GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't see how they call roughing there. Dillion waited, and they both dropped the gloves.

The way the refs called it, it made no sense. And it was absurd the wings didn't get the initial call on top of it.

That's easily should have been two each for roughing and 5 for fighting or just two fighting penalties.

The wrong call was made, but it was still a call. It should have been instigating. But if they just called the first penalty properly we wouldn't be having this discussion. But that is the NHL for you. Every game is that way. Lest we forget we got an absolute phantom call our way that we couldn't take advantage of.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
This game was reminiscent of pretty much every loss during the Covid year and the 2021-22 season.

Some fans used to have a win-o-meter that was supposed to show the percentage of times a team should win based on the statistics from the game. Many of the losses should have been wins according to the win-o-meter.
I don’t care about the win-o-meter. You’ll find tons of posts from me saying xG are not mature enough to measure things on a game by game basis. xG undercount amazing chances and overcount lame chances, as just some of the issues.

But we all watched the game tonight. We can all see the Devils have many more and many higher quality chances. That wasn’t true of many of the games where the Devils won the win-o-meter last year.

Reactions: Devs3cups

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Detroit sucks. Against actual good teams we look slow.
I think that's a function of having to unlearn all the Ruff strategy and tactics. They started to look better tonight connecting passes. With some more time to practice they should start being able to play faster. The only truly slow players are Noesen and Palat and Bastian up front and then Dillon and Dougie in the back. The rest are at least average and some are quite fast.

Reactions: palek1019

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I really don't have an issue with Dillon defending himself there and it was crazy by the refs it wasn't even.

Team needs to learn to stick up for themselves physically.

That Mercer penalty was totally brain dead dumb and he directly deserves some of the blame for this lose. Zero excuse
I do. But I know I have an opposite take than everyone here. They shouldn’t react at all to that stuff. They need to learn to play without emotion. You especially can’t react to that stuff when you don’t have goaltending and as a result can’t afford to go on the PK.

Reactions: Mgd31 and Devs3cups

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Bad calls happen, your PK needs to get a kill there to get into OT. That was a hallmark of last years's Devils not getting points in games they should've gotten something. Hell, this board + myself gave them credit for them doing it v the Caps. Mercer better have a good f***ing game tomorrow + Markstrom better have a good f***ing next game too.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Man, that was quite the egg Markstrom laid out there tonight. I know it’s going to happen over the course of an 82 game season, but that’s a game the team deserved a win in.

You obviously would like some other chances buried so it doesn’t get to this point, but my blame here lies squarely at the feet of the goalie.

They had a response and pushback tonight. At least there’s that. Hopefully they can hold their heads a bit high about their play because they’ve got such a quick chance to turn around tomorrow and Sunday.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
1729823050510.gif

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Did they? I dunno. It never felt comfortable and I didn't really feel like Markstrom was that bad. Last goal was soft as hell, but the game should have been way out of reach by them. Not leading that game by 3-4 at any point is the most inexcusable thing to me and it falls on everyone not named Nico Hischier as far as I'm concerned.
I thought he looked bad on that second goal falling over way too early and that last goal was woof. In contrast Talbot made a number of big saves. To my eyes they dominated the run of play and had crappy luck on top of everything else.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I thought he looked bad on that second goal falling over way too early and that last goal was woof. In contrast Talbot made a number of big saves. To my eyes they dominated the run of play and had crappy luck on top of everything else.

Good teams make their own luck. If they had a track record of playing this way and winning more often than they lose I would be more open to chalking it up as being goalied. Unfortunately this is a trend for this team at this point. Play poorly and lose. Play well and still lose.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Bad calls happen, your PK needs to get a kill there to get into OT. That was a hallmark of last years's Devils not getting points in games they should've gotten something. Hell, this board + myself gave them credit for them doing it v the Caps. Mercer better have a good f***ing game tomorrow + Markstrom better have a good f***ing next game too.

The PK was so f***ing good up until these last couple of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad