Value of: Your best offer for these Canuck Top Prospects and Picks.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah, maybe Silovs would have worked better if he was a little younger and fair about the calibre of players for Ruzicka and Pospisil.

I just meant that a goalie who could potentially sit in for a few games or two and continues to develop in the AHL for 2-3 seasons might be worth looking into one we trade Vladar and graduate Wolf. I get your reasoning. Silovs might not be that goalie who is a perfect fit in reserve if the Flames restructure.

Reactions: biturbo19

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Literally in OP's post:

That basically could be defined as "trade to improve now and get better now + later while not sacrificing the future". I have no idea what you're going on about. Perhaps you skimmed and missed that part or misread OP?

Also, Petterssen, Hughes and Demko are not those centre pieces? I'm really not completely following your logic here.
Centerpieces as part of the team, not of a trade.

Are these players with long term contracts that the Canucks are going to get going to be young players too? Hronek trades rarely happen, If your trading prospects then most likely the players available to you are older players.

That might be fine for a few years but going that way with what I stated above about Pettersson seems a bit foolish when I thought the Canuck fans wanted to be perennial contenders for the next decade. If fans don't want that and just want the Canucks to take their shot soon then don't mind me.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Fair. Just going by the OP.

If anything, i think Peeke would've been the more interesting defenceman there. But he's also not really that good and we're at the point where it seems inevitable Vancouver will just sign Ethan Bear to fill that same sort of role without giving up any assets.

Not that a quality Top-4 RHD wouldn't still be enticing. But i don't think Boqvist is really that, at all. And even with dabbling in Hughes+Hronek both on the top PP Unit...i don't see "powerplay defenceman" as any kind of real need. I see that 2D on the top unit thing as more of a wrinkle when Kuzmenko isn't in the lineup. And even then, the second unit PP isn't that important.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Ledge And Dairy

As a Flames fan, Silovs would be worth inquiring about if Wolf graduates. Not sure on his value though. Flames might have some passable guys (some RFA as well) with size, speed for the bottom 6. But not sure we can offer anyone for defense unless you want to nab one of our UFA (ie: Tanev) and extend him.

Not sure what else we'd want assets wise. Flames are also seemingly reshuffling things around. Only difference is that we might find we have excess prospects we can't offer a regular roster spot that are ready right now that would need some opportunity for increased TOI.
If Silovs was waiver exempt for another season then I agree but he's not. He will have to be passed through waivers before Markstrom's current contract ends

Reactions: Figgy44

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Centerpieces as part of the team, not of a trade.

Are these players with long term contracts that the Canucks are going to get going to be young players too? Hronek trades rarely happen, If your trading prospects then most likely the players available to you are older players.

That might be fine for a few years but going that way with what I stated above about Pettersson seems a bit foolish when I thought the Canuck fans wanted to be perennial contenders for the next decade. If fans don't want that and just want the Canucks to take their shot soon then don't mind me.

Again though...the reality is, if the Canucks want to make noise with this Pettersson/Hughes/Demko core...they need to keep Pettersson. First and foremost.

Part of that is making a compelling push for relevance right now. Not just telling Petey to "hold on, wait for Lekkerimaki to arrive" when it's far from a given that he'll even be an NHL caliber player years from now. I think Willander is probably the only truly "untouchable" prospect in the system.

As mentioned, not necessarily just throwing out assets for pure "rentals". But paying a bit of a premium for pieces that can be part of the team going forward is not a bad course to take at all.

Reactions: Jojalu and Figgy44

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Again though...the reality is, if the Canucks want to make noise with this Pettersson/Hughes/Demko core...they need to keep Pettersson. First and foremost.

Part of that is making a compelling push for relevance right now. Not just telling Petey to "hold on, wait for Lekkerimaki to arrive" when it's far from a given that he'll even be an NHL caliber player years from now. I think Willander is probably the only truly "untouchable" prospect in the system.

As mentioned, not necessarily just throwing out assets for pure "rentals". But paying a bit of a premium for pieces that can be part of the team going forward is not a bad course to take at all.
I don't know when contracts are allowed to be signed but if Pettersson signs before the trade deadline then I say go nuts and trade for whoever they want. If he doesn't sign and decides to walk next year then yes it will hurt and it will feel like the trades don't mattter anyways but in reality they do.

Devils went all in for 2012 and did some relative trades to boost their chances in the playoffs and the players did help but Zach Parise still decided to leave. One of the draft picks that we traded away for that playoff push turned into.....Jaccob Slavin.

Its not worth trying to appease someone in the hopes that it will make them stay around longer because in the end they usually leave and you are left with not much money ;eft in your bank account.:)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't know when contracts are allowed to be signed but if Pettersson signs before the trade deadline then I say go nuts and trade for whoever they want. If he doesn't sign and decides to walk next year then yes it will hurt and it will feel like the trades don't mattter anyways but in reality they do.

Devils went all in for 2012 and did some relative trades to boost their chances in the playoffs and the players did help but Zach Parise still decided to leave. One of the draft picks that we traded away for that playoff push turned into.....Jaccob Slavin.

Its not worth trying to appease someone in the hopes that it will make them stay around longer because in the end they usually leave and you are left with not much money ;eft in your bank account.:)

Pettersson is an upcoming RFA. So they could sign a deal today if they reached an agreement. But i don't think that's really the priority or intent. I think he's made it clear that he wants to focus on the season and see how things go...before he revisits the idea of that long-term extension.

It's also a very different situation from Parise. Pettersson is younger and still under team control. He's not going to walk this summer. It's not possible. The looming threat is that he forces a 1-year deal that walks him to UFA for 2025...but that still pushes things down the line no matter what. They're another full year removed from the Parise sort of situation. They also aren't staring down the barrel of a guy who has a specific team in mind to go to like that. He's not going to go "back home" to Minnesota for example.

And at the end of the day...even having Parise walk ended up setting the Devils back...but are they not ultimately in a better situation now anyway? The reality is...if your superstar #1C walks...no amount of middling assets is going to do squat for your team's future. You're back to square one in a rebuild. So it doesn't really hurt to make some reasonable, measured moves compromising middling futures for a shot at making noise in the meantime, with a #1C, #1D, #1G all right in the midst of their prime...plus a pretty solid cadre of supporting actors.

Reactions: Xirik

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
If Vancouver considers themselves able to do well I would consider moving Durzi for a protected first of some kind, but we really are overflowing with picks and prospects and are already having trouble giving them all time, development, and keeping them all, so it's highly unlikely we would trade Durzi for something like that at all, especially considering he's probably been our best D this year, both offensively and defensively, and is young and cost controlled still. That would also be a lot to pay so I don't think a deal would probably work for either side.

Reactions: Summer Rose

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I'd be looking for Durzi to come in as a more defensive presence than offensive. He simply wouldn't get the PP minutes that he does in AZ to produce the points he does there. I think most assume Durzi is an offensive Dman, but he is excellent defensively. He would give us another quality mobile D, which fits Tocchets system very well.
are you confusing him with moser? valimaki? shooter tuitor?

honestly with all due respect, durzi can be an absolute mess from his blueline in, risky and can have klingbergesque moments..

i wouldn't want him on vancouver

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I'd trade a lot for Rasmus Andersson or Noah Dobson.
Honestly those guys are a bit too high end for the balance of the team. When you consider what they'd cost to acquire + how much you'd have to pay them eventually it just can't work.

Plus if we are looking a long term target we kinda need a LD more than RD in the long term.

Brodin would be ideal in my mind.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

honestly with all due respect, durzi can be an absolute mess from his blueline in, risky and can have klingbergesque moments..

Oh good, you have jokes.

Durzi has played what, 150 NHL games, and steadily improved every facet of his game each year. He has absolutely been the best D for the Coyotes this year, on both sides of the puck (Moser has been very good defensively, that would be close) and has been playing nearly 4-5 minutes more than anyone else. Expiring RFA on a cheap deal, mobile D that can play both sides and looks like he is ready to break out. Why on earth would you not want him? He is better than any RD that we have not named Hronek.

People had the exact same complaints with Hronek, but he has adjusted just fine to Tocchets system.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Oh good, you have jokes.

Durzi has played what, 150 NHL games, and steadily improved every facet of his game each year. He has absolutely been the best D for the Coyotes this year, on both sides of the puck (Moser has been very good defensively, that would be close) and has been playing nearly 4-5 minutes more than anyone else. Expiring RFA on a cheap deal, mobile D that can play both sides and looks like he is ready to break out. Why on earth would you not want him? He is better than any RD that we have not named Hronek.

People had the exact same complaints with Hronek, but he has adjusted just fine to Tocchets system.
disagree, i think durzi is a mess and needs a babysitter

• Haha
Reactions: BCNate

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I feel these two are pretty much untouchable as well. We will absolutely need some quality players on ELCs in the next few years. I don't think the Canucks would get a fair value for the potential that they have.

-Jonathan Lekkerimaki- Lighting the lamp as 19 yr old in the SHL. Will star for Sweeden at the WJC next month.

-Hunter Brustewicz- 19 yr old Dman in the OHL. Leads all Dmen in scoring and is currently 2nd overall in OHL scoring. 40 pts in 25 games
Lol those two should not be untouchable. OP is spot on about what should and shouldn’t be untouchable.

Yes, sell all prospects for rentals and have a good playoff run.

Then Pettersson leaves and the cupboard is barren yet again.
barack-obama-what.gif
What a garbage post. Who said we’re going to trade all of our prospects?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

He hasn't been that way at all this season. Moser and Valimaki have for the most part been absolute trainwrecks in their own zone and Durzi, while he isn't the best, has been a hell of a lot better than that.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
This...is an interesting question but probably also one of the most shortsighted that could even be remotely considered by the Canucks organization.

Having only drafted 7 (?) RHD since 2006 suggesting one of the only 2 promising ones they've drafted in almost 20 years is crazy. The Canucks do not have the depth at all to justify shedding prospects or depth let alone the cap space to potentially replace or retain anyone they might get for those prospects as they will most certainly need new contracts in the short term.

The Canucks are in desperate need of building depth through the prospect pool and ensuring they have quality assets coming in via ELC.

Sorry, while trying to gauge the value of assets is never a bad idea, this organization shedding what little they have just to fight their way to the middle after having a few injuries prove they are that thin all over is crazy

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yes, sell all prospects for rentals and have a good playoff run.

Then Pettersson leaves and the cupboard is barren yet again.
barack-obama-what.gif
You mean.... Barron.

Because they'd have Justin Barron for 2 1sts and 2 of their top prospects.

Habs send a 4th cause they're nice 🤣

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad