Your failed Binky(s)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Milan Jurcina - Thought he was going to be Chara-like.

Zach Trotman - Good size, steady game, Chara was mentoring him; what could go wrong?

Mark Stuart - Was waiting for his breakout year but he was consistently bland.

Kyle McLaren / Nick Boynton - I thought both were going to be cornerstones for the blueline.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

Zach Trotman - Good size, steady game, Chara was mentoring him; what could go wrong?

Kyle McLaren / Nick Boynton - I thought both were going to be cornerstones for the blueline.
Boynton had potential but was bad, iirc he had diabetes as well which im assuming didn't help.

Reactions: Blowfish

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
WTF does "binky" even mean? Is it just players you thought would be good but didn't end up being good?
That is the way I took it. I think the op was trying to have fun with the wording.

A binky is a play thing a child chews on instead of sucking their thumb. They’ve been around at least 35 years. They refer to something that a person does not want to give up. They might throw a fit if things go wrong. But I wouldn’t take it literally here. 😀

Reactions: Blowfish and ON3M4N

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Dave Pasin, thought he was going to be a big time goal scorer, 50 goals per for many years.
Gord Cruickshank washed him a lot in college and he was just a pure stud, thought the bruins had a big time steal when they drafted him.

Shayne Stevenson had all kinds of skill/talent but ended up being a head case.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
2 many 2 count, and I only have 10 fingers and 10 toes...
After that, I lost count...

The day Chia drafted Hamill I think the first thing he said is he had a good active stick. Hearing that I almost chucked my lunch and could tell there was something direly wrong in that scouting office. A (if I recall correctly) #7 and the first thing that comes to mind is an active stick.... like WFT he just say????
Did he say ''active schtick'' maybe?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I was all in on Spooner and thought the organization was f***ing him over and Claude was holding him back. Turns out he just sucked. My bad...:laugh:

Dave Pasin, thought he was going to be a big time goal scorer, 50 goals per for many years.
Gord Cruickshank washed him a lot in college and he was just a pure stud, thought the bruins had a big time steal when they drafted him.

Shayne Stevenson had all kinds of skill/talent but ended up being a head case.
I hated Pasin with a passion. He had such a punchable face. Never liked him, never warmed up to the guy and was happy he didn't stick around long.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Don't know if any of these guys qualify as binkies, but guys I thought had more potential than they reached.

Chistov: picked high in the draft, thought he'd be able to show off his skill with another chance on a new team. Didn't work out that way.

Brandon Bochenski: I know some scouts were mad at this trade, but I thought he had some solid sniper talent. Horribly mishandled and guided here, ended up phasing away into obscurity.

Zach Hamill: always rooted for him, but yet another player picked high that didn't pan out. He was seen as a safe pick, but ended up being a pure bust.

Nokalainen (sp?): Thought he was a young version of a guy in the vein of Chris Kelly, but not quite sure why we over played him to lose another draft pick.

Tommy Cross: always held hope he was gonna be something more than he amounted to. Injuries sound like they screwed up his development, but another set of poor judgement of talent and use of assets (to move up)

Colborne: already mentioned, but on paper sounded like he had the potential, but couldn't make it.

Spooner: thought he had the potential to do a lot more if given the opportunity. Traded away and somewhere in Europe shortly after, but had higher hopes for him.

JFK: another promising, Bergeron-lite from the 2nd round, never quite panned out.

I'm sure there are a lot of others.

Guys I'm rooting for, but not quite sure they'll make it, TBD:
Beecher, thought he had a future as a middle 6 C, still have hope he will, but his offensive development has me worried.

Zboril: I know he's a polarizing player around here, and likely will never live up to his draft spot, but I think he still has top 4 upside in another organization that just gives him a place to play. Hard to get NHL playing time when the GM keeps signing/acquiring players above him on the depth chart. Bad enough to not play, too good to waive without worrying about losing him. So which is it?

Oscar Steen/Lauko/tweener forwards in Providence now: book is still out on them, but only a certain number of spots. Have hope for them, but realistically at least one of them is gonna end up on this list.
Brandon Bochenski. I really expected so much more from him. He was on fire when he came here but IIRC, he hit the weight room and overdid it to the point where he ruined his "game."

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Joe Zanussi
Mike Moffat
Kraig Neinhaus
Ray Maluta
Sergei Zholtak
Tom Songin
Karson Kuhlman
Lee Goren
Stanislav Chistov
Milan Jurcina
Moffat had skill and ability, he just couldn't handle the mental aspects of the game. Was a shame too, because he came in out of nowhere and played so good for that playoff run, but could never replicate it because of his anxiety and nerves.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
95E98D82-F609-4342-8D83-CDFFFF9829B7.gif

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

McLaren should've been a Bruin for life. Wore the sweater with pride, even when giving Habs a clothesline from hell. Still mad that MOC lowballed him and traded him for f***ing Jeff Hackett.

I was a Jurcina stan too. I thought he and Chara would be the Slovakian twin towers together.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Brandon Bochenski. I really expected so much more from him. He was on fire when he came here but IIRC, he hit the weight room and overdid it to the point where he ruined his "game."
Agreed, this is what I meant about misguided here.

They wanted him to put some weight on, but not sure any of the trainers put him a plan, just kinda did his own thing, got too big, and didn't really get another chance with better players coming up in the system.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
98 - J Girard - overblown as the next Bourque because of a similar build and coming out of the Q but never able to put it together and then had the accident that wrote things off with a blown out hip basin... Really thought he could be a top, 3 zone D...

00 - S Zinovjev - like a Russian Krejci in many ways that IMO could have had a long and successful career in the NHL if he wanted to put in the effort (acclimation, social, physical, team) but just preferred to take a different path.

05 - P Kalus - the Triple K years in Providence and thought he would be a legit top 6 winger between the ability to play heavy and the shot. Turned out to be a one hit wonder never to be heard of again...

06 - Y Alexandrov - Honorable Mention - had a very strong season at Cherevoports before completely flaming at the B's camp in sprints and conditioning. Debated some a the time with Kirk about having the head for the game (with Kurt reminding he need a heart and some balls as well)... So similar to many of the early D picks of the B's over the years and another bust..

08 - M Sauve - Thought he could be a Sturm type winger with speed to burn. Will never know as after repeated ankle surgeries and other ailments, he had to bail out of the pro game. Still think he could have been a legit player if not for the injuries...

That's about it for the past 3 decades. What I've learned (right or wrong) and there is little point in putting a lot of hope in the yutes as they work thru the system because so much can happen and there is so much that we don't know about as not inside those 4 walls. There are obviously some of the up and coming guys that I believe have that potential but I won't lose sleep over it as there are a million other things to deal with day to day that are more important.
Okay with that my list keeps on growing. To many binkys to track now.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I was all in on Spooner and thought the organization was f***ing him over and Claude was holding him back. Turns out he just sucked. My bad...:laugh:

I hated Pasin with a passion. He had such a punchable face. Never liked him, never warmed up to the guy and was happy he didn't stick around long.
You're right LOL.
dave-pasin-cropped.jpg

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
What is super weird in that GIF is the name to the right. Fossier???? Who is Fossier with a B's tag ??? Literally never heard of that guy in any context..

He didn't exactly fail, but failed to be an impact player here. I've got a Brad Boyes home white hanging in the closet
Guy scored 30 unless I'm mistaken - that's worth something.... Albeit that was during the no D no Fighting D Lewis Era...

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What is super weird in that GIF is the name to the right. Fossier???? Who is Fossier with a B's tag ??? Literally never heard of that guy in any context..

Guy scored 30 unless I'm mistaken - that's worth something.... Albeit that was during the no D no Fighting D Lewis Era...
88103F9D-4E7F-428E-A4D1-8A88A9221FCF.png

Reactions: bb74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad