Value of: Your best offer for these Canuck Top Prospects and Picks.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canuck's cleared out an expiring contract of 4mil to clearly try to improve their roster this year. What would some of their top end prospect and or picks be able to return?

IMO there is only 1 Canuck prospect that is deemed untouchable, Tom Willander.

Everyone else on this list can be moved for the right return.

Please keep in mind, the Canucks are not going 'All-In' this year so some of these high value assets will not traded for rental players but rather for players that are controlled, young and can be part of the core, eg:Hronek

Wants: Defence and Size and Speed for the Bottom 6

Ethan Bear has been rumored to be signing with Van soon but I'd like to think outside the box and explore other options.
Jeff Marek said before that the Canucks were very much into Austin Watson in the -offseason and could be looking to add to the bottom 6 for a player like him.

Top Prospects:

-Jonathan Lekkerimaki- Lighting the lamp as 19 yr old in the SHL. Will star for Sweeden at the WJC next month.

-Hunter Brustewicz- 19 yr old Dman in the OHL. Leads all Dmen in scoring and is currently 2nd overall in OHL scoring. 40 pts in 25 games

- Aatu Raty- Really starting to cook in the AHL- 13 pts in 17 games. Size, Smarts and Shooting. NHL size and talent is obvious, skating has improved.

- Vasily Podkolzin- Hulking Powerforward who took an unfortunate hit in the AHL earlier this season that sidelined him for a couple of weeks. He is back now and looking to continue his strong play in the AHL. 9 pts in 10 games in the AHL

-Arshdeep Bains- Former WHL player of the year, was leading the AHL in scoring before he got hurt 10 days ago. 17 pts in 15 games.

-Elias Pettersson (Dman) Up and Down with SHL and Allsvenskan. 6'3 200lbs 19 yr old Dman. Has a chance to be on Sweden's WJC team next month.

-Arturs Silovs- All World goaltending for Latvia last spring. 22 yrs old top goalie prospect. Currently in the AHL with a 7-2-1 record with a .909 Sv percentage and 2.50 GAA.

- Kiril Kudryavstev- 19 yr old Russian Dman playing in the OHL. top 10 in scoring for OHL Dman.

Picks:

2024 1st, 3rd, 2x 4th etc...
2025 1st, 2nd, etc...

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I feel these two are pretty much untouchable as well. We will absolutely need some quality players on ELCs in the next few years. I don't think the Canucks would get a fair value for the potential that they have.

-Jonathan Lekkerimaki- Lighting the lamp as 19 yr old in the SHL. Will star for Sweeden at the WJC next month.

-Hunter Brustewicz- 19 yr old Dman in the OHL. Leads all Dmen in scoring and is currently 2nd overall in OHL scoring. 40 pts in 25 games

Reactions: notsocommonsense

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I feel these two are pretty much untouchable as well. We will absolutely need some quality players on ELCs in the next few years. I don't think the Canucks would get a fair value for the potential that they have.

Lekki and Hunter wouldnt be moved for rentals thats for sure but if I were the Canucks id move them for someone like Dobson if he was ever made available.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Congrats to the OP for not having every good prospect and pick "off limits". The Flames have a variety of assets they are likely to sell off:

Tanev, Hanifin, Zadorov, Lindholm, Vladar, and potentially Mangiapane, Markstrom, and Dube.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Lekki and Hunter wouldnt be moved for rentals thats for sure but if I were the Canucks id move them for someone like Dobson if he was ever made available.
Fair point. There are a very small number of younger RD with a few years of team control left that I would move those guys for as well.

Not sure what it would take, but Durzi would be a guy that I'd push real hard for.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Fair point. There are a very small number of younger RD with a few years of team control left that I would move those guys for as well.

Not sure what it would take, but Durzi would be a guy that I'd push real hard for.
Durzi’s skill set becomes more of a luxury than a need with both Hughes and Hronek on the team

Reactions: notsocommonsense

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Durzi’s skill set becomes more of a luxury than a need with both Hughes and Hronek on the team
I'd be looking for Durzi to come in as a more defensive presence than offensive. He simply wouldn't get the PP minutes that he does in AZ to produce the points he does there. I think most assume Durzi is an offensive Dman, but he is excellent defensively. He would give us another quality mobile D, which fits Tocchets system very well.

• Haha
Reactions: andora

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

That doesn't even start the conversations for someone like Dobson though. Lekkerimaki/Brew are like the 2nd or 3rd best piece in a deal to get a player of Dobson's caliber.

Think what Hronek cost. As an older, less prolific RHD. A solid mid 1st + very high 2nd.

I just don't think the Canucks have the "centerpiece" to even get the ball rolling on any Dobson conversation.

I'd be looking for Durzi to come in as a more defensive presence than offensive. He simply wouldn't get the PP minutes that he does in AZ to produce the points he does there. I think most assume Durzi is an offensive Dman, but he is excellent defensively. He would give us another quality mobile D, which fits Tocchets system very well.

Durzi is really not that excellent defensively though. He's an offensive-oriented defenceman. Not a pure offensive guy maybe, but definitely more toward the "swashbuckler" end of the scale. I just don't really see the fit.

I also don't really see why Arizona would move him. Seems like they've made a decision to stop fiddling around and resetting constantly with picks. Try to actually keep some of their players and start building something. Durzi seems likely to be part of that.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Canuck's cleared out an expiring contract of 4mil to clearly try to improve their roster this year. What would some of their top end prospect and or picks be able to return?

Please keep in mind, the Canucks are not going 'All-In' this year so some of these high value assets will not traded for rental players but rather for players that are controlled, young and can be part of the core, eg:Hronek

Ethan Bear has been rumored to be signing with Van soon but I'd like to think outside the box and explore other options.
Jeff Marek said before that the Canucks were very much into Austin Watson in the -offseason and could be looking to add to the bottom 6 for a player like him.

Top Prospects:

- Aatu Raty- Really starting to cook in the AHL- 13 pts in 17 games. Size, Smarts and Shooting. NHL size and talent is obvious, skating has improved.

- Vasily Podkolzin- Hulking Powerforward who took an unfortunate hit in the AHL earlier this season that sidelined him for a couple of weeks. He is back now and looking to continue his strong play in the AHL. 9 pts in 10 games in the AHL

-Arshdeep Bains- Former WHL player of the year, was leading the AHL in scoring before he got hurt 10 days ago. 17 pts in 15 games.

-Elias Pettersson (Dman) Up and Down with SHL and Allsvenskan. 6'3 200lbs 19 yr old Dman. Has a chance to be on Sweden's WJC team next month.

-Arturs Silovs- All World goaltending for Latvia last spring. 22 yrs old top goalie prospect. Currently in the AHL with a 7-2-1 record with a .909 Sv percentage and 2.50 GAA.

- Kiril Kudryavstev- 19 yr old Russian Dman playing in the OHL. top 10 in scoring for OHL Dman.

Picks:

2025 1st, 2nd, etc...
Yah, let's destroy our depth to shoot for the moon before we're ready, this is a great idea........

Neither gets you close to Dobson, nor does adding our 1st rounder. You need to stop making proposals on here or at least do some research.

Reactions: jd22 and Xirik

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
That doesn't even start the conversations for someone like Dobson though. Lekkerimaki/Brew are like the 2nd or 3rd best piece in a deal to get a player of Dobson's caliber.

Think what Hronek cost. As an older, less prolific RHD. A solid mid 1st + very high 2nd.

I just don't think the Canucks have the "centerpiece" to even get the ball rolling on any Dobson conversation.

Durzi is really not that excellent defensively though. He's an offensive-oriented defenceman. Not a pure offensive guy maybe, but definitely more toward the "swashbuckler" end of the scale. I just don't really see the fit.

I also don't really see why Arizona would move him. Seems like they've made a decision to stop fiddling around and resetting constantly with picks. Try to actually keep some of their players and start building something. Durzi seems likely to be part of that.
I agree that AZ should hang onto Durzi. I think he would be a great fit for us, but agree to disagree. I think he would be a solid add to our 2nd pairing.

No way the Islanders would move Dobson. Canucks offer would likely need to be Wallinder, 1st, and another +. He is not a guy you deal though, that deal is very unlikely.

Last edited:

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
As a Flames fan, Silovs would be worth inquiring about if Wolf graduates. Not sure on his value though. Flames might have some passable guys (some RFA as well) with size, speed for the bottom 6. But not sure we can offer anyone for defense unless you want to nab one of our UFA (ie: Tanev) and extend him.

Not sure what else we'd want assets wise. Flames are also seemingly reshuffling things around. Only difference is that we might find we have excess prospects we can't offer a regular roster spot that are ready right now that would need some opportunity for increased TOI.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As a Flames fan, Silovs would be worth inquiring about if Wolf graduates. Not sure on his value though. Flames might have some passable guys (some RFA as well) with size, speed for the bottom 6. But not sure we can offer anyone for defense unless you want to nab one of our UFA (ie: Tanev) and extend him.

Not sure what else we'd want assets wise. Flames are also seemingly reshuffling things around. Only difference is that we might find we have excess prospects we can't offer a regular roster spot that are ready right now that would need some opportunity for increased TOI.

I'm not sure i see the fit with Silovs and Calgary. Like you suggested, they've already got their "future" with Wolf.

Silovs is likely pretty close to "graduating" as well. Strong likelihood that's as early as next season. So from a Calgary standpoint, i don't see what he does for them. Even if they managed to move Markstrom...there's no way they'd roll a Wolf-Silovs tandem. That'd be deeply unserious with two rookie netminders.

Just seems like a bad fit, and low priority add for the Flames.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
I'm not sure i see the fit with Silovs and Calgary. Like you suggested, they've already got their "future" with Wolf.

Silovs is likely pretty close to "graduating" as well. Strong likelihood that's as early as next season. So from a Calgary standpoint, i don't see what he does for them. Even if they managed to move Markstrom...there's no way they'd roll a Wolf-Silovs tandem. That'd be deeply unserious with two rookie netminders.

Just seems like a bad fit, and low priority add for the Flames.

One of Silovs or Wolf would develop slowly and then when Markstrom's contract expires in 2 seasons (after this one), they'd be the tandem with one guy ahead by the other with 2 seasons of NHL back up experience. I think Wolf is still waiver exempt next season. I assumed Silovs would be too due to age and GP, but maybe I'm wrong. Assumption is Wolf > Silovs, so Silovs would own the Wranglers net until it's time for him to be full time NHL backup.

Players that could be extra/shake free could be pieces like Ruzicka, Pospisil etc. which the Canucks might be interested in and depends on who we get in the returns for the UFA we are planning on trading. I'm not certain who is available, just saying that depending on the situation, we might have extra pieces that would meet the criteria in the OP that Canucks may have interest in.

Honestly though, I'd want to steal Ian Clark more than any other roster, prospect or futures asset from the Canucks.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Yes, sell all prospects for rentals and have a good playoff run.

Then Pettersson leaves and the cupboard is barren yet again.
barack-obama-what.gif

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014

barack-obama-what.gif

? I understood OP as being like the "Baertschi for 2nd, Hunter, Shinkaruk for Granlund, picks for Hronek" type deals of the past. OP specifically says no rentals. Basically I took it to mean long term pieces or pieces accelerated in development vs draft picks.

Flames won the Baertschi one due to injuries, but it's not guaranteed that the Canucks would have drafted someone like Andersson or Dunn with their 2nd. In fact, Flames fans were pissed it wasn't Kylington (who we drafted later in the 2nd by trading up).

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
love Matthew Robertson's upside | Alberta kid, was WHL All-Star
NYR have 2 recent 1st-round F's on LTIR,
so might swap him for Podkolzin, if Canucks seeking near-ready LD
same age, need for need

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
? I understood OP as being like the "Baertschi for 2nd, Hunter, Shinkaruk for Granlund, picks for Hronek" type deals of the past. OP specifically says no rentals. Basically I took it to mean long term pieces or pieces accelerated in development vs draft picks.

Flames won the Baertschi one due to injuries, but it's not guaranteed that the Canucks would have drafted someone like Andersson or Dunn with their 2nd. In fact, Flames fans were pissed it wasn't Kylington (who we drafted later in the 2nd by trading up).
Still isn't a good idea to do any "trade to win now" or "Get better now while sacrificing the future" scheme move until you have your star player that is the centerpiece of the team under contract long-term.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Still isn't a good idea to do any "trade to win now" or "Get better now while sacrificing the future" scheme move until you have your star player that is the centerpiece of the team under contract long-term.

Literally in OP's post:

That basically could be defined as "trade to improve now and get better now + later while not sacrificing the future". I have no idea what you're going on about. Perhaps you skimmed and missed that part or misread OP?

Also, Petterssen, Hughes and Demko are not those centre pieces? I'm really not completely following your logic here.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Top Prospects:

Picks:

2025 1st, 2nd, etc...

2025 2nd for Boqvist?

Not a fan of either team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
One of Silovs or Wolf would develop slowly and then when Markstrom's contract expires in 2 seasons (after this one), they'd be the tandem with one guy ahead by the other with 2 seasons of NHL back up experience. I think Wolf is still waiver exempt next season. I assumed Silovs would be too due to age and GP, but maybe I'm wrong. Assumption is Wolf > Silovs, so Silovs would own the Wranglers net until it's time for him to be full time NHL backup.

Players that could be extra/shake free could be pieces like Ruzicka, Pospisil etc. which the Canucks might be interested in and depends on who we get in the returns for the UFA we are planning on trading. I'm not certain who is available, just saying that depending on the situation, we might have extra pieces that would meet the criteria in the OP that Canucks may have interest in.

Honestly though, I'd want to steal Ian Clark more than any other roster, prospect or futures asset from the Canucks.

I just don't think there's really time for either to "develop slowly". They've both likely only got one more season of waivers exemption. At which point you end up with a logjam in 2025...Markstrom still around and needing to somehow get Wolf and Silovs onto the roster as well. Where even if you move Markstrom for his last year, you've still got that basically rookie tandem that doesn't make a lot of sense. The timeline just doesn't make sense to me. :dunno:

Pospisil and Ruzicka might be of interest to the Canucks, but not necessarily at the cost of Silovs. He's going to be an important part of the team going forward. As a cheap backup with upside to spell Demko and keep him fresh and healthy. Not sure either of those forwards really moves the needle a ton right now. I think they'd rather swing for something a bit more impactful first. If they strike out there, maybe it's something to circle back to. But more likely just for a pick or middling forward prospect.

As for Ian Clark...yeah. He's almost like a cheat code for churning out goaltenders. It's certainly handy to have.

barack-obama-what.gif

Realistically though...if Pettersson walks, the Canucks are f***ed no matter what. Most of these guys in the system aren't going to make a shred of difference if their best player walks. So the idea is...make some noise, even if it costs some of those mediocre futures. Convince Pettersson that this is a team that is headed in the right direction, so he stays.

2025 2nd for Boqvist?

Not a fan of either team.

Last thing the Canucks need is a PP specialist defenceman. No thanks. Certainly not at that price.

Reactions: Figgy44

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I just don't think there's really time for either to "develop slowly". They've both likely only got one more season of waivers exemption. At which point you end up with a logjam in 2025...Markstrom still around and needing to somehow get Wolf and Silovs onto the roster as well. Where even if you move Markstrom for his last year, you've still got that basically rookie tandem that doesn't make a lot of sense. The timeline just doesn't make sense to me. :dunno:

Pospisil and Ruzicka might be of interest to the Canucks, but not necessarily at the cost of Silovs. He's going to be an important part of the team going forward. As a cheap backup with upside to spell Demko and keep him fresh and healthy. Not sure either of those forwards really moves the needle a ton right now. I think they'd rather swing for something a bit more impactful first. If they strike out there, maybe it's something to circle back to. But more likely just for a pick or middling forward prospect.

As for Ian Clark...yeah. He's almost like a cheat code for churning out goaltenders. It's certainly handy to have.

Realistically though...if Pettersson walks, the Canucks are f***ed no matter what. Most of these guys in the system aren't going to make a shred of difference if their best player walks. So the idea is...make some noise, even if it costs some of those mediocre futures. Convince Pettersson that this is a team that is headed in the right direction, so he stays.

Last thing the Canucks need is a PP specialist defenceman. No thanks. Certainly not at that price.

Fair. Just going by the OP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad