and that often means the other got screwed lol

I am a die hard Oilers fan who hates the Flames....but they got screwed. Tampa got lucky. ;)

Last edited:

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Calgary calls bullshit. A certain can certainly be lucky....and that often means the other got screwed lol

I am a die hard Oilers fan who hates the Flames....but they got screwed.

View attachment 875258
You probably don’t want to engage. They don’t want to actually discuss, just pout that people outside of Montreal fan base can see things differently. There’s no discussing with them just a bunch of “nuh uh, that not how I see it”.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
As I thought…. No reasonable answer other than to “respect the results”. I do respect them and they made it there fair and square. And were lucky in doing so. These are all true statements that can, and do, co-exist. It’s unfortunate your blind bias dictates you to believing what you want. It’s just completely unconvincing.
You can't claim to respect real results when you attribute them to imaginary luck. "Luck" exists in no column and no measurable statistic. It exists nowhere except your imaginary perceptions. Sorry, but that doesn't count for anything... except a weak argument.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Lightning in bottle.....I would consider that a form of luck. I mean, if you can't reproduce the results.....what does that say?

As for no SFC team being lucky....I would say Calgary calls bullshit. A team can certainly can get lucky....and that often means the other got screwed lol

I am a die hard Oilers fan who hates the Flames....but they got screwed. Tampa got lucky. ;)
I mean, every season is lightning in a bottle, no? Rosters change, injuries change, results change. Vegas won the Cup last year. This year they lost in round-1.

Vegas didn't come close to reproducing last year's success. Does that mean their Cup win was luck?

We can either accept the year-to-year swings as normal, or we can overlay a bunch of our own emotional crap.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
You can't claim to respect real results when you attribute them to imaginary luck. "Luck" exists in no column and no measurable statistic. It exists nowhere except your imaginary perceptions. Sorry, but that doesn't count for anything... except a weak argument.
Oh but I absolutely claim it. I even backed up why I believe so with numbers, reasoning, and logic. You don’t like that and continue to say I “can’t” believe this or that but give nothing other than your opinion. Give something of substance. Your wasting both of our time. You have an opinion, state why they earned their way to the finals over other teams that year.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I mean, every season is lightning in a bottle, no? Rosters change, injuries change, results change. Vegas won the Cup last year. This year they lost in round-1.

Vegas didn't come close to reproducing last year's success. Does that mean their Cup win was luck?

We can either accept the year-to-year swings as normal, or we can overlay a bunch of our own emotional crap.

To a degree. But did anyone expect Montreal to roll on to the SCF a few years ago with the roster they had? Would they do it again? To think there was no luck there....I am sorry. That will a tough sell to anyone outside of the Habs fanbase and should be the majority within it as well.

If you don't want to call it luck because you don't like the sound or implication of it, say they were fortunate then. Because they absolutely were. Covid alignment or not.

Anyway....that's all I gotta say :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad