Your top 7 for the 2024 draft

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
This is the first year in awhile where I really can't decide on who I want. For what it's worth I don't watch nearly enough of the prospects so tend to rely heavily on scouting reports. And I feel there's lots of reasons to love and be concerned with every forward outside of Celebrini. Kind of feel like I might as well wait for Bob's list and just go with that.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
best case scenario, they take Celebrini. Worst case scenario is they take Iginla according to my list. Its a win win imo. Both and those in between would be excellent editions, all of which could turn out to be top line players

Reactions: Rozz

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Thank you for sharing the video.
In that discussion section (on YouTube), many people have said that Michkov is better than Demidov.

I wonder if anyone here have followed KHL/MHL and could give us a clearer picture and a good comparison between Michkov and Demidov.

If Michkov is truly better (as many have mentioned) and was drafted at 7th, then is Demidov worth at 5th this year ?
I think the major reason(s) Michkov was taken at 7; signed for 3 more years (no control), Russian factor (war, uncertainty), the oddities surrounding his Dad's death, and he seems to be quite immature.

Ive not seen Demidov interviewed, and while he has incredible highlights, im equally not sure of the MHL quality, as the KHL has gone down a wrung.

I see Demidov being available at #5-#7 (assuming he is mature) so it's entirely possible we could draft him.
However (if) one of:
Levshunov (RHD)
Lindstrom (C/W)
Parekh (RHD)
Silayev (LHD)
Are available too, i would take them over Demidov.

Personally, I'd rather trade for a known commodity in Zegras or Kent Johnson, (right age) than draft a player who is identical, but not a sure thing.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This is the first year in awhile where I really can't decide on who I want. For what it's worth I don't watch nearly enough of the prospects so tend to rely heavily on scouting reports. And I feel there's lots of reasons to love and be concerned with every forward outside of Celebrini. Kind of feel like I might as well wait for Bob's list and just go with that.
Same. Well compared to last year I was pretty dead set on RB

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t think we’ve ever dropped. Going down to 5 in 2005. Going up to 3 in 2018. Not crazy good luck but no bad luck from what I remember

2005, I think the Habs were pretty much looking a mid 1st round pick in a normal year. But every team had a chance at #1 that year, and the Habs vaulted to #5

That was the most exciting draft because I was getting the feeling that Crosby was coming to montreal

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
2005, I think the Habs were pretty much looking a mid 1st round pick in a normal year. But every team had a chance at #1 that year, and the Habs vaulted to #5

That was the most exciting draft because I was getting the feeling that Crosby was coming to montreal
nah weren't bankrupt enough

Reactions: FloJack

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I think the major reason(s) Michkov was taken at 7; signed for 3 more years (no control), Russian factor (war, uncertainty), the oddities surrounding his Dad's death, and he seems to be quite immature.

Ive not seen Demidov interviewed, and while he has incredible highlights, im equally not sure of the MHL quality, as the KHL has gone down a wrung.

I see Demidov being available at #5-#7 (assuming he is mature) so it's entirely possible we could draft him.
However (if) one of:
Levshunov (RHD)
Lindstrom (C/W)
Parekh (RHD)
Silayev (LHD)
Are available too, i would take them over Demidov.

Personally, I'd rather trade for a known commodity in Zegras or Kent Johnson, (right age) than draft a player who is identical, but not a sure thing.
Kent Johnson can't score, he’s just a playmaker, we need a goal scorer.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
2. Helenius: Goldenhands is hfhabs goat. Seems exactly the type of player HuGo loves.

3. Iginla: Like duffman I think this is who we’ll end up with.

4. Buium: From what I’ve read/seen he’s actually good defensively. Just good period. BPA, BPA, BPA.

5: Levshunov: impressive production for NCAA at 18. RD is still a big need.

6. Demidov: can’t be disappointed there.

7. Lindstrom: All comes down to medical reports. If his back is ok he shouldn’t be there at our pick.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
By good luck you mean the Habs never slipped from the drafting slot they had going into a lottery? I don’t remember them ever winning one — maybe we’re due.
Even if you finish last you still need to win the lottery to draft 1st. We also won the 3rd pick in 2018. I'd call that good luck. Holding a presumptive draft position isn't a bad outcome at all either. Especially in the top-5 there is a high probability of moving back.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
When is the lottery again? because until this is settle, all of this is highly premature. Drafting 1, 5, 6 or 7 have massive implication on the overall approach I would think, including knowing who's ahead of MTL to try to anticipate their approach.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
In my opinion, a good trade isn't as simple and easy as it sounds. It's not as easy as in EA NHL where we can trade a D away to get an equivalent F.

I'll be very disappointed if we pick a D when Demidov, Lindstrom or Catton is still available.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Honestly, if the scouting is that this guy has Norris potential... Just draft him and figure the rest out later.
Right. I also want to make the point that defense is also a need for us. We finished 5th last - we have needs all over the roster. And while we do have a nice stable of young players/prospects on D, we lack star potential outside of Hutson and he's still very much a question mark at this point given his limitations. By contrast, our core at forward (Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Newhook, and Dach) are fairly well established top-6 NHLers, or at least safe to project as top-6 going forward.

In a scenario where Hutson becomes the next Mete, Mailloux busts, and Guhle and Reinbacher top out as middle pairing guys, we could seriously regret not taking a guy like Buium this year (not entirely out of the realm of possibility). That said, we do have depth on D which could produce some nice surprises to offset potential busts.

Regardless, I do expect a forward based on what was said in the post season presser.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Screw Zegras. Try for Kyrou instead.

Matheson + WIN first rounder + Harris for Kyrou.
Kyrou would be eaten alive in this market. I don't think he has what it takes to play here.
In my opinion, a good trade isn't as simple and easy as it sounds. It's not as easy as in EA NHL where we can trade a D away to get an equivalent F.

I'll be very disappointed if we pick a D when Demidov, Lindstrom or Catton is still available.

Very true.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Why are we not moving them if Buium is possibly a better player, again, in the minds of the person picking ?

If we had the first pick in 2018, would we just not draft Dahlin because we have Guhle and Hutson ?
Buium may not even be on the board when we pick. He could clearly be the BPA depending on who goes ahead of him.
He's a better hockey player and defenseman than Hutson IMO. The question is how much better than say Iginla or Helenius.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This is a year I'd love to be able to trade draft capital plus for another pick in or around the top 10.
I'd love to be able to take a shot at a 6'7" RD who is mobile. He just screams hard to play against.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
For anyone who follows WHL, how would you compare Catton to Zach Benson ?

How would you compare Lindstrom to Byfield ?
How would you compare Iginla to Brady Tkachuk ?
How would you compare Eiserman to Caufield ?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I see Lindstrom as the exact type of player the Hughes/ Gorton team are looking to add. If somehow they were able to add his size and skill to a top 6 with Dach and Slaf, it would change the direction of this franchise.

I would be willing to add assets to trade up to get Lindstrom. Obviously, it would be price-dependent, but I see him as the perfect fit, unless we win the lottery of course.
Sorry to be Debbie downer. I no longer consider dach in Habs plans. If he can play a full season great. I doubt it. Move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad