GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The PK was so f***ing good up until these last couple of games.

Right, it was a strength. We can't bemoan about calls even if they're bad if the unit itself is good, the PK is gonna get tested over the course of the year. The Larkin goal is whatever, it's a tip from really close. But the Patrick Kane goal..................

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
And there's a valid reason to believe a large reason for that is the goaltending and a large reason to believe Rogalski is a big factor in that.
Normally I don't give a shit who the assistants or goalie coaches are, but when every goalie you have seems to have issues, at some point maybe the goalie coach should go? Or maybe Fitz (or whoever is in charge of that aspect) just really sucks at evaluating goalies?

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don't see how they call roughing there. Dillion waited, and they both dropped the gloves.

The way the refs called it, it made no sense. And it was absurd the wings didn't get the initial call on top of it.

That's easily should have been two each for roughing and 5 for fighting or just two fighting penalties.
Refs call 2 minutes for roughing and a fighting major when they want to give a penalty for starting a fight but don’t want to tag a guy with the misconduct that come with the instigator (basically to keep them in the game). It wasn’t an outrageous call.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Right, it was a strength. We can't bemoan about calls even if they're bad if the unit itself is good. The Larkin goal is whatever, it's a tip from really close. But the Patrick Kane goal..................

I still think we can bitch about the Dillon thing. That was horrific officiating. Miss a boarding call, give Dillon the rough. Then Chairot wails on Kovacevic when Kovacevic doesn't even get his gloves off and Chairot doesn't get an extra penalty. Sure you can be mad at the kill but that is absolutely unacceptable officiating

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Markstrom was under .900 over the last two seasons combined. He was .877 over his last 15 last year. He might just be not very good. This is the one thing doomerism about would be warranted.

Reactions: palek1019

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I will say what I’ve been saying. I think this is a better roster than we had last year, being led by a much better coach. It’s still early and there’s a ton of shit these guys need to unlearn. This game specifically they played fine, shit happens. It’s still early and they have a lot of garbage to unlearn.

The flip side is that we’ve seen this movie before. If this season winds up being yet another sequel, then theres no doubt left that something is rotten in the state of Denmark, and the only place left to look is the guys on the ice who have been here from the start, and the leadership at the top. The former aren’t babies anymore, and the latter are the ones who set the tone/culture. You can’t have this much supposed “talent” and continue to suck but keep blaming the rotating cast of role players and coaches.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Refs call 2 minutes for roughing and a fighting major when they want to give a penalty for starting a fight but don’t want to tag a guy with the misconduct that come with the instigator (basically to keep them in the game). It wasn’t an outrageous call.

Last season we had the same spot with Brendan Smith in Winnipeg and they invented a penalty that they hadn't called on Smith during play. Would be nice for them to find the call but they then had the absolute worst 3rd period of constant makeup calls, just really bad all around.
I will say what I’ve been saying. I think this is a better roster than we had last year, being led by a much better coach. It’s still early and there’s a ton of shit these guys need to unlearn. This game specifically they played fine, shit happens. It’s still early and they have a lot of garbage to unlearn.

The flip side is that we’ve seen this movie before. If this season winds up being yet another sequel, then theres no doubt left that something is rotten in the state of Denmark, and the only place left to look is the guys on the ice who have been here from the start. They aren’t babies anymore.

CTRL-F 'goalie' - no results

Reactions: Hisch13r

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Super annoying how many points we dropped which now has us at 19th in the league by percentage, being 2 games ahead of all the other teams.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Markstrom was under .900 over the last two seasons combined. He was .877 over his last 15 last year. He might just be not very good. This is the one thing doomerism about would be warranted.
Sv% is useless, GSAx is much more indicative of performance. He’s very and up and down throughout his career from season to season, but he was phenomenal last year.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
2019-20: .918
2020-21: .904
2021-22: .922
2022-23: .892
2023-24: .905

He's consistently inconsistent. Figures we may have bought on a down year because that just seems to be our luck with goaltending.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I still think we can bitch about the Dillon thing. That was horrific officiating. Miss a boarding call, give Dillon the rough. Then Chairot wails on Kovacevic when Kovacevic doesn't even get his gloves off and Chairot doesn't get an extra penalty. Sure you can be mad at the kill but that is absolutely unacceptable officiating

That was more so at the Mercer call, I agree the Dillon call was beyond horse shit. Kinda ironic how the Wings scored a nicer goal on the more brutal call but a complete garbage one on the actual good call.

I’m low key angry with Mercer for that last penalty. I can’t even begin to fathom what he was thinking getting his stick up like that.

Yeah, he better have a great game tomorrow. Inexcusable to take that penalty at that point of the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad