X. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
In my mind that's exactly what your wrote. You seem to infer only Oleksiak makes young mistakes based on that comment. If you don't live with growing pains, you don't develop any players.

Not one player on the team joined as a rookie without some kinks to iron out, and even he hadn't shown considerable improvement since the beginning of the year the conversation might make some sense.

I'm just reacting to what seems like a very unrealistic expectation of a player who this season has done exactly what you'd expect of a 21/22 year old player. We don't have to emulate the Toronto media.

True, but generally there is enough to a player's game that is indicative of who they are. Oleksiak doesn't look inexperienced and raw defensively; he looks inexperienced and confused defensively. There's no way a player of his size should be incapable of poke checking, or maintaining gap control with his frame, nevermind the physical side.

The fact that he's improved this season is certainly a reason to be hopeful, but I've reached the point where I wouldn't be crushed if he became a trade piece even though I agree that his size alone warrants the benefit of the doubt. The other problem is one of traffic; if he can't even outplay Jokipakka, who has never projected to have a high ceiling, how will he outplay guys with higher ceilings than 2Pak, who begin to show promise...like Lindell, Nemeth, etc?

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
True, but generally there is enough to a player's game that is indicative of who they are. Oleksiak doesn't look inexperienced and raw defensively; he looks inexperienced and confused defensively. There's no way a player of his size should be incapable of poke checking, or maintaining gap control with his frame, nevermind the physical side.

The fact that he's improved this season is certainly a reason to be hopeful, but I've reached the point where I wouldn't be crushed if he became a trade piece even though I agree that his size alone warrants the benefit of the doubt. The other problem is one of traffic; if he can't even outplay Jokipakka, who has never projected to have a high ceiling, how will he outplay guys with higher ceilings than 2Pak, who begin to show promise...like Lindell, Nemeth, etc?

I would be too if I was shuffled around every few games like he has been the last 2 seasons (mostly this one). One day you're being told you're doing well and you have a good game, and the next you're being scratched for multiple games so that Jordie and Schelmko can show off their great skill.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Jokipakka is turning 24 year old in several months and developed in a men's league. He should be further along than a guy who just turned 22 years old. Draft position means squat once you're talking about NHL playing time and performance on a serious team (excluding the bottom teams in the league that throw players to the fire sooner because of how poor their talent level is). The better player should play, and right now that is Jokipakka.

However, age plays a significant factor in where a guy is at in development.

I already pointed this out once with an accurate chart, but most D Oleksiak's age (draft class) aren't even playing in the league yet. Those that have for the most part, have played fewer games than Jamie. I don't really understand how short sided we get about development sometimes.

At the same time you're all about Lindell ... 6 months younger than Oleksiak ... who is playing in the 3rd best league in Europe while Jamie is spending time in the NHL. They're virtually at the same development point in their career.

Point is ... Oleksiak is essentially exactly on tract to where he should be, but many people somehow turn that into him not meeting expectations. It impatience and unrealistic expectations. For what it's worth ... Jokipakka and Lindell are also where they should be if they are going to have a future in the NHL

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
For reference ... this is from November or December:

Characterizing these positive steps forward though as some shock or him doing it just in the nick of time though is still just so crazy to me. We're talking about a guy that turned 22 years old 2 weeks ago. This is right on track. No D outside of the first round in 2011 has played more games than him. Very few D in the 1st round were as inexperienced as him when he was drafted. He was the biggest project you could possible take in the first round on D.

Draft Rank|Name|Team|Games Played|G|A|PTS
4|Adam Larsson|Skelleftea AIK [SEL]|152|4|29|33
9|Dougie Hamilton|Niagara IceDogs [OHL]|146|19|45|64
10|Jonas Brodin|Farjestads BK Karlstad [SEL]|151|11|23|34
11|Duncan Siemens|Saskatoon Blades [WHL]|0|0|0|0
12|Ryan Murphy|Kitchener Rangers [OHL]|62|2|11|13
14|Jamie Oleksiak|Northeastern University [H-East]|49|1|9|10
17|Nathan Beaulieu|Saint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL]|48|0|8|8
19|Oscar Klefbom|Farjestads BK Karlstad [SEL]|36|1|4|5
20|Connor Murphy|U.S. National Development Team [USHL]|64|3|10|13
23|Joe Morrow|Portland Winterhawks [WHL]|15|1|0|1
25|Stuart Percy|Mississauga St. Michael's Majors [OHL]|8|0|3|3

We're not being realistic with expectations if you think Oleksiak should have already been a finished product or full time, Top 4 NHLer.

By biggest project I meant ... no D in the first round was playing in the USHL a season before and then the NCAA his draft year. From his 17 year old season to his pro season .... just 4 seasons ... he played for 6 different teams/coaches in 5 different leagues. He was a late blooming, late riser ... a known project pick.

We're very quick to jump to the next flavor of the month and ignore that development is hard work.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
it is a bit odd that Hull Fan, one of the most prospect oriented people on the boards, has been down on Oleksiak for quite some time.

I want Oleksiak to be the player he can be. I want Jay Bouwmeester lite. Unfortunately I have serious reservations about his ability to achieve that lofty goal because I question his hockey sense. Without that coupled with his tentativeness he's a big softy that doesn't use his size and makes poor decisions on the ice. If he's turned the corner on that great. Want to see it in Dallas but if he hasn't can a team with an already dubious defense play a kid who hasn't gotten it when it has two other kids, Nemeth & Jokipakka, who appear to have even though both their ceilings are lower than his?

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Any way my quick thoughts on Oleksiak, especially after the last game.

First off, let me touch on Laxdal. Since the incident at San Antonio, the team in the last couple of games seem to be playing better. The last game was one of the best I watched this season.

This leads me to the next part. Oleksiak has constantly had his maturity pointed out by many different sources. I think Laxdal's hard nose, ******* type coaching may be what Oleksiak needs. Since he's been constantly up and down, he's been slowly getting better when at CPC.

I've always been on the side of saying he should be kept in the AHL to mature. I see some progress finally, the question is if he can maintain the consistency.

As far as his hockey sense and decision making. I always said, don't make him the lead of the pair. He's not that smart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
At the same time you're all about Lindell ... 6 months younger than Oleksiak ... who is playing in the 3rd best league in Europe while Jamie is spending time in the NHL. They're virtually at the same development point in their career.

Point is ... Oleksiak is essentially exactly on tract to where he should be, but many people somehow turn that into him not meeting expectations. It impatience and unrealistic expectations. For what it's worth ... Jokipakka and Lindell are also where they should be if they are going to have a future in the NHL

Lets back it up a bit here. Lindell was born in 1994. So he is 1,5 years younger than Oleksiak. And well on his way to surpass JO's developement curve.

Tho he isn't playing in hugher quality league, he is still playin #1D role, leading that league in TOI and being pretty domitant. Also one of the better defenders while in the NT.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Not that I'm some huge fan of Oleksiak, put Jokipakka was anchoring a #1 D pairing in Finland too, and he's been neck and neck with Oleksiak all season long. I haven't seen Lindell play, but I think citing his ability to be a #1D on a team in the FEL isn't the kind of thing that can solely shut a conversation down comparing two players. I'm still not sure if Oleksiak is just really slowly developing or if he has plateaued at a certain level he can't seem to get past, I'll leave it up to the guys who watch the AHL to determine that, but unless a really big piece is coming you can't trade away a 22 year old NHL defenseman with his size. I'd rather lose out on some modicum of trade value later than give up on a potentially dominant defenseman now.

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
AHL Western Conference Notebook, March, 2015

connor_brickley_san_antonio_012415.jpg
Photo: San Antonio Rampage forward and Florida Panthers prospect Connor Brickley has been a productive AHL rookie after struggling with injuries during his NCAA career at the University of Vermont (courtesy of Frank Jansky/Icon Sportswire)

The Utica Comets and San Antonio Rampage have left their respective AHL divisional opponents behind heading into April, but the Midwest Division is still up for grabs as well as the remaining playoff spots from fourth to eighth place in the Western Conference.

How the West was won

If not for an eight-game winning streak by the San Antonio Rampage coupled with a seven-game winless streak by Oklahoma City, the Rampage would be jostling for a playoff position with the rest of the bubble teams.… read more

The post AHL Western Conference Notebook, March, 2015 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
I'm curious to know what your take on Cole Ully is?
It seems like he has done nothing except have another exceptional year on a very poor team, but I'm surprised that he isn't getting into any games with Texas. Any reason?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm curious to know what your take on Cole Ully is?
It seems like he has done nothing except have another exceptional year on a very poor team, but I'm surprised that he isn't getting into any games with Texas. Any reason?

He doesn't know the system or the league and the team is only 3 points ahead of missing the playoffs so they can't waste time hoping he'll adjust?

I think everyone hopes he can continue to be effective and make the NHL, my fantasy team name will become more relevant for sure, but the odds are he isn't showing the team he is ready to contribute yet.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Was recently in a debate with a couple oiler fans on the NHL Talk board, who claimed that us having Oleksiak rather than Oscar Klefbom was one of our downfalls.

They listed missing out on Fowler as one (I love Campbell, but clearly Fowler in the lineup right now makes us better), and swinging and missing on Glennie, and possibly Faksa. Then threw out Oleksiak instead of Klefbom.

Ridiculous I say. Nothing wrong with Oleksiak. To me, he seemed to be improving steadily with every game he played up with the big boys. Not spectacular, but becoming more and more an NHL player. Is it fair that Jokipakka has been getting the nod ahead of him? Maybe. I've liked Jokipakka. No reason to dump on Oleksiak though.

Too early to be dumping on a young defenseman like that. It's still extremely early on in his career. I haven't seen him on the farm, and I'm unaware of anything internal, but I'm satisfied with his play up with the big boys so far.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Stars moving to the Pacific Division

Pacific Division
Bakersfield Condors (EDM)
Ontario Reign (LA)
San Antonio Rampage (COL)
San Diego Gulls (ANA)
San Jose Barracuda (SJ)
Stockton Heat (CGY)
Texas Stars (DAL)

Central Division
Charlotte Checkers (CAR)
Chicago Wolves (STL)
Grand Rapids Griffins (DET)
Iowa Wild (MIN)
Lake Erie Monsters (CBJ)
Manitoba Moose (WPG)
Milwaukee Admirals (NSH)
Rockford IceHogs (CHI)

Sean Shapiro @seanshapiro
Jim Nill by the way is not a fan of 68 games. He’s told me his preferred schedule is 72 or 74

No confirmation on Texas Stars playing 76 or 68 games. That information is not available right now, per team official. #AHL #txstars
4:15 PM - 12 May 2015

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
The Texas Stars got the AHL season kicked off with a thrilling 5-4 OT win over San Antonio in their home opener.

Here are some quick notes :

Notes

*Defenseman Esa Lindell had two assists and a plus-four rating in Saturday’s game.

*Left wing Curtis McKenzie registered three assists in the win over San Antonio.

*John Muse got the start in goal Saturday and stopped 33 of 37 shots.

*Texas was 0-2 on the power play and 3-5 on the penalty kill in game one of the season.

*Texas has won six of seven season-openers in franchise history (6-1-0).

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
The Texas Stars got the AHL season kicked off with a thrilling 5-4 OT win over San Antonio in their home opener.

Here are some quick notes :

I like these Lindell quotes the most:

Ben Street tied the game with 68 seconds remaining for San Antonio and almost won the game when Shore was in the box, but Lindell made a goal-mouth clear.

Despite the scare, Texas took overtime and the team’s effort impressed Stars coach Derek Laxdal.

He then watched Travis Morin, Esa Lindell, and Stephen Johns kill the remainder of his penalty, before he charged out of the box with more jump, turning the Texas Stars first 3-on-3 overtime game into a 4-on-4 competition.

Expect the high end defense, don't expect too much offensively. I thought he would be up in the NHL but I guess his training camp wasn't a success. But you can't always be right, especially with European D-men who are known to have longish adjustment period to the NA game.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I thought his offense was top notch and his defense was lacking?

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Expect the high end defense, don't expect too much offensively. I thought he would be up in the NHL but I guess his training camp wasn't a success. But you can't always be right, especially with European D-men who are known to have longish adjustment period to the NA game.
He was good at camp, but he's at the very least 10th on the depth chart on defense, and those above him are difficult to pass for contract reasons mostly so unless he was close to our best D-man he wouldn't have made the team out of camp, that was never gonna happen. Might still get a few games, but wouldn't expect him to stick until atleast next season.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Matej Stransky has 2 goals and 3 assists in 5 games played. Is he finally figuring it out?

He's a longshot given the talent ahead of him. I imagine his production is the case of that rising tide lifting all boats, they are scoring for fun in the AHL right now.

texashockeyguy

Mar 20, 2012
What is the story on Jack Campbell?

Is he injured? Looks like he is not even on the bench right now for them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad