X. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Oh man, what a trade that one is looking like it could be!

If Janmark keeps going this year at this pace, he nearly equals Cole's best goals year here, more hustle and speed (although Cole was pretty good his last year, not as engaged the first year here) and he can play ten more years. Just as you would hope when you are a seller at the TDL.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I watched Oleksiak in the AHL game last night...
He still looks sluggish, even at the AHL-level.

I’ve watched about 5 games of the T-Stars this season, and to be honest I’ve come away fairly disappointed with what I thought was going to be a VERY impressive group of D Prospects. The T-Stars have the WORST GAA in the AHL…now I know some of that is on the goalie, but the defense takes a big portion of the responsibility for that medal of shame.

I know that Lindell has gotten some rave reviews, but I just don’t see it…and I was one of his biggest cheerleaders last season when he was playing in Europe. Hopefully, I’ve just caught him on bad nights.

Honka looks pretty good out there, but he’s a tiny, right-handed, offensive D who isn’t ready quite yet…beyond that, with Klingberg on the big club occupying the PP QB, top pairing, right-shot, offensive D spot on our lineup, Honka may not ever slot into our lineup…especially being that right now we need SIZE and DEFENSIVE focus.

Johns looks to be an impressive athlete…I’m surprised by his ability to rush the puck for a man of his size. Very good skating for a big-man. I’ve seen him throw the body with malice as well…which is fun. His defensive play is lacking though, so I’d temper my expectations if you are looking for a shut down D out of him.

Backman is actually my darkhorse candidate and looks to be the most NHL-ready of our D prospects right now. He’s not as jump-off-the-screen as the rest of them, but he’s effective and seems to make the fewest mistakes. I think he has some underrated offensive ability…much like Jokipakka in that sense. Backman’s #‘s in the Swedish High League suggest there is untapped potential there on the offensive side of things (17pts in 25 games last season in Sweden is fairly impressive). I can see him slotting into our 3rd pairing if given the chance. I’d like to see him get a chance, but with our contracts the way they are, he doesn’t have the opportunity to pass up Nemeth or Big Rig unless a move is made. Look for him to be one of the last cuts in training camp next season, and be the surprise player to get some playing time on the big club…outside chance of supplanting Jokipakka next season with his defensive responsibility.

Offensively, nobody has been consistent…with the exception of Dickinson…and Faksa has looked like Faksa.

Ritchie was invisible last night, but has impressed in other games.

McKenzie is what he is, and I’d actually like to see him get a call up to add some energy to the Dallas Stars, silky soft lineup.

I might add that Desrosiers looks pretty promising…and man, would it be nice for him to pan out.

That reads almost exactly like my recent articles...nice to know that other people are seeing these things as well...maybe I can stop getting beat up so badly over not ranking Lindell high too... :naughty:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
That reads almost exactly like my recent articles...nice to know that other people are seeing these things as well...maybe I can stop getting beat up so badly over not ranking Lindell high too... :naughty:

Good call on Lindell. I was much higher on Lindell last year, and I'm not going to lie..it stung when you kinda tossed some water on my high-hopes for him being NHL-ready last season...had you watched him in live action when he was playing in Europe when you made that assessment?

By the way...I'm not saying Lindell is a bust or anything guys. I'm just not yet convinced he's going to be more than a 4th-6th guy quite yet.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, I make a concerted effort to keep an eye (actual eye, you guys can watch boxscores, you don't need to read my stuff (period) if I just regurgitate stats to you...I try to keep a regular eye on everyone that I can, some guys in Finnish Jrs or Swedish Jrs where it's tough, I'll reach out to coaches, scouts, GMs, etc. to see if I can find some firsthand knowledge...

But yes, I've watched Lindell quite a bit or else I would have just taken the "easy" road and just made him a top prospect on the list. I mean, the youngster is named the best defenseman in Finland's top league, it's a lay-up that he would be at least a top-10 prospect for Dallas...unless I had watched enough of him to be not so sure about his upside...

Same thing with Fabian Brunnstrom when he was hyped...I wasn't so sure about him...sure I placed him ahead of Nico Sacchetti (which was a big deal at the time kind of) but I got some video of him and saw him and thought, "I guess...but not really..."

Naturally, I'm going to miss a few too...if I was perfect, I would work for Dallas not write for them...but if Lindell improves his game, I'll move him up the list, until then, I'm going to trust my eye...

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Yeah, I make a concerted effort to keep an eye (actual eye, you guys can watch boxscores, you don't need to read my stuff (period) if I just regurgitate stats to you...I try to keep a regular eye on everyone that I can, some guys in Finnish Jrs or Swedish Jrs where it's tough, I'll reach out to coaches, scouts, GMs, etc. to see if I can find some firsthand knowledge...

But yes, I've watched Lindell quite a bit or else I would have just taken the "easy" road and just made him a top prospect on the list. I mean, the youngster is named the best defenseman in Finland's top league, it's a lay-up that he would be at least a top-10 prospect for Dallas...unless I had watched enough of him to be not so sure about his upside...

Same thing with Fabian Brunnstrom when he was hyped...I wasn't so sure about him...sure I placed him ahead of Nico Sacchetti (which was a big deal at the time kind of) but I got some video of him and saw him and thought, "I guess...but not really..."

Naturally, I'm going to miss a few too...if I was perfect, I would work for Dallas not write for them...but if Lindell improves his game, I'll move him up the list, until then, I'm going to trust my eye...

Who do you like more long-term between Lindell and Hansson?

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think quite a few people saw Lindell with their own eyes prior to this year, I mean he was Finland's number 1 defenseman at last year's world championship. I know I watched him, and I know he was spectacular, it was never just stat watching with him.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I think quite a few people saw Lindell with their own eyes prior to this year, I mean he was Finland's number 1 defenseman at last year's world championship. I know I watched him, and I know he was spectacular, it was never just stat watching with him.

I haven't seen him do anything that I could describe as being anywhere close to "spectacular" this season in NA...which is confusing because some scout give absolutely glowing opinions of him. Didn't someone call him "The best D outside of the NHL right now"?

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I haven't seen him do anything that I could describe as being anywhere close to "spectacular" this season in NA...which is confusing because some scout give absolutely glowing opinions of him. Didn't someone call him "The best D outside of the NHL right now"?

Even if scouts are wrong on him, the thought process makes total sense to say something like that.

He was the one of the best defenseman at a tournament that also featured players like OEL, Klingberg, Burns etc... And then you go back to his 2014 world juniors, he was also great. So all the games that get a ton of visualization, he played extremely well. (But it's totally possible that he was just insulated in Finland's incredible defensive structure, masking some insufficiencies in his game while allowing him to put up a great offensive showing).

So if a scout got a combo of eye tests from international games, caught him on a few multi-point nights in Texas and is aware of his impressive list of club team accolades, makes it easy to say something like that. I don't agree with it, but it makes sense.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com

Yeah, there's not a lot "spectacular" about him...I like his shot and his ability to join the rush late, I think he can place his shot well and get it through nice despite not having the best lateral mobility. I also wouldn't call those things spectacular.

And that's not a word game, spectacular, great, excellent, etc. are just not words that I have used nor plan to use to describe him. And then some people, I get the impression, think that he is defensive-minded...frankly, I'm not so sure that Backman isn't better defensively already...at least at the AHL level, he tracks into lanes really well, really good stick and the most important ingredient, hockey sense. That's what I'm hoping Honka adapts to in the next 6 months or so...

Of course, it comes as no shock that I like Backman more than Lindell as per my previous list.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
With regards to projecting if he'll make a well above average NHLer, probably not. The majority of prospects fail to live up to expectations. Just the way it is. If you want to be right on the majority of prospects, just make a blanket statement saying that all non-blue chippers won't turn into above average NHLers, you'll be right more than wrong.

I think a lot of times fans view prospects as highly likely to be top 4/top 6 NHLers with the depth guys and busts being the exception to the rule. It should really be the opposite, I think the majority of prospects will turn into depth guys, AHLers and journeymen; with the hits being the exception to the rule.

I consider Lindell to be at the top of our prospect pool (or close to it), because I think he has one of the best chance of being one of those exceptions. But at the same time, I wouldn't bet money on him being a no doubt about it top 4 defenseman. I wouldn't bet money on anyone of our prospects, or other team's for that matter.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
How has Dickinson looked recently? Noticed he was putting up some pretty decent numbers as of late.

He's been one of our better looking forward prospects in the games I've watched. Quick...finds ways to be dangerous in the offensive zone.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Texas vs. San Antonio

We clobbered San Antonio today. Here are my observations:

Johns - Big hits, but iffy defensive play. Lost a 1-on-1 that resulted in a scoring chance that I noticed...as an example.

Backman - I like him more and more every time I watch him. He looked really good on the PP with Honka, and QBed the PP very well. I would have thought Honka would have been the go to guy for this, but Backman looked the part. He has as very good wrister of a point shot. Makes a few defensive errors, here and there, but easily the most reliable defenseman in the D-Zone for the T-Stars.

Honka - he is not as dynamic as I thought he would be. Right after he was drafted he tore it up in a few Dallas preseason games, and I have yet to see that offensive flair and poise sense then in the AHL.

McKenzie - crashed the net and scored a goal. We need his presence on the big club to help get the dirty goals when we face goalies that are on their games.

Faksa - looked GREAT. Scored a goal on a sick wristshot off of an odd-man rush. He needs to get the call to pack his thing and pick a home in the Dallas area. It's time.

Oleksiak - had a better game today. I would have liked to have seen him, or anyone for that matter, answer the bell against the 6'6 Bordeleaux, who absolutely DESTROYED T-Stars with hits about half a dozen times over the course of the game

MORE GRIT...we need it both in Dallas and in Cedar Park...Organizational need that has to be addressed to survive in the regular season, and especially the playoffs.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The AHL is a grit league, the NHL is not. McKenzie is a great example of that difference, he'll always be a crash the net guy but never more than a 4th liner in Dallas. And Oleksiak should absolutely not be throwing down with Bordeleaux on a conditioning stint. You can afford to have a sheriff in the AHL but not in the NHL and all the Stars are terrible fighters. Benn may be the exception but it is counterproductive to have him sit for 5.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Campbell has been dominant for Idaho.

Had a 1:21:24 SO streak snapped last night vs Alaska. Played both games on the weekend, stopping all 34 Aces shots Friday and 37/38 Saturday.

3 shutouts in his last 6 games, already tied for the league lead in just 9 games.

6-3 record, 1.51 G.A.A., .951 SV%

He's definitely doing his bit, would be nice to see him get recalled to Texas and play the way he did down the stretch after being recalled last season.

With the other goalies doing well right now though, gonna be tough.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Unless the other guys melt down like he did earlier this season or get injured it's unlikely Campbell gets another shot with with Texas. Campbell blew his chances now its too late.

Direct Quote from the Texas Stars GM : “Jack has gone down and played well in Idaho, But the ECHL is not the AHL. It’s all about taking advantage of opportunities, and Phil and Max have done everything they need to. I don’t see any reason to change the situation.”

By the way i really hope when Nill makes his moves he finds a way to get Faksa a permanent spot the big team . He's better than our veteran grinders.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
The AHL is a grit league, the NHL is not. McKenzie is a great example of that difference, he'll always be a crash the net guy but never more than a 4th liner in Dallas. And Oleksiak should absolutely not be throwing down with Bordeleaux on a conditioning stint. You can afford to have a sheriff in the AHL but not in the NHL and all the Stars are terrible fighters. Benn may be the exception but it is counterproductive to have him sit for 5.

I can see your view on Oleksiak not handling bordeleaux, but SOMEONE needed too. We are lucky that none of our prospects were hurt...really, really lucky, because he was hunting.

Until the NHL makes hitting illegal...which is possible the way things are going haha, then grit/physical play will always be a part of the game...not goonery, grit...standing up and PROTECTING your skilled players from even clean hits. You have to do it.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
How do you stop a guy from hitting your players? Fighting him takes him off the ice for a shift, but he's still going to play his game.

Has you gone Obama on me here?? Haha. Do you think that if we are gentle and polite with the opposition, that they will be LESS likely to target players like Klingberg?

How did the Oilers and the Kings keep the diminutive Gretzky from getting physically destroyed and intimidated for all of those years?

How many more injuries would Modano have sustained if players like Hatcher weren't around?

Returning fire physically (ideally in a legal fashion) is a generally accepted form of deterrence. What's the best way to stop a bully? Punch him in the face.

Yes, this is hockey and not a schoolyard, but the idea is that if you are worried about someone checking you into tomorrow, you are less likely to take liberties. Period.

There's a reason enforcers existed for so long in the NHL...they served a purpose beyond just entertainment value.

Yes, the NHL is different today than it was 20 years ago, but the world has not changed, you have to stand up for yourself and your teammates. It doesn't need to be an "enforcer", but somebody has to do it. One way or the other. That's called leadership. That's part of being a team.

I don't see any "fight" in our game right now. There's a lack of pride, a lack of "care"/emotion (save a few players like Roussel who seem to have been put on a leash), and a lack of camaraderie. A symptom of this is that we don't see any physical answers to punishment from the opposition, nor do we see a physical response to punishment on the scoreboard. Somebody has to step up physically when runs are being taken on our players, and somebody needs to step up physically to spark the team when all else is failing.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Fighting hasn't deterred anything since the instigator went in place. For example, even with Hatcher around, Marchment still wrecked knees as will.

And being physicial? Ok. I guess a bunch of much smaller guys can go try to check a 6'6" monster. They aren't going to change his game at all, but it would make everyone feel like they were trying.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
How did the Oilers and the Kings keep the diminutive Gretzky from getting physically destroyed and intimidated for all of those years?

I'd say this is more on Gretzky than on the team around him. Part of being skilled is being able to regularly avoid hits or minimize their blow when they're unavoidable. Klingberg's shown this before, so hopefully its just a matter of time until he gets that part of his game back.

An eye for an eye doesn't work when one is a star player and the other is a grinder.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
An eye for an eye doesn't work when one is a star player and the other is a grinder.

This is true. That's why sometimes if they target Klingberg, you have to throw the body on one of their core players. It creates an unspoken rule of "don't mess with my star player and I won't mess with yours".

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Unless the other guys melt down like he did earlier this season or get injured it's unlikely Campbell gets another shot with with Texas. Campbell blew his chances now its too late.

Direct Quote from the Texas Stars GM : “Jack has gone down and played well in Idaho, But the ECHL is not the AHL. It’s all about taking advantage of opportunities, and Phil and Max have done everything they need to. I don’t see any reason to change the situation.â€

By the way i really hope when Nill makes his moves he finds a way to get Faksa a permanent spot the big team . He's better than our veteran grinders.

True about Campbell. He hasn't done his job with Texas, bottom line. I do hope he gets another shot though and continues his play.

I'm hoping that with Faksa as well. I'd like to see Eakin moved by the deadline in a package for a top 6 2-way winger (Ladd) or a top pairing defenseman (Edler). We're a better team with Faksa up and said player inserted as well. Not just for today, tomorrow as well.

How do you stop a guy from hitting your players? Fighting him takes him off the ice for a shift, but he's still going to play his game.

I'd say this is more on Gretzky than on the team around him. Part of being skilled is being able to regularly avoid hits or minimize their blow when they're unavoidable. Klingberg's shown this before, so hopefully its just a matter of time until he gets that part of his game back.

Fighting doesn't necessarily stop a player from playing his game and hitting your guys, but you still have to do it, or at least do something. Upping the physical game on their star players is a method as well.

North Stars vs Blackhawks back in the old Norris Division days, the Hawks would target guys like Dino Ciccarelli and Neal Broten. Our coach Glen Sonmor leans over the glass and yells to the Hawks coach, "You guys keep doing that, we're coming after your players." Hawks Denis Savard says to his coach, "Lay off those guys."

You should respond in some way.

As for Gretzky, Semenko rode shotgun with him for a few seasons and definitely kept guys in check,, there's no doubt about it. Kevin McClelland, Mart McSorley. Heck, even Mark Messier. Those oiler teams had an answer for you and that played a role in everything.

That said, it's true that Gretzky was just hard to hit.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Referring to the pre-instigator days doesn't work for today's game. Pick any star player today. Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. Fighting doesn't keep them healthy because no player today worries at all about fighting. In today's NHL, the best way to keep your star players healthy is to have a great power play.

Yeah in the 80s, if you ran a star player, a goon like Semenko would come over and try to beat you up. With the instigator in place, that doesn't happen.

Think of all of the big name goons from the late 90s. These enforcers would play their six shifts a game against the other team's 4th liners. If an opponent put a dirty hit on your team's star player, your goon would go out the next shift to fight their goon. The crusty old announcers would talk about frontier justice and how the enforcer made the other team answer for what was done, even though the player who delivered the dirty hit never had to answer for it. The crowds loved the fights because they were tons of fun to watch, but it was more WWE than it was any actual enforcement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad