Value of: Young Anaheim D (Theodore, Manson, Montour, Larsson)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'm not an Anaheim fan, but I don't expect you'll like the answer. With Anaheim's budget / current and future cap issues, young players on ELC's are going to hold high value. Add to that the very likely loss of Fowler, and likely losing Despres to expansion, I'd say the young defenders you listed would take quite an offer to get them - especially since three of them are expansion draft exempt, and Anaheim will need at least a couple of them to really turn out to fill out their defense after Lindholm and Vantanen.

Add what I said above to the fact that Anaheim needs really high end young, affordable forward talent...well...you should be able to discern the likely answer, even though I have no doubt some TO fans will think that suggestion is ridiculous.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
For our top defensive prospects? We'd want one of Toronto's top forward prospects. As said above, Manson would be the exception. Although he still wouldn't come cheap.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
some

A lot. Manson is probably the only one that wouldn't require a massive overpayment but he'd still cost a lot.
some will have to go. especially for offensive help while getz and perry and still youngish and they can take a run at the cup.

My perspective is Theo is untouchable. he is the full monty from what i has seen/read.

Vatanan signed 5 years is awesome as well doubt he moves.

Lindholm is a stud probably the best of the bunch, Manson is dirt cheap does his job and is a great partner to lindholm. not sure why ANA would want to break that up.

depres young good but has the concussions etc. he likely be moved.

Larsson still very raw. why move him now when you wouldn't get full value or know true potential.

that leaves montour. very good however not Nhl proven. not likely to be this year with ANA right side filled and them still paying stoner and Bieksa. Very high potential. for my money besides depres, this is a guy that will be traded to help their offense. Not because he's not good but they are a budget team, and theodore is the better defender and can play both sides.

Last edited:

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
some will have to go. especially for offensive help while getz and perry and still youngish and they can take a run at the cup.

My perspective is Theo is untouchable. he is the full monty from what i has seen/read.

Vatanan signed 5 years is awesome as well doubt he moves.

Lindholm is a stud probably the est of the bunch, Manson is dirt cheap does his job and is a great partner to lindholm. not sure why ANA would want to break that up.

depres young good but has the concussions etc. he likely be moved.

Larsson still very raw. why move him now when you wouldn't get full value or know true potential.

that leaves montour. very good however not Nhl proven. not likely to be this year with ANA right side filled and them still paying stoner and Bieksa. Very high potential. for my money besides depres, this is a guy that will be traded to help their offense. Not because he's not good but they are a budget team, and theodore is the better defender and can play both sides.

I don't see Montour being traded until we see how all the dominoes fall with expansion, or BM gets great value. Right handed offensively explosive puck moving defensemen is the current fad of the market.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
agreed

I don't see Montour being traded until we see how all the dominoes fall with expansion, or BM gets great value. Right handed offensively explosive puck moving defensemen is the current fad of the market.

i just can't see them moving theodore over him.. top 4 D get the most ice... i see ANA with Lindhom manson
theodore Vats for a long long time.
I think montour brings back a good offensive impact player on a sweet contract as well.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
hmm

Not that interested in trading them especially with what Toronto would be willing to trade for them.

it would have to be JVR for montour stoner and a 2nd that becomes a 1st is ANA wins the cup. or 2nd round of playoffs, something like that ( something neither team likes)

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
it would have to be JVR for montour stoner and a 2nd that becomes a 1st is ANA wins the cup. or 2nd round of playoffs, something like that

I don't see Toronto wanting to trade JVR for something like that. They would want a guaranteed 1st round pick and a good prospect for JVR at minimum without any cap dumps coming their way.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
me neither

I don't see Toronto wanting to trade JVR for something like that. They would want a guaranteed 1st round pick and a good prospect for JVR at minimum without any cap dumps coming their way.

i also doubt it but im assuming thats the type of deal that it would take

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Expansion draft

The Las Vegas draft is going to affect the value of some Dman. Not now but next June.
Most teams will protect 7 forwards, 3 Dmen.
Some will protect 4 forwards, 4 Dmen.

I believe the Leafs will be able to protect 5 Dmen and only 3 forwards.

Leafs would protect (as of now) Gardiner, Rielly, I would say Carrick and Marincin. Any reasonable trade they can make to upgrade their Dmen would be a bonus.
Look at the Islanders....Leddy, Boychuk (NMC) and either Poluk or Harmonic. I would suspect Harmonic would be available.
Similar to the Ducks, I think the Leafs might be a position to upgrade their defence

Leafs 3 forwards protected.....JVR, Kadri, Brown. Leaves Komarov, Martin, Bozak, Leivo, Rychel exposed.

Many young NHL Leafs, Zaitsev, Nylander, Soshinov, Hyman, Johnson and of course Matthews, Marner do not have to be protected

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm not an Anaheim fan, but I don't expect you'll like the answer. With Anaheim's budget / current and future cap issues, young players on ELC's are going to hold high value. Add to that the very likely loss of Fowler, and likely losing Despres to expansion, I'd say the young defenders you listed would take quite an offer to get them - especially since three of them are expansion draft exempt, and Anaheim will need at least a couple of them to really turn out to fill out their defense after Lindholm and Vantanen.

Add what I said above to the fact that Anaheim needs really high end young, affordable forward talent...well...you should be able to discern the likely answer, even though I have no doubt some TO fans will think that suggestion is ridiculous.

This.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
OT but its crazy to think that in the last few years that Nashville has lost Hamhuis, Suter, Jones and Weber.
Talk about a defenseman factory...

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
OT but its crazy to think that in the last few years that Nashville has lost Hamhuis, Suter, Jones and Weber.
Talk about a defenseman factory...

Honestly

They still are left with Subban, Josi, Ekholm, Ellis in their top 4 & Sam Girard, Dante Fabbro & Frederic Allard highlighting their prospect pool defensively & if I'm not mistaken Dougherty. Anaheim & Nashville's D & prospect pool back there amaze me.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
don't

Honestly

They still are left with Subban, Josi, Ekholm, Ellis in their top 4 & Sam Girard, Dante Fabbro & Frederic Allard highlighting their prospect pool defensively & if I'm not mistaken Dougherty. Anaheim & Nashville's D & prospect pool back there amaze me.

don't forget about klein. he is still one of NYR's better defenders

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Agreed with MyMerlinCat's assessment.

We have a surplus of defensive prospects. The only thing that makes sense in moving them is moving them to acquire similar potential forward prospects or young established forwards.

Personally I don't want to move any of them until they're more proven but that would be the price.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
What would Anaheim fans want from Toronto for each of these guys?

Who is the cheapest to acquire?

The cheapest to acquire would likely be Manson. The easiest to acquire, in my opinion, would be Montour. Manson fills a need, and though he's been inconsistent the team really isn't in a good position to move him at this point. Montour would be more expensive, but Anaheim would probably be willing to move him more easily than Manson, for the right deal. Don't make the mistake of thinking that Montour would be easy to acquire, though, or cheap.

Theodore and Larsson aren't available. Not at this point in time. I wouldn't call them outright untouchable, because that suggests a level of worth that I don't think they have earned just yet, but they are unavailable.

Some of this, or a lot of this, depends on what Murray ends up doing with his current blue line. If, for example, Murray can tweak things to keep Fowler, you might see one of those last two become available. If the team heads into the season and Vatanen is disappointing, you might see Montour and/or Theodore become even harder to acquire. There is a lot of potential variation there, but the bottom line is simple: It won't be cheap, and you'll need to convince the Ducks to move one of those young D.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
As said above, i doubt they are moved nless a cap dump is involved in the trade as well.

Id do prospect + stoner for some wing help. Maybe a struggling guy on a cap friendlycontract.

Honestly we need someone to sign a youngster, pay him in bonuses, then trade for him after the bonuses are paid out so we can eat the actual cap space, but not pay him the money.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The Las Vegas draft is going to affect the value of some Dman. Not now but next June.
Most teams will protect 7 forwards, 3 Dmen.
Some will protect 4 forwards, 4 Dmen.

I believe the Leafs will be able to protect 5 Dmen and only 3 forwards.

Leafs would protect (as of now) Gardiner, Rielly, I would say Carrick and Marincin. Any reasonable trade they can make to upgrade their Dmen would be a bonus.
Look at the Islanders....Leddy, Boychuk (NMC) and either Poluk or Harmonic. I would suspect Harmonic would be available.
Similar to the Ducks, I think the Leafs might be a position to upgrade their defence

Leafs 3 forwards protected.....JVR, Kadri, Brown. Leaves Komarov, Martin, Bozak, Leivo, Rychel exposed.

Many young NHL Leafs, Zaitsev, Nylander, Soshinov, Hyman, Johnson and of course Matthews, Marner do not have to be protected

leafs will most likely go the 7:3:1 route.

If vegas wants to gamble on a guy like Marincin with the plethora of D talent available, so be it

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
it would have to be JVR for montour stoner and a 2nd that becomes a 1st is ANA wins the cup. or 2nd round of playoffs, something like that ( something neither team likes)

leafs counter with Kapanen, Lupul, and Conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st if they win the cup for Cam Fowler

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Been discussed before. Anaheim fans want the moon. Be ready to offer up Nylander or Marner

What do you expect exactly? We'll take your marginally valuable assets for our premium defensive prospects? The switch out for our defensive future needs to be a comparable boost to our offense now or for the future. Theodore and Montour are premier assets. Larsson has the upside to be a great top 4 guy. Manson is probably the most affordable. But he wouldn't be cheap either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad