Value of: Your goaler to the Avs

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Lyon is cheap and excellent back up, capable playing 40+ games, been very good last couple of seasons

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Some of these proposals are just silly. Like there's no world where the Avs are paying a 1st for an unproven or subpar goalie. And there's no world where they are trading one of their superstars for a goalie either. The Avs will take the Vegas approach and go for medium goaltending with a strong blue line

I'd rather have average goaltending. A goalie who can get distracted talking to ghosts n the middle of the game seems like just asking for trouble... :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Colorado isn’t trading mackinnon.
The kings and leafs say no to those deals also.
Agree Avs NOT trading MacK
Leafs and Kings lean yes

TOR must do something bold, cannot repeat
hi price for hi reward
still have 'nuf firepower w/Matthews +

Kings take a big hit at young pivot but are sufficiently strong at C, and Zib is inconsistent w/Kreider but not a bum and while lower upside to Byfield, helps now;
given Shesty way upgrades their whole squad they likely do this deal

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Agree Avs NOT trading MacK
Leafs and Kings lean yes

TOR must do something bold, cannot repeat
hi price for hi reward
still have 'nuf firepower w/Matthews +

Kings take a big hit at young pivot but are sufficiently strong at C, and Zib is inconsistent w/Kreider but not a bum and while lower upside to Byfield, helps now;
given Shesty way upgrades their whole squad they likely do this deal
Kings aren’t moving their 22 year old future 1 center. Also Anderson is very good dman on a great contract.

Leafs just extended Nylander and have Marner and Tavares going to free agency. Also throwing in another top 6 winger.

Shesterkin is great but he’s getting close to any of these returns. Zib also has a NMC why would he waive?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kings aren’t moving their 22 year old future 1 center. Also Anderson is very good dman on a great contract.

Leafs just extended Nylander and have Marner and Tavares going to free agency. Also throwing in another top 6 winger.

Shesterkin is great but he’s getting close to any of these returns. Zib also has a NMC why would he waive?
I explained da bold multiple times
read

as to rest of it we agree to disagree

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think one situation to keep your eye on is the Penguins. Blomqvist has done pretty good in his two games. If he can keep it up and they look to him over Jarry, either Jarry or Nedeljkovich could come available. Jarry may be a little tougher to work out but is likely the cheaper and more available goalie.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
I see the Wild's goalie situation becoming more trouble than it's worth. Like everybody else in the hockey world not name Bill Guerin. It's already starting with early injuries and call up needs. I am somewhat hopeful Gustavsson is traded well before the TDL because this three goalie jazz cannot be beneficial for anyone involved, especially Wallstedt. Something has to give..

So far Gus is looking to be in good goalie form. Albeit tiny sample size. Any trade offer. even quarters to dollars value are hopefully considered, but then who know what hell Billy G is thinking anyway throughout this.

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
bold: Thank you for making this distinction.
underline: you are entitled to yr opinion, but he is gonna be available as either
-- Rs trade him now
-- sign him and trade him later
we are not gonna let him walk for nothing

Multiple suitors = price being driven UP not down
he obv IS elite
elite or as close as possible to elite will be required

for the record, I see Kings and Leafs as real suitors, not Avs
Leafs have Matthews. Maybe Marner if he signs a sweetheart deal could get a trade done. What does LA have though? No 3 assets they have is even close to 1/3 of what it would take.

This may be insulting to Aves fans and Rangers may not have a need. But Makar could be the right price.

Aves already have a 7 million dollars contract for Toews. And Manson and Girard each on pretty big contracts. What is the use without and elite goaler?

The price seems fair to me but NYRs have Fox already who is arguably even to Makar. Fox more defensive than power player but both are top defense.

• Love
Reactions: missionAvs

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I see the Wild's goalie situation becoming more trouble than it's worth. Like everybody else in the hockey world not name Bill Guerin. It's already starting with early injuries and call up needs. I am somewhat hopeful Gustavsson is traded well before the TDL because this three goalie jazz cannot be beneficial for anyone involved, especially Wallstedt. Something has to give..

So far Gus is looking to be in good goalie form. Albeit tiny sample size. Any trade offer. even quarters to dollars value are hopefully considered, but then who know what hell Billy G is thinking anyway throughout this.
So, next year that would leave the Wild with Wallstedt, an untried NHL goalie, and...?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think one situation to keep your eye on is the Penguins. Blomqvist has done pretty good in his two games. If he can keep it up and they look to him over Jarry, either Jarry or Nedeljkovich could come available. Jarry may be a little tougher to work out but is likely the cheaper and more available goalie.
Jarry is neither palatable from a financial perspective nor a clutch perspective. It's not so much the stats that matter, it's how they are achieved. Jarry's 0.905 SV% over the last two years and 0.911 SV% over the last three years are perfectly good. Georgiyev also has a 0.907 SV% over the last two years which also seems reasonably good. But we know Georgiyev is broken and Jarry's seasonal splits are alarming:

2022-23
October-December: 24 GP, 15 W, 2.78 GAA, 0.917 SV%
January-April: 23 GP, 9 W, 3.04 GAA, 0.899 SV%

2023-24
October-December: 24 GP, 11 W, 2.47 GAA, 0.916 SV%
January-April: 24 GP, 8 W, 3.31 GAA, 0.891 SV%

He's also 3.00 GAA and 0.891 SV% in 8 games when he physically makes it to the playoffs. For the beating Georgiev rightly takes, he's 2.72 GAA and 0.906 SV% in 18 playoff games.

We can't go from a mentally weak goalie with $3.4 million of contract left to a at best, slightly better mentally weak goalie with $21.5 million of contract left. If Jarry had one year left and with limited options - maybe. But the contract is a non-starter for a team as crunched as the Avs.

Nedeljkovic would be a premium backup/1B option but at this point, the Avs have plenty of backup options.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Jarry is neither palatable from a financial perspective nor a clutch perspective. It's not so much the stats that matter, it's how they are achieved. Jarry's 0.905 SV% over the last two years and 0.911 SV% over the last three years are perfectly good. Georgiyev also has a 0.907 SV% over the last two years which also seems reasonably good. But we know Georgiyev is broken and Jarry's seasonal splits are alarming:

2022-23
October-December: 24 GP, 15 W, 2.78 GAA, 0.917 SV%
January-April: 23 GP, 9 W, 3.04 GAA, 0.899 SV%

2023-24
October-December: 24 GP, 11 W, 2.47 GAA, 0.916 SV%
January-April: 24 GP, 8 W, 3.31 GAA, 0.891 SV%

He's also 3.00 GAA and 0.891 SV% in 8 games when he physically makes it to the playoffs. For the beating Georgiev rightly takes, he's 2.72 GAA and 0.906 SV% in 18 playoff games.

We can't go from a mentally weak goalie with $3.4 million of contract left to a at best, slightly better mentally weak goalie with $21.5 million of contract left. If Jarry had one year left and with limited options - maybe. But the contract is a non-starter for a team as crunched as the Avs.

Nedeljkovic would be a premium backup/1B option but at this point, the Avs have plenty of backup options.
While I don't disagree necessarily, I will give Jarry the benefit of the doubt and suggest that his performance would likely be A LOT better on a team with a better defense and defensive structure. I think he can be a good goalie but maybe not reach his full potential in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Some guys worth considering

1 of Vanecek/Blackwood
2. Vejmelka in Utah
3. Husso isn't a terrible goalie
4. Korpisalo isn't a terrible goalie
5. Vladar could probably be pried away
6. Get Varlamov back?

It's not pretty. No guarantee any of them walk in and kill it. But affordable enough and could be had. Avs have a very good team so the goalie they acquire could see a bump in their stats simply by playing on the Avs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Leafs have Matthews. Maybe Marner if he signs a sweetheart deal could get a trade done. What does LA have though? No 3 assets they have is even close to 1/3 of what it would take.

This may be insulting to Aves fans and Rangers may not have a need. But Makar could be the right price.

Aves already have a 7 million dollars contract for Toews. And Manson and Girard each on pretty big contracts. What is the use without and elite goaler?

The price seems fair to me but NYRs have Fox already who is arguably even to Makar. Fox more defensive than power player but both are top defense.
bern has enough folks eyerolling without y'all trying to get in on the action.

Reactions: bernmeister

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
While I don't disagree necessarily, I will give Jarry the benefit of the doubt and suggest that his performance would likely be A LOT better on a team with a better defense and defensive structure. I think he can be a good goalie but maybe not reach his full potential in Pittsburgh.

That’s fair. I just don’t think the Pens would be willing to make it fiscally feasible for the Avs though. A swap with Georgiyev only covers 1 of 4 years and you guys probably don’t want a goaler back on a one way deal anyways.

I think Nedeljkovic is a wait and see what he looks like when he comes back this season. If he plays like he did for most of last season, his very reasonable two-year deal becomes quite attractive, if a contending team thinks he can hold the fort as a starter.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That’s fair. I just don’t think the Pens would be willing to make it fiscally feasible for the Avs though. A swap with Georgiyev only covers 1 of 4 years and you guys probably don’t want a goaler back on a one way deal anyways.

I think Nedeljkovic is a wait and see what he looks like when he comes back this season. If he plays like he did for most of last season, his very reasonable two-year deal becomes quite attractive, if a contending team thinks he can hold the fort as a starter.
Agreed on both counts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad