GDT: 2024-25 season game 5 LA Kings vs Montreal Canadiens @4:00pm 10/17/24

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
I don’t follow at all. They had 6 grade-A chances all game. That’s a minuscule number for an NHL game these days. They were thoroughly dominated by Buffalo.
Should have edited that to "a large number of quality chances" meaning they were outplaying their opponent but couldn't score....ie "unlucky"

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Should have edited that to "a large number of quality chances" meaning they were outplaying their opponent but couldn't score....ie "unlucky"
I still don’t follow because it was the opposite. Buffalo drastically outplayed the Kings and generated more than 3x the number of grade-A chances but couldn’t score. Buffalo was unlucky/shut down by Kuemper, not the other way around.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
I still don’t follow because it was the opposite. Buffalo drastically outplayed the Kings and generated more than 3x the number of grade-A chances but couldn’t score. Buffalo was unlucky/shut down by Kuemper, not the other way around.
I rather watch a lucky kings team winning and scoring goals on the few chances they get vs an unlucky kings team failing to score while out chancing their opponent.

Cause the end result will probably be the same…maybe make the playoffs. If they do, get bounced by Edmonton.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I rather watch a lucky kings team winning and scoring goals on the few chances they get vs an unlucky kings team failing to score while out chancing their opponent.

Cause the end result will probably be the same…maybe make the playoffs. If they do, get bounced by Edmonton.
Got it. The former is not a sustainable formula for winning in the long run, so they may not even make the playoffs if that’s the standard of play for much of the season.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I think they are getting their December slump out of the way in October, but there is a chance it does last until December too.

There is something to be said to playing the kids, good, bad or indifferently. Calgary is a case study of last year. Most of their kids looked atrocious, but this year they magically have more poise and look like NHLers Sure its a small sample size, but Zary, Posposil, Coronato don't look out of place at all. Jury is still out on Wolf as far as I am concerned. I think he may be a little smallish for the NHL but we shall see.

kingsholygrail

1-1-2 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I think they are getting their December slump out of the way in October, but there is a chance it does last until December too.

There is something to be said to playing the kids, good, bad or indifferently. Calgary is a case study of last year. Most of their kids looked atrocious, but this year they magically have more poise and look like NHLers Sure its a small sample size, but Zary, Posposil, Coronato don't look out of place at all. Jury is still out on Wolf as far as I am concerned. I think he may be a little smallish for the NHL but we shall see.
Don't forget the January crash.

Reactions: fivehole32

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
@KopitarGOAT420 is an optimist. I can respect that. They're a rare breed around here. Message boards tend attract complainers.

It is early in the season. Sports can be unpredictable. It's possible they can turn things around, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Some of this probably is a systemic issue. Watching TMac's early season Kings from last year verse what we're seeing now is a night and day difference. They were so much more structured. They have to find that again, but with a different "System."

Our goaltending and defense look like a train wreck. Difficult to overcome that.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
@KopitarGOAT420 is an optimist. I can respect that. They're a rare breed around here. Message boards tend attract complainers.

It is early in the season. Sports can be unpredictable. It's possible they can turn things around, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Some of this probably is a systemic issue. Watching TMac's early season Kings from last year verse what we're seeing now is a night and day difference. They were so much more structured. They have to find that again, but with a different "System."

One of the reasons they came out so hot last year IMO is that they were on their system and had more continuity than almost anyone

This year is basically the complete opposite of that, huge systemic changes and personnel rotations

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
One of the reasons they came out so hot last year IMO is that they were on their system and had more continuity than almost anyone

This year is basically the complete opposite of that, huge systemic changes and personnel rotations
Yes, basically:

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos

Our goaltending and defense look like a train wreck. Difficult to overcome that.
I remember thinking early last year that it seemed like they had 4 legitimate and effective 2nd lines. TM seemed to be rolling all the lines and they were wearing down opponents... right now none of the lines are clicking and Hilller seems to be running them into a wall.

Similar to T-Mac, Hiller hasn't shown he can make effective adjustments when things stop working. Macfarlane seemed to get them to a better starting point though, if that makes sense.

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Burroughs has been a downgrade from Grundstrom. His one strength is being right handed. But he gets overplayed so his flaws get exposed during critical situations. Basically a net negative based on deployment.

And then you’ve got Anderson and Gavrikov who are fine #4’s but also being overplayed alongside a couple of kids who are supposed to produce. They’re not good enough to be true steady partners for Spence and Clarke. And with Edmunson in the mix you’re left with no logical assignments.

I’ve always said it was a bad choice to put Luc and Rob in charge because they have no track record of managing a winner. They aren’t the worst managers ever, but they have no bonafide results as the guys in charge.

Instead they make decisions based on out dated ideas from when they were players. And they were never leaders of a dynasty. Just great support pieces. Why is anyone surprised that a couple of great players don’t know how to build a winner.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Byfield playing, putting him back at wing probably means he has a minor injury preventing him from winning faceoffs. Glad to see Turcotte moving up to 3rd line center.

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
These pregame shows are getting worse. They’ve seemingly replaced the Stoll and O’Neil segments with clips from the NHL.
Last game was about Matthews, this game is a clip about Ovechkin.

WTF. We’re being treated like basic bitches while AEG cuts media budget in the face of less guaranteed TV dollars. Sad shit. We’re living in the do more with less era while the clowns in charge are still extracting premium dollars at the gate and from our TV bills.

Maybe we see a normal pregame for home games, but I’d be surprised.

Inzane

Mar 6, 2024
I was half jokingly saying yesterday to put the 2 first lines back together if we want to win even 30 games this season. Hiller read my post I guess

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad