Your failed Binky(s)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Studnicka

Doesn't even seem that long ago where I viewed Studnicka as Boston's best prospect (by far) and future scoring line center. Even to go as far as debating Krejci's future here in regards to Studnicka and needing room for him moving forward.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if Studnicka ends up in the DEL or Swiss league once he's not qualified next summer.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Doesn't even seem that long ago where I viewed Studnicka as Boston's best prospect (by far) and future scoring line center. Even to go as far as debating Krejci's future here in regards to Studnicka and needing room for him moving forward.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if Studnicka ends up in the DEL or Swiss league once he's not qualified next summer.
He was their best prospect at one point :p. Just saying.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
98 - J Girard - overblown as the next Bourque because of a similar build and coming out of the Q but never able to put it together and then had the accident that wrote things off with a blown out hip basin... Really thought he could be a top, 3 zone D...

00 - S Zinovjev - like a Russian Krejci in many ways that IMO could have had a long and successful career in the NHL if he wanted to put in the effort (acclimation, social, physical, team) but just preferred to take a different path.

05 - P Kalus - the Triple K years in Providence and thought he would be a legit top 6 winger between the ability to play heavy and the shot. Turned out to be a one hit wonder never to be heard of again...

06 - Y Alexandrov - Honorable Mention - had a very strong season at Cherevoports before completely flaming at the B's camp in sprints and conditioning. Debated some a the time with Kirk about having the head for the game (with Kurt reminding he need a heart and some balls as well)... So similar to many of the early D picks of the B's over the years and another bust..

08 - M Sauve - Thought he could be a Sturm type winger with speed to burn. Will never know as after repeated ankle surgeries and other ailments, he had to bail out of the pro game. Still think he could have been a legit player if not for the injuries...

That's about it for the past 3 decades. What I've learned (right or wrong) and there is little point in putting a lot of hope in the yutes as they work thru the system because so much can happen and there is so much that we don't know about as not inside those 4 walls. There are obviously some of the up and coming guys that I believe have that potential but I won't lose sleep over it as there are a million other things to deal with day to day that are more important.
Kid would have been a massive stud. That accident that ruined his hip and nearly killed him was what derailed his career. IMO he doesn't belong on this list any more than poor Normand Leveille.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Denis Reul had the looks and size to be a monster on the blue line
denis-reul-2009-32.jpg

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Kid would have been a massive stud. That accident that ruined his hip and nearly killed him was what derailed his career. IMO he doesn't belong on this list any more than poor Normand Leveille.

Thats probably a fair take although I'd disagree with being a "massive stud". He was showing potential as I recollect but not the 2nd coming of Bourque which was how some pumped his tires at the time (right or wrong - ergo my addition of him to the list). I recall he was back and forth on the bus until the 02-03 season when he finally stuck before MOC blew everything up so my bad as he had at least made it to stay by then.

I do recall the accident and injury, as well as the guts to try and come back which must have been a hellish effort to put in. Hats off to him and he's certainly the "ones that got away" due to injuries and we'll just never know in terms of ceiling I suppose.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I liked Bryan Berard and thought he was going to make a monster comeback even with the eye. Jon Girard, then we all know what happened. I liked Ivan Huml too.

Berard & Girard were a train wreck in their own end but I couldn't help but pull for Berard coming back from that eye injury. He returned his injury settlement to do it IIRC.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
The only definition of binky I’m aware of is the context of a coach and (sometimes maddening - and confusing) safety blanket - I’d love to play but don’t really get what I’m answering

I will not leave without adding something tho - I weirdly remember having high hopes for a kid named Jeff Jillson

Edit: not so weird for me after all:

Last edited:

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Joe Zanussi
Mike Moffat
Kraig Neinhaus
Ray Maluta
Sergei Zholtak
Tom Songin
Karson Kuhlman
Lee Goren
Stanislav Chistov
Milan Jurcina
Was a big Chistov guy

Also thought Senyshen always looked good in his limited Time being called up but always got hurt and never got the chance again

*edit, also Blaine Lacher

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
For the love of god what is a binky

Also, how do you get a bagel to stop running? Put lox in it

I’ll see myself out

ND you have been a member of HFBs since 2010...the Binky phenomenon has been around since the early 2000s maybe longer. Surprised you haven't heard of the Binky.

Last edited:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Anders Bjork.

I really thought they had something with that kid. The first season he was with the team he showed a lot of promise with his hockey sense and skill but then got knocked out by Radko Gudas.. After that he never really found his game here.

I still root for the kid- I really enjoy his game.

And I was obviously thrilled when the Bs got Taylor Hall for just him and a second-round pick.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
ND you have been a member of HFBs since 2010...the Binky phenomenon has been around since the early 2000s maybe longer. Surprised you haven't heard of the Binky.

I have, but only in the sense I mentioned - a coach who invariably goes to one guy/guys in different scenarios, sometimes inexplicably, as their comfort play.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I don't know if we're talking prospects or FA or what.

But my binky will always be Peter Schaefer. From Yellow Grass, Saskatchewan. He played for Brandon of the WHL and I Loved the way he play. Decent in Ottawa (that I remember) and straight **** in Boston.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Thats probably a fair take although I'd disagree with being a "massive stud". He was showing potential as I recollect but not the 2nd coming of Bourque which was how some pumped his tires at the time (right or wrong - ergo my addition of him to the list). I recall he was back and forth on the bus until the 02-03 season when he finally stuck before MOC blew everything up so my bad as he had at least made it to stay by then.

I do recall the accident and injury, as well as the guts to try and come back which must have been a hellish effort to put in. Hats off to him and he's certainly the "ones that got away" due to injuries and we'll just never know in terms of ceiling I suppose.
I honestly can’t remember if he was compared to Bourque by some. If so, I would agree with your take 100%. The number of Ray Bourques in the world are very very few and I certainly never thought of him that way. And you’re right, I was probably guilty of hyperbole myself with “massive stud”. I do remember high hopes for him though and that losing him was a real bummer. You’re right though, he put forth a really gutsy effort to try to come back. Felt bad for the kid.

I may have my times wrong, but if my memory is correct it was just a couple years after we lost Kluzak to knee issues along with Michael Thelven to knee as well, if I recall correctly. Our D was shaping up to be pretty damn solid and we lost several solid pieces with no return. Injury woes hit big then.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The only definition of binky I’m aware of is the context of a coach and (sometimes maddening - and confusing) safety blanket - I’d love to play but don’t really get what I’m answering

I will not leave without adding something tho - I weirdly remember having high hopes for a kid named Jeff Jillson

Edit: not so weird for me after all:

Oh wow that name brings back memories...I remember he was always a stud when I played with him on like nhl 2002 or whatever year he was around.

Reactions: NeelyDan

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I honestly can’t remember if he was compared to Bourque by some. If so, I would agree with your take 100%. The number of Ray Bourques in the world are very very few and I certainly never thought of him that way. And you’re right, I was probably guilty of hyperbole myself with “massive stud”. I do remember high hopes for him though and that losing him was a real bummer. You’re right though, he put forth a really gutsy effort to try to come back. Felt bad for the kid.

I may have my times wrong, but if my memory is correct it was just a couple years after we lost Kluzak to knee issues along with Michael Thelven to knee as well, if I recall correctly. Our D was shaping up to be pretty damn solid and we lost several solid pieces with no return. Injury woes hit big then.
Kluzak was a close family member of one of my previous bosses and I've hears some stories on his journey and dealing with injuries over the years. To think that that jackass D Lewis did the B's in twice, first with Kluzak's knee for the 2nd go, and then as coach under Chia telling the B's with the roster they had to turn the other cheek (despite seeing the AVS/DET animosity and knowing how that can elevate a team).

Reactions: BMC and Number8

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Ooof. Too many to count.

Hannu Toivonen - although if it wasn't for him not panning out we would've seen Thomas start so meh.

Jeremy Lauzon - injuries ruined what looked to be a hard nosed D Man that could pair with McAvoy and he's not been the same player since. Makes me sad, ngl.

Alex Khoklachev - Great forward, but just like Zinoviev he ran to greener, richer pastures of the KHL with two bags of money in each hand. He's been playing really well for Spartak Moscow, but part of wonders if the Bruins would be so royally screwed with center depth if they gave Khoklachev top 9 minutes instead of keeping him in Providence for so many years.

Danton Heinen - I never understood the hate for Heinen when he was here and I still don't. That said, I was part of the Danton Heinen defense squad and promptly left when his shortcomings as a player got exposed later on and with time to reflect. Still like him as a player, but now I am more realistic about what he was with the Bruins and as a player in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Blowfish

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
This is going waaaaay back, but LW Don Tannahill. Drafted by DaBroons in 1969. He could skate like the wind, pass, and shoot. He scored 27 and 30 goals his 2nd and 3rd seasons in the minors, but had a severe knee injury. He was taken by Vancouver in the 1972 Intraleague (i.e., waiver draft) and scored 22 goals in his 1st season in Vancouver. He later had 23 and 25 goal seasons in the WHA.

111 NHL games: 30 and 33 assists. Without that knee injury, he would have a star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad