Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Well as a Caps fan… i really dont know how i feel about this.

Its high risk, high reward. I dont maybe hate it yet. Ill learn to hate it though when Dubois turns out to be exactly what everyone says he is :)

But also if Dubois turns out to become a 70 point center for 5-6 years for us, BM will look like a freaking genious. If he sucks, well clock it in, we are going for the long rebuild. I kind of get where we are going with it.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
This is actually a great trade for both teams considering the position they're both in (or that they put themselves in). Better for LA but look at Washington's roster. They need young players, and that lower-pressure environment could potentially help PLD who, despite his apparent attitude issues, isn't nearly as bad as he's played recently. This is the kind of trade that should happen more often, but rarely does. Fun!

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
To think, all those sleepless night for LA fans, waiting for the deal to finally hit, to a year later now knowing your manager gave all that up, for Darcy Kuemper at $5 million per.

As for Washington, other than PLD now taking up 10% of your cap, you get out from Kuemper but they’re still taking a major chance here.

There will NOT be a 4th team thinking they’ll fix PLD. We’re at the point, he needs to wake up one morning soon, deciding he’d like to participate as an NHL player. Good bet he has a couple of mediocre years and the Caps finally buy him out. He’s left us no other options to predict. Until he changes his approach, people aren’t changing their minds about him.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
A team that doesn’t play offensively acquired an overpaid forward who doesn’t provide offensively

Match made in heaven

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
Some of these comments are comical. Especially the ones before they knew about the return.

This is a circumstantial type trade. Caps badly need a center to play with Ovi. And the Caps probably realized what I have said over and over again.... The clear trend here is Dubois produces when he plays in a high usage role with talent and fades in the shadows when he doesn't. I bet you he produces this year with Ovi.

Go ahead and put your foot in your mouth before you see the results. "Caps are dumb"

People laughed at the Dylan Strome acquisition as well and he seems to be doing more than fine.

Honestly the dude seems to be in love with himself so being known as the one who helped Ovechkin break Gretzky's record might actually motivate him.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think the 1/3 buyout window is closed thanks to Oilers game 4/5 heroics. To be eligible for 1/3 he has to be bought out by the 23rd - he is too old on the 24th his birthday. buyout window opens 48 hrs after cup is awarded. game 6 is on the 21st plus 48 hours would leave a small window or no window. Oilers win last night may have saved PLD a ton of money
Still open if Florida wins in 6. If it goes 7, they lose that chance. Not likely the reason to do this anyway, but...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Eh you can find some cool shit outside of DC but the city itself sucks. Old town Alexandria is fun, National harbor was pretty nice, a few other places.
Lived in Old Town for 8 years, it’s the best. Some of the city does suck for sure but there are some great parts as well. Fun fact: DC has the third-highest density of Michelin-starred restaurants anywhere in the world.

DC gets a bad rep for being a stuffy political city and for good reason but that has really shifted over the past 15 years or so. It’s not the best city in the world but it’s still pretty cool and it’s a great place to raise a family.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Like playing a scoring winger in a shut down role and being surprised he's not effective. If he was a perfect player he wouldn't have gotten traded

Half way through the year with top 6 minutes and I'd bet the Caps are happy
He wasn’t effective in a scoring role, they were trying to win so they had to play guys who could get it done above him. It’s not complicated.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
how is Rob Blake still employed? All of HF Boards could do better than this (heck, 90% of HFB wouldn't have traded for PLD in the first place!)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
damn, blake might have just salvaged his job with this one. didn't think anyone would be willing to take on that contract

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
PLD went from basically being able to play wherever he wanted to being stuck on a bottom 10 team for several years. His best bet is to play his ass off and request a trade in a year or two with his improved stock.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I get why LA did this, but no clue why Wsh does this. Kuemper is an easier buyout that PLD if he doesn't get back to at least 60 pts.

My thoughts are that the Caps actually have a rare and unique objective.

They know rebuild is around the corner. They're doing what they can but not to circle the drain and see if they can squeeze in one last run (ie: a team like the Pens who could potentially achieve that). Instead they're acquiring decent enough roster talent around Ovi for the next few years to help Ovi break the goal scoring record before he retires. After that, perhaps they're shrugging at the fact that PLD will help with the Cap floor in a rebuild.

They moved Kuznetsov and Backstrom may not return due to injury... this is the next best option to get decent enough top 6C talent for Ovi to play with?

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
Have people seen how fat OVI is?
1718826263353.png

taken before they started playing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad