Value of: Yamamoto + 2022 First

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Mid\late 1st + a player\prospect like Yama is generally the going price at the deadline for highest quality pending UFAs. Goalies also hardly ever fetch a 1st + and Oilers have no desperation to add one.
To add a bottom 4 D or backup goalie a 3rd round pick is sufficient.

Sure, that could get you a TDL rental in ~4 months (depending on Yamamoto's season). But, as of today, with only a handful of games played this season, I don't see many teams being interested in a mid/late 1st + Yamamoto for any good pieces. Who exactly is going to give up a top 6 forward for that today? Or even a competent 3C?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sure, that could get you a TDL rental in ~4 months (depending on Yamamoto's season). But, as of today, with only a handful of games played this season, I don't see many teams being interested in a mid/late 1st + Yamamoto for any good pieces. Who exactly is going to give up a top 6 forward for that today? Or even a competent 3C?

Plenty of rebuilding teams would take that package in a heartbeat.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
MTL, ARI, SEA, CHI to name a few for now who would love to add a 1st next draft + replacement forward. Oilers are in no rush to add anyone for the next 4 months so waiting til TDL is fine.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Plenty of rebuilding teams would take that package in a heartbeat.

I'm sure they would, but who is Arizona/Buffalo going to send back that is even an upgrade over what the Oilers already have?

And, what incentive does a rebuilding team who isn't actively tanking, like Anaheim/Detroit/Ottawa/etc., have in giving up a useful piece for futures at this point in the season? At the TDL, sure, but as of today, I don't see a reason for them to consider it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm sure they would, but who is Arizona/Buffalo going to send back that is even an upgrade over what the Oilers already have?

And, what incentive does a rebuilding team who isn't actively tanking, like Anaheim/Detroit/Ottawa/etc., have in giving up a useful piece for futures at this point in the season? At the TDL, sure, but as of today, I don't see a reason for them to consider it.

Because in the case of someone like Rakell or Manson, just for example, a 1st and a young middle six forward with lots of upside is a better package than they're going to get on deadline day.

Reactions: Ragdoll

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
MTL, ARI, SEA, CHI to name a few for now who would love to add a 1st next draft + replacement forward. Oilers are in no rush to add anyone for the next 4 months so waiting til TDL is fine.

I'm sure they would like the return. But, who exactly are you targeting on those teams that is an upgrade, available for a mid/late 1st + Yamamoto and doesn't cause cap issues for the Oilers going forward?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Because in the case of someone like Rakell or Manson, just for example, a 1st and a young middle six forward with lots of upside is a better package than they're going to get on deadline day.

So, Anaheim should throw away the season and trade useful roster players for futures, to try to slightly improve the return they should get at the TDL? Why? They added a bunch of youngsters to the roster and could possibly challenge for a wildcard spot if some things go right.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So, Anaheim should throw away the season and trade useful roster players for futures, to try to slightly improve the return they should get at the TDL? Why? They added a bunch of youngsters to the roster and could possibly challenge for a wildcard spot if some things go right.

Anaheim has reportedly fully embraced a rebuild for the first time in their history. They might get a first for the likes of Rakell or Lindholm, but they're not getting a first and a young roster player with Yamamoto's upside. I think the key in this is you're seriously underrating Yamamoto and what he could bring to a rebuilding team. He's hardly just a throw-in.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
ANA organization would rather challenge for the draft lotto wildcard spot this year and next while adding to the young skilled group they have going. They would be stupid to not trade Rakell and Manson. Lindholm is a tossup.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So you think Yamamoto is worth a 2nd and you think Holloway + 1st is worth more then Drysdale.

Holy f*** talk about delusional.

Not saying that Anaheim would do it but valuewise, Holloway+1st for Drysdale is in the ballpark. Holloway is a top prospect in his own right.

Speak about delusional. Saying that Yamamoto isn't even worth a 2nd. Get outta here.
Furthermore, the Oilers have no reason to trade Yamamoto whatsoever if the return doesn't fill a need so Holland would never be dumb enough to trade him for a 2nd anyway.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Sure they do...in conjunction with other pieces. E.g., Grigorenko being thrown into the trade that brought Ryan O'Reilly to the Sabres.
It is a tad early for anyone to refer to Yamamoto as a reclamation project. Hasn't anyone learned from Puljujarvi's situation?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It is a tad early for anyone to refer to Yamamoto as a reclamation project. Hasn't anyone learned from Puljujarvi's situation?

Maybe, but you'd be kidding yourself if you don't think teams would be cautious about highly valuing a guy whose production is trending backwards.

Reactions: themelkman

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

I agree that it's too early to write off Yamamoto. Sometimes things get rough for a while and it's too early to say what Yamamoto will be. But I think Puljujarvi is not a very good example as his talent level was much higher. Anyone taking a closer look at stats should've also seen that was a promising player and there were multiple factors in his difficult start. I mean already during his second season his goals/60 was the 8th best of the NHL at Christmas so he had shown he can really score when things click. Well then again Yamamoto had a great stretch of games as well so what the heck do I know :)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Maybe, but you'd be kidding yourself if you don't think teams would be cautious about highly valuing a guy whose production is trending backwards.
Same draft as Mittelstadt selected 12 picks after.. these guys are far from bust status esp when he has looked decent already. He may never produce like he did before but is a safe bet to be 3RW who will PK and play hard each game ..
I don't see anyone here asking the moon for him.. The 1st 2022 is listed as the main piece and Yama as secondary.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I agree that it's too early to write off Yamamoto. Sometimes things get rough for a while and it's too early to say what Yamamoto will be. But I think Puljujarvi is not a very good example as his talent level was much higher. Anyone taking a closer look at stats should've also seen that was a promising player and there were multiple factors in his difficult start. I mean already during his second season his goals/60 was the 8th best of the NHL at Christmas so he had shown he can really score when things click. Well then again Yamamoto had a great stretch of games as well so what the heck do I know :)

I'm not writing either player off yet. I agree that they're too young for that, and that they've both at least shown something to keep the hope alive. (tbh, I loved what we saw from Mitts last year, especially after Granato took over.) But I also don't think either has the value of their draft position in a trade right now.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I'm not writing either player off yet. I agree that they're too young for that, and that they've both at least shown something to keep the hope alive. (tbh, I loved what we saw from Mitts last year, especially after Granato took over.) But I also don't think either has the value of their draft position in a trade right now.

Yeah I understand. I'm not making guesses about what the draft position because things can change so fast at this stage. If Yamamoto has a difficult season for sure most will think the good stretch was an exception. But if he plays well that will be seen as his true level. His size will push the value down, there's no denying that, but in the end it's the results that matter.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Anaheim has reportedly fully embraced a rebuild for the first time in their history. They might get a first for the likes of Rakell or Lindholm, but they're not getting a first and a young roster player with Yamamoto's upside. I think the key in this is you're seriously underrating Yamamoto and what he could bring to a rebuilding team. He's hardly just a throw-in.

I think you're seriously underrating what Rakell and Lindholm could return at the TDL. Rakell has multiple 30 goal seasons (albeit a few years ago), and should be one of the top forwards available. And Lindholm will most likely be the best D available. Do you honestly think they can't get a 1st + decent prospect with upside? Or are you just overvaluing Yamamoto because of the jersey he wears?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think you're seriously underrating what Rakell and Lindholm could return at the TDL. Rakell has multiple 30 goal seasons (albeit a few years ago), and should be one of the top forwards available. And Lindholm will most likely be the best D available. Do you honestly think they can't get a 1st + decent prospect with upside? Or are you just overvaluing Yamamoto because of the jersey he wears?
And Rakell is off to a good start. No reason for ANA to deal him now when the price goes up at the TDL.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Can’t add anyone of value until most of the cap is burned off and will still require max retention

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad