Value of: Your goaler to the Avs

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Would that happen to be the same 28 year old goalie who has slightly worse career numbers than our recently claimed 28 year old waiver wire goalie, who is fortunately only signed for this year at $1m?

Meh, Montembeault is legit, I’d absolutely be on the phone with Hughes if he were to be made available later this year. One of the few goalies brought up in this thread that actually seems like a real target. Good recent track record of improving play, enough reps and experience to be brought in as a nailed on 1A while still just entering his prime as a netminder and on a sensible contract.

Reactions: Alienblood

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Meh, Montembeault is legit, I’d absolutely be on the phone with Hughes if he were to be made available later this year. One of the few goalies brought up in this thread that actually seems like a sensible target.

Based on what, exactly? He's played 147 NHL games and has a career SV% of .899 with a GAA of 3.35. Also played 104 AHL games with an overall SV% of .900 and GAA of 3.17.

For all his faults, Kahkonen at least put up a decent AHL season, and had a NHL season where he played 36 games and managed a SV% over 0.910. And he's less than 1/3 the cap hit.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Colorado is clearly missing a goalie, need better D, defensive forwards and havent been able to sign Rantanen longterm yet. Miller, Kakko and Shesty will be needing raises and NYR wont afford them all.

Colorado get:

- Shesterkin 5.667M UFA 2025

- Miller 3.875M RFA 2025

- Kakko 2.4M RFA 2025

NYR get:

- Rantanen 9.25M UFA 2025

- Annunen .8375M RFA 2026 / Georgiev 3.4M UFA 2025 - NYR:s choice.

Who would do it?

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Colorado is clearly missing a goalie, need better D, defensive forwards and havent been able to sign Rantanen longterm yet. Miller, Kakko and Shesty will be needing raises and NYR wont afford them all.

Colorado get:

- Miller 3.875M RFA 2025

- Kakko 2.4M RFA 2025

NYR get:

Who would do it?
And you think Colorado will be able to afford them all?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Colorado get:

- Miller 3.875M RFA 2025

- Kakko 2.4M RFA 2025

NYR get:

Who would do it?

I don't think either team would do it.

That's a huge package for the Rangers to give up for Rantanen and makes the team worse in multiple positions, so the Rangers say no.

And the Avs say no because they can't afford them all either, and probably don't like the idea of paying a goalie $12m per year until he's 37, when the long term evidence shows the majority of them drop off around 33.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Grubauer for Georgiev. Seattle gets out of Grubauer's contract, maybe he bounces back with a team he played for before. At worst, he's gotta be better than Georgiev.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Avs are 0-4. Their top guys are big minus players. Minus 12 combined. Not too sure their problem is goaltending.
Avs are be missing some pretty big key pieces right now: Nuke, Lehky, Drouin, Toews, Landy, and now as of last night Wood. That certainly doesn't help but Georgiev sucked last year and currently has 5.79 GAA .800 SV% and Annunen has a 4.69 GAA .765 SV%. Really can't argue against goaltending being a significant problem.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Seeing the avs struggle this bad with their stacked lineup is just....

Couldn't happen to a nicer fan base.
Ah yes... we are FULLY stacked :

Colton-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Wood-Mittelstadt-Ritchie
Kovalenko-Kelly-O'Connor
Ivan-Steinburg-Kiviranta

Kylington-Makar
Girard-Manson
de Haan-Malinksi

injured/suspended :

Landeskog
Nichushkin
Lehkonen
Drouin
Toews

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lustaf and pockets

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Ah yes... we are FULLY stacked :

Colton-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Wood-Mittelstadt-Ritchie
Kovalenko-Kelly-O'Connor
Ivan-Steinburg-Kiviranta

Kylington-Makar
Girard-Manson
de Haan-Malinksi

injured/suspended :

Landeskog
Nichushkin
Lehkonen
Drouin
Toews

MOD
Don't forget Wood is out now too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lustaf

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
The main thing people dont know about the Avs is that the offense usually comes no matter what. For the defense to be good, we really really depend on Nichushkin and Toews.

Makar is currently tied for 2nd in the league and Mac/Mikko are in the top ten, yet still 0 wins.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca

Colorado get:

- Miller 3.875M RFA 2025

- Kakko 2.4M RFA 2025

NYR get:

Who would do it?
I know this is a goalie thread but something I've floated in several threads is Nichuskin for Kakko + Schneider as a base. I think it makes some sense for both teams even though I'd hate to do it.

I was open to trading Mikko when I thought we could rely on Nichuskin. I don't think it's realistic now, and there's just no way the Avs pay Shesty what he's after. I think they are starting to realize you need to pay at least $5M for a legit starter though

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Montembeault is really good.and someone I wanted the Avs to pursue

What do you think makes him "really good"? Is it the .899 SV% he put up over his 150+ game junior career? The .900 SV% over 100+ games in the AHL? Or the .899 SV% over 147 NHL games?

Or is it just the handful of games behind Team Canada where he looked ok?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What do you think makes him "really good"? Is it the .899 SV% he put up over his 150+ game junior career? The .900 SV% over 100+ games in the AHL? Or the .899 SV% over 147 NHL games?

Or is it just the handful of games behind Team Canada where he looked ok?
It's a combination of things. He's got great size and athleticism. He's just entering his prime and has improved each of the past three seasons as he has taken over more of the Habs workload. And he looks even better to start this year and has a great contract.

Goalie stats are not really great comparables. I mean, Georgiev's aggregated stats the past three years still "look" good. So does a guy like Jarry but as I mentioned when discussing why I don't like him, his second half splits are awful and he seems to do worse the more the pressure amps up. I think Monty looks pretty poised in the Habs net last season even when getting absolutely pounded.

I just like him and his contract and his trajectory.

Reactions: Alienblood

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver

Colorado get:

- Miller 3.875M RFA 2025

- Kakko 2.4M RFA 2025

NYR get:

Who would do it?
Do this, and then in 25-26 off-season/draft trade Miller+Colton or Kakko+Girard for some room

Re-sign shesty at 10 or 11
If your keep Kakko another bridge like Mercer 3x4
If your keep Miller go 4x5

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It's a combination of things. He's got great size and athleticism. He's just entering his prime and has improved each of the past three seasons as he has taken over more of the Habs workload. And he looks even better to start this year and has a great contract.

Goalie stats are not really great comparables. I mean, Georgiev's aggregated stats the past three years still "look" good. So does a guy like Jarry but as I mentioned when discussing why I don't like him, his second half splits are awful and he seems to do worse the more the pressure amps up. I think Monty looks pretty poised in the Habs net last season even when getting absolutely pounded.

I just like him and his contract and his trajectory.

Improving sounds great, but he started at a terrible .891 SV% and improved to a below average .901, then to just below the league average at .903. Does going from being trash to slightly below average qualify as "really good" in your book? Or is it still below average?

As for this year, it's been 3 games, with him looking good in the first two, before he gave up 5 goals in game 3. Not exactly the kind of sample size I think is relevant for a guy who has put up a couple of good games in a row in the past but has struggled with consistency overall. But, if you think 3 games is meaningful, should I point out that Kahkonen had a .923 SV% in 6 games for the Devils last year?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Improving sounds great, but he started at a terrible .891 SV% and improved to a below average .901, then to just below the league average at .903. Does going from being trash to slightly below average qualify as "really good" in your book? Or is it still below average?

As for this year, it's been 3 games, with him looking good in the first two, before he gave up 5 goals in game 3. Not exactly the kind of sample size I think is relevant for a guy who has put up a couple of good games in a row in the past but has struggled with consistency overall. But, if you think 3 games is meaningful, should I point out that Kahkonen had a .923 SV% in 6 games for the Devils last year?
That's fine. I just like him every time I've seen him, I think he's a growth stock. At some point you're gonna have to probably do something and you can poke holes in about every option there's gonna be. I'm not saying mortgage the farm for him (though the Habs will not likely give him up cheaply).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad