GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So it is Rogalski's fault that Jon Gillies is now playing for Cincinnati in the ECHL?

Mystery solved.
Yes, because that's exactly what I said.:rolleyes:

I honestly don't know how much he is the problem, but when there's a trend of every goalie we have sucking, I think it's fair to ask if a change might help.

I get it, goalies are hard to predict and the truly elite ones almost never move. I don't think it's an easy thing to fix, but Jesus H. Christ this team seems to be cursed. Cory fell apart, Blackwood stinks, Crawford retired before even playing for us, Bernier's body gave up, Vitek/Schmid were fine for a year and then imploded, Daws has had some good games but it doesn't seem like he's going to be the long term answer either, and that's not even counting the litany of jags like Gillies, Hammond, Kahkonen, etc that have played for us in recent years. Markstrom was finally supposed to be the guy, and then he shits the bed in Vitek like fashion tonight and it's like "here we f***ing go again". I'm not throwing in the towel on him this soon, but damn it's frustrating.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Let’s address the elephant in the room.

Markstrom hasn’t been good.
It was a panic move by Fitzgerald but at least he tried to do something. He apparently was trying to get Swayman too. There's still plenty of season left. Our goaltending duo just needs to be average and we will be okay.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
They played great but got f'ed by the hockey gods and refs (that Dillon penalty basically decided the game). Red wings fans smug celebrating when they were absolutely dominated the entire game and just outgoalied and outlucked the win. Run this back 10 times and they lose 9. Gonna be a rude awakening to them.

Markström is exactly what I though he was, closing retirement barely above .900 goalie. Giving up a first was risky, but he's still improvement to what we had, but probably not a solution to our problems. The goalie market was what it was so I don't blame Fitz, at least he did something.

Losing a 3rd game in a row after a good performance and being once again the laughing stock of the mainboard hurts. They played good and still lost, doesn't feel fair.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
When they were sitting comfortably at the top of the standings cuz they had so many extra games played, it was "oh we're 5-2"

now it's "too early to look at standings, standings don't matter" I can't :laugh:

HFboards math. A lot of overlap between this crowd and the “Holtz just needed better linemates” crowd.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
He's been energetic, but the production still isn't there. He's basically a bottom six spark plug. I think the expectation is more
You're right but baby steps from that shit show from last year. I know he's playing with Nico, but his analytics have never looked this good.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Missed most of the game but caught the 3rd period on the radio.

Thought the talent alone would win them some games like tonight. Guess not.

Not saying the season is over or anything but maybe this is just what they are: A team that fights with Ottawa/NYI/Buffalo/Pittsburgh/Washington for that last wild card spot. Kinda shocking to me, but here we are.

It's definitely possible the hype train just wasn't warranted. That said, even a bubble/wild card team is a big improvement.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Would anyone consider what Hughes did at the end of the game a dirty play?

Hate to say it so blatant but, seemed pretty cheap/dirty. Roles reversed and I think Rasmussen might be getting some suspension time, but because Hughes is small and got blown up it's being swept right under the rug.

Over-reaction?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Well, I didn't get to use my favorite gif from Role Models after all. So here it is anyway before this gets locked. :laugh:

monty-python-touch-tips.gif

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Hate to say it so blatant but, seemed pretty cheap/dirty. Roles reversed and I think Rasmussen might be getting some suspension time, but because Hughes is small and got blown up it's being swept right under the rug.

Over-reaction?

What lol

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Over-reaction?

What? :laugh: No. Yeah, roles reversed, Rasmussen probably freight trains Jack because he has 7 inches and 50 pounds on him for crying out loud.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Did you miss the play? The last goal?

What? :laugh: No. Yeah, roles reversed, Rasmussen probably freight trains Jack because he has 7 inches and 50 pounds on him for crying out loud.
So because he's small he's allowed to try, and freight train the other guy? This is where I'm kind of throwing up the hands a smaller guy than Rasmussen might have gotten hurt.

Maybe I'm crazy, and it is ok because the other guy is huge, but just didn't seem right. "To me" with 11 seconds left and already down one. Someone else could have gotten hurt on a play like that, that didn't mean much.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

So because he's small he's allowed to try, and freight train the other guy? This is where I'm kind of throwing up the hands a smaller guy than Rasmussen might have gotten hurt.

Maybe I'm crazy, and it is ok because the other guy is huge, but just didn't seem right. "To me" with 11 seconds left and already down one.

I'll be frank. I have no idea what you expected us Devils fans to respond with after the way that game ended.

No, I don't think it's dirty and I think if you rewatch it, you see Jack is cutting in front of Rasmussen to attempt to block the net. It's a bang-bang play and by the time Jack gets there, Rasmussen is already there to put the puck in and Jack takes the worst of the collision because of size differences.

Pretty much where it ends.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'll be frank. I have no idea what you expected us Devils fans to respond with after the way that game ended.

No, I don't think it's dirty and I think if you rewatch it, you see Jack is cutting in front of Rasmussen to attempt to block the net. It's a bang-bang play and by the time Jack gets there, Rasmussen is already there to put the puck in and Jack takes the worst of the collision because of size differences.

Pretty much where it ends.
TBH, when I see dirty plays, I just wonder how another fan base see's the situation.

I definitively knew before posting everyone here would think it's normal acting like Hughes wasn't trying to hit/hurt the player.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Maybe I'm crazy, and it is ok because the other guy is huge, but just didn't seem right. "To me" with 11 seconds left and already down one. Someone else could have gotten hurt on a play like that, that didn't mean much.

The NHL brings this on themselves. The refs were a clown show as usual. In a world where the NHL actually fairly and consistently called the game by the rules sure. Maybe there is something to it. In this NHL, it was just another play in a game they allowed to get out of hand.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The NHL brings this on themselves. The refs were a clown show as usual. In a world where the NHL actually fairly and consistently called the game by the rules sure. Maybe there is something to it. In this NHL, it was just another play in a game they allowed to get out of hand.
AY, nice post.

Is what it is, kid got frustrated. I think Devils make it in as a 7-8 team. Gotta be tough for you guys early.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
TBH, when I see dirty plays, I just wonder how another fan base see's the situation.

I definitively knew before posting everyone here would think it's normal acting like Hughes wasn't trying to hit/hurt the player.

Fair enough. I don't think this is dirty. Would it look differently if players sizes differed? Most likely. But I certainly don't fault Jack for trying to play until the final buzzer and keep the puck out. Jack gets to the inside of Ramussen and they collide shoulder to chest. Would probably look much different if they were equal size or Jack was bigger, sure.

I view the hit by Fischer on Dillon as a more dangerous play due to the angle and vicinity of the boards. And coincidentally, that entire sequence had a snowball effect on the rest of the game.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Jack doesn't do anything there and lets Rasmussen walk in for an empty net goal, the narrative is he doesn't care and he's a soft dude who'll never been a winner because blah blah blah hockey toffness.

Jack gets blown up by a dude trying to save an empty net chance with 50 pounds on him = can't believe that happened lolz

Hughes has done that his entire career making empty net saves and plays to preserve games at one goal games in the past, I much rather him do that than the latter which is just give up on a play and make a business decision. He got blown up? Who cares. I want him doing the exact thing the next time the situation pertains itself.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
AY, nice post.

Is what it is, kid got frustrated. I think Devils make it in as a 7-8 team. Gotta be tough for you guys early.

It drives me nuts. Every game is like a unique situation where they call penalties based on a myriad of subjective evaluations and personal biases. There is no consistency game to game on calls, and there is no consistency in the dops for supplemental discipline. These guys have no idea what the rules are and often things descend into chaos as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad