OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Firestone said they inquired about LeBreton, got the run around and no commitment from the NCC.
He said publicly they would consider it, but was told privately, there was no chance.
So they went with the property they owned.

If you go back and read the Ottawa Citizen from those early days they thought a stadium filled with drunken men would ruin downtown and desicrate the image of Ottawa as a Capital coty, hockey fans were below the NCC - looking back on it now we understand why people hate politicians when they get described like that

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
If you go back and read the Ottawa Citizen from those early days they thought a stadium filled with drunken men would ruin downtown and desicrate the image of Ottawa as a Capital coty, hockey fans were below the NCC - looking back on it now we understand why people hate politicians when they get described like that
there is a danger in the Federal government giving favour to the city they are in. It comes off as privilege to the elected.

Look at our attitude towards the Provincial government and there seeming favoritism of Toronto!

Look at politicians and their actions and their 'favouring" of their ridings/home towns. Canada's Federal tax center is in Shawinigan. Yes, long time MPP, long time Minister, long time Prime Minister Jean Chretien's home town. He was Minister of Finance!!!

at the time, it would have looked awfully bad to have the Federal government help the Ottawa Senators. The 6 other teams, the 9 CFL teams, The Jays, Raptors, Grizzlies, and any other pro team would have held their hand out.

Things have changed. Money now pours into Pro sports teams in similar fashion to the USA. And so the NCC and Lebreton are less taboo.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The federal and Ontario governments have set aside about $1 billion in public funding for the development of a $2.8 billion EV battery materials manufacturing factory near Kingston, but Umicore, located in Belgium, revealed last week that it is delaying the project due to poor EV sales.For the same reason, Ford said earlier this month that it will now produce conventionally powered super-duty trucks instead of the EVS it announced in 2020, a $1.8 billion retrofit of its Oakville assembly complex, for which the federal and Ontario governments set aside a total of $590 million.That came after Ford had previously declared in April that it would postpone the EVS manufacturing until 2027 rather than the initial 2025 start date.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
there is a danger in the Federal government giving favour to the city they are in. It comes off as privilege to the elected.

Look at our attitude towards the Provincial government and there seeming favoritism of Toronto!

Look at politicians and their actions and their 'favouring" of their ridings/home towns. Canada's Federal tax center is in Shawinigan. Yes, long time MPP, long time Minister, long time Prime Minister Jean Chretien's home town. He was Minister of Finance!!!

at the time, it would have looked awfully bad to have the Federal government help the Ottawa Senators. The 6 other teams, the 9 CFL teams, The Jays, Raptors, Grizzlies, and any other pro team would have held their hand out.

Things have changed. Money now pours into Pro sports teams in similar fashion to the USA. And so the NCC and Lebreton are less taboo

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the land the (Then) Skydome was build on was, and is still owned by the Federal Government….. I seem to recall a “one dollar” deal with Brookfield and Rogers, to lease the land and allow the Skydome to be built.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A cyclist departing Carelton University, decided to ride, on the wrong side of Bronson ave, heading up Bronson towards the canal, and was unfortunately struck and killed …… so it was decided that she, the cyclist was not to blame for her unfortunate and preventable death, it was the intersection configuration in the area she has cycling, that was at fault. So millions were spent studying and then completely reconstructing the intersection in the area.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the land the (Then) Skydome was build on was, and is still owned by the Federal Government….. I seem to recall a “one dollar” deal with Brookfield and Rogers, to lease the land and allow the Skydome to be built.
yes, and Toronto has 58 or more seats. nd a population of some 9 Million in the greater area. they can tell the rest of us to f*** off.
The GTA adds another 20 seats and 2 M in population

The GTA is 75 or more seats and alone can become a significant block in government.

All other cities don't have the same privilege's.. or did not. It has changed. Attitudes have changed and no one will scream as money gets pumped into local sports by any of the 3 levels.

life was different in 1994, The Silent generation ran things. We had WAY BETTER Roads and so on.. They had their priorities right.

------------------------------------------------

after reading your posts for 3 days and have you condemn cyclists, I sat quietly. I am a cyclists.

But you guys are right, we need t get rid of them. Clean the gene pool.

Morons though it was a good idea to go down rocks on bikes. From this morning mountain bike race at the Olympics.

let the motorists do the gene pool clean-up.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
A cyclist departing Carelton University, decided to ride, on the wrong side of Bronson ave, heading up Bronson towards the canal, and was unfortunately struck and killed …… so it was decided that she, the cyclist was not to blame for her unfortunate and preventable death, it was the intersection configuration in the area she has cycling, that was at fault. So millions were spent studying and then completely reconstructing the intersection in the area.
As I recall she was driving the wrong way down the road and was struck by a car trying to take the off ramp to Colonel By. The driver had no time to react and was found not at fault.

"No charges will be laid in the fatal crash that killed cyclist Krista Johnson on Bronson Avenue, police now say, and speed was not deemed a factor in the crash........

The City of Ottawa has begun a safety review of Bronson, which includes the installation of a radar sign to clock vehicle speed."

Even though speed was not the issue they still put a radar sign to clock speed.

You see this all of the time mostly kids driving on the wrong side of the road and even sidewalk. Last Saturday I almost hit a kid when I was trying to make a right turn. I came to the intersection looked right to see any pedestrians where coming and then looked left for on coming traffic as I pulled out for to start my turn a teenager came whipping through the intersection from my right on the sidewalk. He was very lucky and didn't even acknowledge what had almost happened like he was truly oblivious to it all.

Wanna see something funny but even more dumb?

dumb ass.png

and just behind him

Untitlujkhiuhed.png

Went to look at the lanes to refresh my memory of the story in question and on Google maps there is a guy driving the wrong way in the bike lane, the same way Krista Johnson was driving when she was killed. All along the bike path it clearly shows an arrow in the direction you are supposed to travel.

Millions can't fix stupid.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
As I recall she was driving the wrong way down the road and was struck by a car trying to take the off ramp to Colonel By. The driver had no time to react and was found not at fault.

"No charges will be laid in the fatal crash that killed cyclist Krista Johnson on Bronson Avenue, police now say, and speed was not deemed a factor in the crash........

The City of Ottawa has begun a safety review of Bronson, which includes the installation of a radar sign to clock vehicle speed."

Even though speed was not the issue they still put a radar sign to clock speed.

You see this all of the time mostly kids driving on the wrong side of the road and even sidewalk. Last Saturday I almost hit a kid when I was trying to make a right turn. I came to the intersection looked right to see any pedestrians where coming and then looked left for on coming traffic as I pulled out for to start my turn a teenager came whipping through the intersection from my right on the sidewalk. He was very lucky and didn't even acknowledge what had almost happened like he was truly oblivious to it all.

Wanna see something funny but even more dumb?

View attachment 897663

and just behind him

View attachment 897664

Went to look at the lanes to refresh my memory of the story in question and on Google maps there is a guy driving the wrong way in the bike lane, the same way Krista Johnson was driving when she was killed. All along the bike path it clearly shows an arrow in the direction you are supposed to travel.

Millions can't fix stupid.

sounds like bike lanes have taken over lawn chairs at outdoors concerts for the Ottawa crowd to complain about at the summer BBQs.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
sounds like bike lanes have taken over lawn chairs at outdoors concerts for the Ottawa crowd to complain about at the summer BBQs.
Sounds like you don't want to admit the problem are cyclists.

It should be against the law to drive you bike on any road that is 60kmh unless there is a separated bike lane. What is insane that during rush hour someone feels safe diving down Innes road with all of the cars, tow trucks and 18 wheelers.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
by 1921, the world is digging out of WWI and the great Pandemic. Europe still has another World war ahead of it and will recede into right wing governments. All the while Communism is budding in Russia and growing. Africa is still in the 1800's and to date shows little sign of moving forward. As is Asia minor. South America is still being dominated by the Monroe Doctrine and Western Imperialism.

One beast stand alone. One King of the Hill.. North America. The USA and Canada. Untouched by war. Its massive landscape meant the pandemic was less pronounced. The land was large and relatively new and harvestable. Resources were aplenty.

So from 1921 until today, we have been King Kong.. Rulers of the universe. And no difficulty in our lives. No wars on our lands, no shortages, no limitations.

Hello Mr. Ford, Mr. Dodge, and so on. Hello massive "make work" projects in the 1930 and moving outwards. Build roads, highways...

Hello cars, and mobility... Hello taking my car from my front door to my back door.

And so hello to damning anything that gets in that way.. cost of fuel goes up, bomb the Arabs. Conservationists asking for "one less car'... condemn them as radicals.

Cyclist and bike lanes.. Damn, these people interfering with my right to speed and get to where I want to get to, and wanting to arrive before I left.

I mean, it is well within my God given right, earned from 103 years of being King Kong, to put on make up as I drive. To be on my cellphone, to light up a joint, to use bus lanes, to speed, to go through stop signs and lights, to have my dog in my lap..

I mean, how dare anyone put a bike lane on my street. Don't you know, 102 year old King Kong?

Lawn chairs at music festivals is the silly indulgences of the bourgeoise.

Me and my car! that is different, It is religious! You know how Moses came down with the 10 commandments in his hands (allegedly), God gave me the car. .. what was Charlton Hesston's line about guns? "I'll give you my gun when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands".. well my friend, you can take my car from my dead, cold, voting hand. And those damn cycling lanes better disappear with them... I need all the space I can get to weave as I apply my morning make-up.

It has been brought to my attention that mockery is not always recognized on HFboards. So, YES, I am making fun. YES, I am taking a shot at people..

Reactions: maclean and Tuna99

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Haven't been following much here but I will say that people who are pro speed camera are absolutely insufferable and the NCC is a pile of shit that should be abolished for continuing to shut down the parkways so a couple dozen doofuses can bike where the cars go. It's especially f***ing stupid to continue to shut them down when the HIGHWAY that goes through the entire city is closed for a bridge replacement. f*** off to Amsterdam for all of you where you will be free to build a bike lane and a speed camera right up your ass

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Haven't been following much here but I will say that people who are pro speed camera are absolutely insufferable and the NCC is a pile of shit that should be abolished for continuing to shut down the parkways so a couple dozen doofuses can bike where the cars go. It's especially f***ing stupid to continue to shut them down when the HIGHWAY that goes through the entire city is closed for a bridge replacement. f*** off to Amsterdam for all of you
A well-thought out and explained position. Thanks for sharing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Haven't been following much here but I will say that people who are pro speed camera are absolutely insufferable and the NCC is a pile of shit that should be abolished for continuing to shut down the parkways so a couple dozen doofuses can bike where the cars go. It's especially f***ing stupid to continue to shut them down when the HIGHWAY that goes through the entire city is closed for a bridge replacement. f*** off to Amsterdam for all of you
And people against speed cameras are insufferable whinners that think they're more important than everyone else. Speed cameras are a non issue for everyone except people that make them an issue through their own actions.

The only reason I have to dislike speed cameras is the incessant whining they cause from people incapable of slowing down to the posted limit, aside from that they have next to no impact on me whatsoever.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
And people against speed cameras are insufferable whinners that think they're more important than everyone else. Speed cameras are a non issue for everyone except people that make them an issue through their own actions.

The only reason I have to dislike speed cameras is the incessant whining they cause from people incapable of slowing down to the posted limit, aside from that they have next to no impact on me whatsoever.
I think there's reason to dislike speed cameras when they're not properly and clearly posted. If the goal is to be preventative and not punitive, make it clear that this is an area where you will get dinged and drivers will slow right down. When I see a speed camera that's hidden, I automatically assume it's more about the illusion of safety than the application of it. A ticket will add money to the coffers and may act as an after-the-fact deterrent, but in the meantime a driver still sped through an area where the city claims it doesn't want people speeding.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So...put the cameras in plain sight. Stop with the yo yo speed changes all over and be more consistent with speeds in the city, fix the mass transit (hello, LRT) and extend it asap, and everyone take a step back and breathe.

And it wouldn't be a bad idea for the feds to move some of their offices out of the downtown core. Having some government buildings spread out around the city to redistribute traffic a bit might help. The city has more than doubled in population in the last 50 years...and they sure didn't think to make sure there was room for more roads to accommodate it all, so now they'll have to be a bit more creative in their solutions.

It really is too bad this area isn't that good for making a lot of tunnels (the limestone, I guess?). Having a real subway system here would've worked quite well considering the mainly east-west and north-south fingerprints of the city.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018

Curious to see how you feel about people merging well under 100 and/or camping in the left lane on the 417

Last edited:

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
by 1921, the world is digging out of WWI and the great Pandemic. Europe still has another World war ahead of it and will recede into right wing governments. All the while Communism is budding in Russia and growing. Africa is still in the 1800's and to date shows little sign of moving forward. As is Asia minor. South America is still being dominated by the Monroe Doctrine and Western Imperialism.

One beast stand alone. One King of the Hill.. North America. The USA and Canada. Untouched by war. Its massive landscape meant the pandemic was less pronounced. The land was large and relatively new and harvestable. Resources were aplenty.

So from 1921 until today, we have been King Kong.. Rulers of the universe. And no difficulty in our lives. No wars on our lands, no shortages, no limitations.

Hello Mr. Ford, Mr. Dodge, and so on. Hello massive "make work" projects in the 1930 and moving outwards. Build roads, highways...

Hello cars, and mobility... Hello taking my car from my front door to my back door.

And so hello to damning anything that gets in that way.. cost of fuel goes up, bomb the Arabs. Conservationists asking for "one less car'... condemn them as radicals.

Cyclist and bike lanes.. Damn, these people interfering with my right to speed and get to where I want to get to, and wanting to arrive before I left.

I mean, it is well within my God given right, earned from 103 years of being King Kong, to put on make up as I drive. To be on my cellphone, to light up a joint, to use bus lanes, to speed, to go through stop signs and lights, to have my dog in my lap..

I mean, how dare anyone put a bike lane on my street. Don't you know, 102 year old King Kong?

Lawn chairs at music festivals is the silly indulgences of the bourgeoise.

Me and my car! that is different, It is religious! You know how Moses came down with the 10 commandments in his hands (allegedly), God gave me the car. .. what was Charlton Hesston's line about guns? "I'll give you my gun when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands".. well my friend, you can take my car from my dead, cold, voting hand. And those damn cycling lanes better disappear with them... I need all the space I can get to weave as I apply my morning make-up.

It has been brought to my attention that mockery is not always recognized on HFboards. So, YES, I am making fun. YES, I am taking a shot at people..
Ouhh ouhh, do one of your chaptgpt style rants about how it's your God-given right to cycle in the middle of the lane on Colonel By during rush hour despite there being two paths right there next!!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think there's reason to dislike speed cameras when they're not properly and clearly posted. If the goal is to be preventative and not punitive, make it clear that this is an area where you will get dinged and drivers will slow right down. When I see a speed camera that's hidden, I automatically assume it's more about the illusion of safety than the application of it. A ticket will add money to the coffers and may act as an after-the-fact deterrent, but in the meantime a driver still sped through an area where the city claims it doesn't want people speeding.
Proper signage is a requirement for municipal speed cameras under the Ontario highway traffic act.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Curious to see how you feel about people merging well under 100 and/or camping in the left lane on the 417
They suck, because their actions make driving less safe for everyone around them, just like the idiots speeding through school zones then complaining about the photo radar tickets they got.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Proper signage is a requirement for municipal speed cameras under the Ontario highway traffic act.
The law specifies some requirements, true:
(2) A sign that meets the following requirements shall be displayed at or immediately before the location at which the automated speed enforcement system is in use:

1. The sign faces approaching traffic and is displayed on the right side of the highway.

2. The sign is not less than 60 centimetres in width and 75 centimetres in height.

3. The sign bears the markings and has the dimensions as illustrated in the following Figure:
...but it says nothing of context. I've seen signs placed very close to the spot, to the point where a reasonable driver wouldn't have time to interpret it and adjust accordingly. I've seen them facing traffic, but hidden behind trees. The legislatory requirement is good, don't get me wrong, but those are often played to the letter and not necessarily the intent.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
life was different in 1994, The Silent generation ran things. We had WAY BETTER Roads and so on.. They had their priorities right.

Is that the generation raised the generation that pulled the rug up after the and f***ed over all of us?

Yay. They had nice roads 30years ago. Wish they gave a shit about teaching their kids about not screwing over our future.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Is that the generation raised the generation that pulled the rug up after the and f***ed over all of us?

Yay. They had nice roads 30years ago. Wish they gave a shit about teaching their kids about not screwing over our future.
The Silent generation was roughly 1920-1940.
it endured the depression and fought WWII
It endured the pre penicillin, pre-antibiotics and still had TB and a whole host of diseases to survive.

By 1950, they were 10-30 year olds and began giving us science at an incredibly accelerated pace.
By 1960. a man in space
by 1969 a man on the moon

the build roads, cities and culture like no generation before them.

Now born between 1920 and 1940. you had your kids between 1940 and 1970. So if you are implying teh baby Boomers and the front end Generation Xers? Yes.

So they gave us a whole lot of good things and f***ed us over with their kids.

But do try and remember, you are not cloned. You were born. Take a look at your parents and grandparents!!

They were a good lot. Lousy parents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad