Your Mt.Rushmore of OVERRATED and Mt.Rushmore of UNDERRATED ... all time

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I know but I mentioned Moore and often people use the Hart record to promote 3 guys and then still have Moore in the top 100.

Heck if that's the case they must have Kuch easily ahead of Moore now one would think.

I think Clarke is probably ranked too high already as his prime was really 5 ish years and his playoff and international resume don't really boost him given his ranking.

Frankly there is probably a strong argument to have Forsberg ahead of Clarke. As even with his injuries his prime extends over a larger amount of games and his playoff/international resume is vastly superior.

Why wouldn't Moore be in the Top 100?

He won two scoring titles. The 2nd one he won with 96 points, the record at that time. Only 16 players in the NHL have multiple Art Ross trophies since WWII. He also led the playoffs in scoring twice. Was on 6 Cup winners. And I would have Kucherov ranked ahead of him.

I would agree, there is an argument for Forsberg over Clarke. But Forsberg's fractured career hurts his case. He only played 5 seasons with over 70 games. Clarke has the leadership, defense and toughness to his advantage. He also has a career plus/minus of 507. Only Robinson, Orr, Gretzky and Bourque are ahead of him.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He is the quietest 1,500 pts nhler, the one you forget to put on those puckdoku type quiz.

Recchi is 15th all-time in scoring.

Of the top 49 scorers, only the one's not eligible yet are not in the Hall of Fame. And all of those guys will get in as soon as they are eligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I guess, but he’s still overrated. I probably saw him play 300 games in Montreal (I watch all the games) and was rarely impressed with him. Good player, played hard, IMO not a special player just good for a long time which to me isn’t HOFa

Tech hi was in the right places at the right time for those Cups.

You’re right he has the numbers - just not a guy anyone ever thinks about or can maybe even remember a single play he made in all that time

Right place right time is seriously disingenuous. You can argue it for the Pens Cup, but Carolina and Boston definitely do not win the Cup those years without Recchi on the team.

I'd argue that Recchi was a key piece of the 91 Pens Cup as well and helped push Mario over the top. Before Recchi joined the team, Lemieux only made the playoffs 1x in 6 seasons in a league with 21 teams and a 16 team playoff. That means they were a bottom 5 team 5 out of 6 years. Additionally, Recchi led the 91 Pens in scoring with 113. And no it wasnt Mario boosted since he only played 26 games that year.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Was he? At which point? Because I thought at least Brind'Amour was the iron man of the dpe or is it something stupid like with Larry Murphy that he missed a game somewhere? Even though they played way more games than anyone else.
Fuzzy memory, maybe he was just on a long streak ?, quick google seem to confirm :

Mark Recchi's current league-high streak of 570 straight games ended Saturday when the Montreal Canadiens' forward was scratched due to pneumonia.

Brind'amour became the league iron man when Reechi missed a game in December 1998 according to the article.

Reactions: Hobnobs

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Underrated

Gaborik-B. Gustafsson-Larmer

McCrimmon-Reinhart

Billy Smith

Overrated

Robitaille-Marleau-R. Smyth

Niedermayer-Rielly

Price

Other than some Leafs fans, who overrates Morgan Rielly?

He's never discussed at all on this board and isn't considered an historically-relevant player. His Norris record isn't anything to write home about. The media doesn't exactly have a love affair with him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Right place right time is seriously disingenuous. You can argue it for the Pens Cup, but Carolina and Boston definitely do not win the Cup those years without Recchi on the team.

I'd argue that Recchi was a key piece of the 91 Pens Cup as well and helped push Mario over the top. Before Recchi joined the team, Lemieux only made the playoffs 1x in 6 seasons in a league with 21 teams and a 16 team playoff. That means they were a bottom 5 team 5 out of 6 years. Additionally, Recchi led the 91 Pens in scoring with 113. And no it wasnt Mario boosted since he only played 26 games that year.

Yeah Recchi led Pitt to the Cup that year, I remember him skating right through the entire Minnesota team and deeking the goalie out to score hat iconic goal

• Haha
Reactions: DitchMarner

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
There's a small but very passionate Linden diehard crew.

I know two people named Linden, being named after the player. I know zero other people named after hockey players.
I mean, it kindof makes sense as a first name.

Compare it with, I don't know... Damphousse. That doesn't make any sense, lol. Imagine a kid being named Damphousse Lapierre or Damphousse Jones.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
No Saku in Quebec before, Koivu led the Art Ross race for a couple of days in 1997...:

Then 1 from time to time, coincidence ? ;) It was a joke in The Boys movie, someone naming there kids Jean Saku Koivu Tremblay or something like that.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 20-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Positions matter.

#1. C (psst thet are #1 at taking the puck or taking the puck off the puck (not a stat?).

#2 G (stop the puck more often than others, ?).

#3 D (F up the puck carrier, and/or the pass, be the bees' knees of rushes).

#4 Coaches (few wingers are worth more than their coaches:

VanIslander

A 20-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Psst...

Mark Recchi was walking uphill and i downhill (from Sahali) when he said hi and i replied "Wa...?" because i did not recognize the guy from my friggin' hometown who had just won the Stanley Cup!!

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
On HF at large, the most overrated guys are:

Fedorov
Forsberg
Pronger
Lindros
Datsyuk
Barkov

Underrated:

Kucherov
Draisaitl

And then for the HOH section specifically, underrated:

Coffey
Jagr
Esposito
Brett Hull

This was quite clear during the top 100 project. Not really sure about HOH doing much overrating though, for the most part people are pretty sensible here and not prone to overrate much. But some do underevaluate offensively focused players for some reason.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

Fedorov
Forsberg
Pronger
Lindros
Datsyuk
Barkov

Underrated:

Kucherov
Draisaitl

And then for the HOH section specifically, underrated:

Coffey
Jagr
Esposito
Brett Hull

This was quite clear during the top 100 project. Not really sure about HOH doing much overrating though, for the most part people are pretty sensible here and not prone to overrate much. But some do underevaluate offensively focused players for some reason.
So basically two way forwards are overrated and purely offensive forwards are underrated.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Agreed.

A healthy Lindros would be be fighting Jagr for the hart, Art Ross and pearson trophy and probably taking a few away from him like in 1994-95
For Lindros to stay healthy, he would need to change his playing style.

Concussions aside, most of his injuries had to do with his playing style

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

Lindros
This forum barely ranked Lindros top 100 and you think he was over-rated?? On most of these kinds of lists he's top 30.
For Lindros to stay healthy, he would need to change his playing style.

Concussions aside, most of his injuries had to do with his playing style
Not really, no. Lindros played the way everyone played in the 1990s -- hit first, ask questions later. Crosby was concussed as often as Lindros and it wasn't because of his playing style. It's because it took the NHL 90 years to figure out that it might be a good idea to actually enforce the rules so that the elite players (the ones fans pay money to see) will actually be in the lineup.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Lindros was injured by his lack of hockey sense and spatial awareness.

He didn't get hurt bumping other guys or rough housing. He got hurt because he didn't develop of pro tendency in his developmental years, took exploitative advantage of his size, tried to bring that exploitative advantage with him to the NHL, and was routinely knocked unconscious for his incompleteness.

iago

Apr 2, 2024
And Crosby (3rd), who missed more games than Lindros during their first 7 seasons...

That's very debatable. I'd say Lindros jumps Thornton, Fedorov, Dionne, Sakic, Yzerman, Clarke, and maybe Crosby and Malkin.
Not even close !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad