Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just glad others are starting to see this…we’ve been saying it for years but to be fair it’s manifesting in worse and worse ways lately

Pretty sure we’re due for at least one other bomb this offseason involving Kaliyev Spence and our 1st for some 30 year old
Wait, when did you hear about my offer for Kaliyev, Spence and your first for Ghally?

I got to do a better job on keeping secrets....

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I think the fact that the Caps paid less than nothing for him might change the motivation.

This player is 26. And Darcy Kuemper is now the Kings number one goalie.

If I were a Kings fan, I’d be pissed.
Kuemper won’t be their number 1. If kings management really didn’t know they will know first day of training camp that he’s lost his stuff. Caps were night and day different depending on the goalie

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You know I'm in the minority and I know that, but I think PLD is extremely talented and I think Washington wins this trade, by quite a lot.

I likeKuemper, I think he's a good goaltender but if PLD and Kuemper are both playing at their best PLD is the better player.

Now would I have made this deal? no Washington should be rebuilding, but that doesn't change the better player.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
You know I'm in the minority and I know that, but I think PLD is extremely talented and I think Washington wins this trade, by quite a lot.

I likeKuemper, I think he's a good goaltender but if PLD and Kuemper are both playing at their best PLD is the better player.

Now would I have made this deal? no Washington should be rebuilding, but that doesn't change the better player.
With the contract, they can really rebuild haaard and will have an easy time hitting the cap floor. Short term, they get to focus on Ovi getting the goal record. Retire him and his jersey and then play an extra couple ECHL guys to help tank for a few #1 overall picks. 3D chess by the Caps.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Talent was never the issue, kid has boat loads of talent....

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Galchy never reached PL’s points production….

He also has never reached his full potential, before ending up being passed around from team to team and fizzling out after on ice issues caught up to him. He had character issues. He was bad for the dressing room. Those are the similarities.

In Galchenyuk's case he had endless talent. He was drafted #1 overall in the OHL draft. Drafted #3 to the NHL even after a major injury in his draft year. PLD also has endless nature ability yet is on a similar trajectory. It is up to him to mature on the ice and as a teammate. As a person and change this outcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: pth2

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood

No one has doubted his talent. We've doubted his urgency/ work ethic. He plays like he doesn't give a shit. If there was a distinct, visual definition of just showing up just for a paycheck....it's him.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Basically, PLD needs to be surrounded by good players that benefit him to get him to his game. He doesn’t have the ability to carry a team on his shoulders. If Washington can do that, they can have some success with him. That just wasn’t going to happen on the Kings (and a few other teams, apparently).

As for Kuemper on the Kings, he is for the most part, a bridge goalie for one year. At best a 1b for another year after that. Kings management are really happy with Portillo and want him to get another year at Ontario before taking over starter on the big club.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The more I think about it, the less I hate it for WSH (its still not good)

They let LA off the hook too easily imo, but LA still has to deal with multiple years of Kuemper if he doesnt work out (which is atleast plausible if not likely) and they do get some upside with Dubois.

I doubt PLD will ever be worth his contract, but I don't think he'll be as bad as he was this season every year of the deal moving forward.

WSH is likely headed to a deeper rebuild in 2-3 years when Ovechkin has already broken the record, so atleast they are in a position to roll the dice on PLD's upside without disastrous consequence to their franchise's trajectory. And for PLD I don't think it gets much worse than last season anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingsfan1

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005

It's a big win for them if he plays like he can. But we've seen him in LA and we saw what he did for parts of his time in Columbus. If he plays peak Winnipeg form, then Washington wins. If he plays like he did the last year, Washington loses by a lot. Was it worth the risk? I'm not sure I would have taken the risk, but we'll see.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
One wonders what the steaming piles of crap they were offering for the Kings to take the deal they did?

Probably Anderson or Dvorak (or both). Habs probably asked for $1M retention as well. Something along those lines. My hunch tells me the Habs didn't want to bring in Dubois at that cap hit.

This deal was clearly about moving the 7 year contract out for the Kings.

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg

Yup PLD is extremely talented. If only it was about talent. This guy is a big disappointment.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
So, we dumped a crappy Kuemper deal we should have never signed for an even longer, crappier deal for PLD? Did we not learn anything from Kuznetsov? All the talent in the world and none of the work ethic to use it? Are we contractually obligated by the NHL to have at least overpaid, underperforming "cancer" in our locker room? This deal looks like a hot mess now, wait for 6 or 7 years from now when we are still overpaying PLD.

gvineq

Feb 6, 2023
Kings clearly won this deal just by getting PLD and his contract off the team. Like already stated if you want a visual for not giving a "F" just watch any of the Kings playoff games with him. In 5 playoff games he had multiple games with ZERO shots on goal. The King would have been happy if the guy just showed a passing interest in hockey.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Kings clearly won this deal just by getting PLD and his contract off the team. Like already stated if you want a visual for not giving a "F" just watch any of the Kings playoff games with him. In 5 playoff games he had multiple games with ZERO shots on goal. The King would have been happy if the guy just showed a passing interest in hockey.
Please find 2024 Kuemper playoff highlights.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So, we dumped a crappy Kuemper deal we should have never signed for an even longer, crappier deal for PLD? Did we not learn anything from Kuznetsov? All the talent in the world and none of the work ethic to use it? Are we contractually obligated by the NHL to have at least overpaid, underperforming "cancer" in our locker room? This deal looks like a hot mess now, wait for 6 or 7 years from now when we are still overpaying PLD.
In 3 years we could be in a rebuild. In 3 years we will have a ton of cap space. After 3 years, PLD’s contract is buyout tolerable for us if it comes to that.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Winnipeg coaching staff alluded to PLD being out of the room as a big reason for their improvement this past season.

Read between the lines of Doughty's comments during the Kings slide and subsequent firing of T-Mac and it is hard to believe he isn't speaking about PLD.

It is addition by subtraction and it doesn't matter if Keumper sucks. This is like getting married, immediately regretting it and getting out of it via a settlement that is much better than sticking out years of a marriage that will cost more in both dollars and emotional toll.

It shouldn't be this hard to get 63 points from a player which is his career best . 81 players scored 63 last season. Crude average, but that's almost three per team if all things were equal. 93 players scored 60 last year so that would be even closer to three per team.

If PLD is one of my Top 3 scorers, my team is most likely missing the playoffs unless I have an elite scorer and/or #1D/goalie. He offers nothing defensively, doesn't use the body enough, frustrates his teammates and still isn't that much of a scorer. Hell, Phil Danault supposedly has no offense and his high mark in points is only nine behind PLD.

I wanted it to work because I was also enamored with the playoff performance in the bubble and was willing to deal with some nights off for when the switch was flipped on. Guy got paid though, flipped the switch for his first game back in Winnipeg and then collected a check the rest of the season unless he was playing Chicago.

I will not be surprised if he puts up a career high in points next year but it will be empty calories.

Reactions: Reaper45 and Viqsi

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Kings winning the deal on their side doesn't mean Washington loses it, though.

I wish people would stop seeing trades as zero-sum deals.

Reactions: BallardEra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad