OT: XXII Olympic Winter Games - Sochi 2014

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That would be a shame if they used injuries as an excuse. Injuries are going to happen whenever athletes compete. Returning to amateurs would sap any interest I have personally in the Olympics. What's the point? Best on best is the entire appeal.

Best on best is the entire appeal.

I have a dumb question. If the NHL doesn't send players to the next Olympics, who would actually be eligible to represent the North American countries? I imagine Sweden, Finland, and Russia aren't going to stop sending the best players in their leagues. Would we be talking AHL players for America and Canada? NCAA? Junior leagues?

That's just the popularity. Try Cowboys fans. Popularity has it's drawbacks.

Though I must admit, speaking with Canadian fans at a hockey bar in Texas (the maple leaf in houston, awesome), and they are going to tell you what's what about their team and yours without knowing who their top 6 is much less their bottom 6. Its weird for sure.

"KESSEL!" <- yeah dude. yup. i know exactly what yer talkin aboot.

I've had that experience here in Korea a few times. I'm not one to generalize (ok maybe I am) but about half of the Canadians I've met here have been insufferable, especially when they find out I'm a hockey fan and they begin to talk shop at me. They're always mouth agape surprised that hockey fans exist in Texas, to which I reply that we all do actually have guns and drive pickup trucks.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
You know, "it's OUR game!" etc. etc. I might be full of false bravado too if my team only put two goals past Latvia in a one goal game. Gotta cling to something. ;)

Ah, well besides the "Its our game" talk. Its about who's going to want it more. The Women could have had it but it didn't work in their favor this time.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Ah, well besides the "Its our game" talk. Its about who's going to want it more. The Women could have had it but it didn't work in their favor this time.

That is one of the most annoying thing people say in sports. You think Quick "wanting it more" than Price is what is going to be the difference or vice versa? It's asinine to say that either team "wants it" less than the other.

It's about execution and luck. Wanting it isn't the issue with people like this.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Best on best is the entire appeal.

I have a dumb question. If the NHL doesn't send players to the next Olympics, who would actually be eligible to represent the North American countries? I imagine Sweden, Finland, and Russia aren't going to stop sending the best players in their leagues. Would we be talking AHL players for America and Canada? NCAA? Junior leagues?

The majority of AHL players are under AHL contract so no.

I think you'd end up with a large number of college kids. Maybe junior players as well. You would also have some Americans and Canadians in the Euro leagues.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
That is one of the most annoying thing people say in sports. You think Quick "wanting it more" than Price is what is going to be the difference or vice versa? It's asinine to say that either team "wants it" less than the other.

It's about execution and luck. Wanting it isn't the issue with people like this.

You drive a good point with this to be honest.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The majority of AHL players are under AHL contract so no.

Hypothetically, couldn't the AHL make their own agreement with the IOC and IIHF? Unless you meant to say that the majority of AHL players are under NHL contract, which would make sense for those players.

I think you'd end up with a large number of college kids. Maybe junior players as well. You would also have some Americans and Canadians in the Euro leagues.

If that's the case we would likely get destroyed by the European powers. At the end of the day I'm not going to sweat it because I think they will find a way to keep NHL players coming over.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
So Lehtonen is getting the nod against Sweden. Good for him to get some high intensity games in preparation for the playoffs!

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hypothetically, couldn't the AHL make their own agreement with the IOC and IIHF? Unless you meant to say that the majority of AHL players are under NHL contract, which would make sense for those players.

Yeah... typo. Meant to say NHL. If the NHL isn't at the Olympics, there won't be a break. If there's not a break in NHL games, I can't see NHL teams giving up their best AHLers. They might need them for a call up to cover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad