GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
What the hell was Jack Hughes doing there at the end when they had the power play and he was skating up ice and started motioning to the bench. It was like he was looking for them to pull the goalie so they could be up 6-4 on the ice. What does he think he is a player coach now too? This guy needs to grow up and show some maturity.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's early enough but it's getting real bad Ruff vibes going at the moment.

In theory I like this team, but at some point that has to translate. Outside of Jack buzzing around and Nico being Nico, we look slow, disorganized and not super dangerous until games are out of reach. Keefe has his work cut out for him.

Oh those vibes are definitely there. I won't even really say I like the team in theory right now. I won't say I dislike them yet but it's certainly inching closer to that direction.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The thing is, I think he has for the most part been fine this year, with the obvious exception of tonight. It just sucks that he was shit the night they finally seemed to start putting it together in front of him. Although they screwed themselves with that stupid Mercer penalty late. Still, you get a save on an unscreened shot the entire f***ing arena and everybody watching saw coming and maybe you at least salvage a point.

He was bad in the Leafs/Caps games too, I'd argue he's only had two good games this year and it was the Buffalo game to start the year and Ottawa. Simply not good enough for a guy you gave up a first to solidify the thing that plagued you in 23-24. Goaltending shouldn't be an issue at all, and 9-10 games in, we're getting the same garbage from last year

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
What the hell was Jack Hughes doing there at the end when they had the power play and he was skating up ice and started motioning to the bench. It was like he was looking for them to pull the goalie so they could be up 6-4 on the ice. What does he think he is a player coach now too? This guy needs to grow up and show some maturity.
I think the original plan was PP1 go out. PP2 then go out and pull goalie. PP1 guys then take the last even strength shifts with the goalie pulled.

There was too much time left in the game for the PP1 guys to play the rest of the game so there should have been a line change attempt going on.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They were the better faster team the entire night. You can see it on the stat sheet. You can see it with your eyes.

I just want them to win. They have been bad for a really long time and I might legit be losing it :laugh: I want to be happy about moral victories but I'm just not anymore. It's not like we can do anything about it if Markstrom is the problem anyway. For better or worse this pretty much is our team for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm not hating on him because he was much better than prior games this season but he was a minus 2. To be fair I agree with this loss being on Markstrom and to some extent give credit to Talbot for making the big saves.
One of those minuses is the empty net goal.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wish someone would ask Fitz why Rogalski is still the goalie coach here.

Keefe was asked about it and talked like he was the one who decided to keep him lol.

Pretty funny, especially when Keefe was shown telling the Toronto goalie coach to ''f*** off'' (LITERALLY!) after he was making some excuse for a goal allowed by one of the Toronto goalies during one of those all access behind the scenes things.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
It's early enough but it's getting real bad Ruff vibes going at the moment.

In theory I like this team, but at some point that has to translate. Outside of Jack buzzing around and Nico being Nico, we look slow, disorganized and not super dangerous until games are out of reach. Keefe has his work cut out for him.

They were the better faster team the entire night. You can see it on the stat sheet. You can see it with your eyes.

Devils dominated the game tonight. The outcome is a total injustice to the reality of this game.

4th line generated, PP generated, other lines had chances galore

Goalie failed. mercer failed. Pk failed. Refs swung the game both ways.

This type of game is why fans think the referring is managed and flawed. If you don't get a boarding call, and then dont defend yourself, you will get boarded the same way next time. They shouldn't be influencing the game in such deliberately dramatic ways.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Easily the most frustrating loss I can remember in recent memory. I’m so pissed.

I have zero tolerance for brain dead, needless penalties…ESPECIALLY THAT LATE IN A GAME!!! I know it won’t happen but I’d bench Mercer’s ass and healthy scratch him tomorrow night to break that meaningless “consecutive games played” thing he has going on.

How do you dominate a team as thoroughly as the Devils did, outshoot the opponent by a 3:1 margin and still lose? That was some absolutely rancid goaltending by Markstrom. We gave up a first round pick for THIS?! I looked at my girlfriend after the Mercer penalty and said, “the goalie isn’t going to make some big saves here” and I was right…even Stevie Wonder could see what was about to happen.

We deserve so much better. This one is going to stink for awhile.

Believe Timo sat for a while after taking the third period penalty when Chiarot was penalized on the Nico breakaway. Unless Keefe was just trying to get Jack Hughes with Nico and Jesper to try and pop a late goal.

Devils ended up with a power play but only because Chiarot went after Kovacevic.

There's a time to be tough and it's not when your team has a power play coming and is down a goal.

Reactions: longislanddevil

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Devils dominated the game tonight. The outcome is a total injustice to the reality of this game.

4th line generated, PP generated, other lines had chances galore

Goalie failed. mercer failed. Pk failed. Refs swung the game both ways.

This type of game is why fans think the referring is managed and flawed. If you don't get a boarding call, and then dont defend yourself, you will get boarded the same way next time.

To be fair, that's a lot of failure for a game they dominated....

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Marsktrom was bad, bad penalties by Dillon and Mercer late in the 3rd, Talbot was very good.

Team overall looked very good tonight I thought. Couldn't find a way to at least get a point and in certain ways hot themselves in the foot.

I really don't have an issue with Dillon defending himself there and it was crazy by the refs it wasn't even.

Team needs to learn to stick up for themselves physically.

That Mercer penalty was totally brain dead dumb and he directly deserves some of the blame for this lose. Zero excuse

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think the original plan was PP1 go out. PP2 then go out and pull goalie. PP1 guys then take the last even strength shifts with the goalie pulled.

There was too much time left in the game for the PP1 guys to play the rest of the game so there should have been a line change attempt going on.

They should've tried to just shoot a muffin in on Talbot to get a stoppage at some point. Jack, Noesen, and Bratt played the last 3 minutes and that could not have been the plan.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Idk how, but dead ass Allen played a better game giving up 8 then Markstrom tonight giving up 4.
I don't know, I thought the goal he allowed to Hedman (was it Hedman?) that made it 6-2 was similar to the game winner in tonight's game.

But still, Tampa is a way better team, Allen faced twice as many shots and the rest of the team was as bad or worse than Allen that night.

I wouldn't say the rest of the team was as bad or worse than Markstrom tonight.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Fitz will get fired after this year if we miss the playoffs. For giving up a first for Markstrom AND not firing Rogalski.

That's a no-brainer and he FAILED at that, which should have been his first move after last season ended.

The day the season ended Rogalski should have been fired.

Now, Fitz (probably) will get fired with him. Whenever that is.
FITZ has a lot of pressure on himself, but I don't think he will get fired for not firing a goalie coach. Keefe made the decision if he wanted to keep some of the existing coaches so he kept the goalie coach. Tonight the Devils lost 1 maybe 2 points because of a bad goal by Markstrom. I have not been impressed with either Markstrom or Allen, but it is early. These goalie stand alone getting themselves going.

Go Devils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad