Proposal: wpg-phi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I don't worship at all, but homerism is quite strong in your post. He's a 26 yr old D man, that has been very good on the Flyers. You claim to of watched him a lot, just wondering when you watched him cause last 2 years sure doesn't fit your narrative ??

MDZ was good at start of career and then struggled and has now put it back together, sounds familiar heh !

Homerism? Because I'd prefer to keep a 22 y/o stud vs. a 26 y/o with a demonstrated history of incredibly erratic play? Party on, Garth.

Carry on without me; work to do.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Based upon all the comments here, it actually sounds like a pretty equal trade. For people saying Trouba will be too expensive to sign, it's been speculated that he'll likely end up somewhere in the Seth Jones - Ryan O'Reilly range (so 5.5-6.2M) which may or may not fit a team's salary cap.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You conversely come across quite poorly while trying to sell a guy that was gawd awful until two seasons ago as being underrated here. He has played well of late, but his history suggests significant risk of regression.

No thanks; you are free to worship him all you wish though. Carry on. Sorry that my opinion differs from your own.

MDZ has been in the league for 7 years....and he had 5 good years and 2 bad years. Is that so odd for Dman starting at age 19?

He is now a top 4 Dman who plays on the Flyers top pairing and plays he most minutes a game.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
A pending UFA after this season that is traded for cap purposes (seriously, read the OP proposal) in-part in exchange for a 22 y/o RFA that is at least 4-years from UFA status is a cap dump in my view. He certainly is in no way a logical replacement for Trouba in the Jets lineup, either, but rather is a downgrade. The prospect Sanheim, while certainly having a bright future, isn't ready yet either to step into that role.

The Jets aren't rebuilding, they aren't looking to take a step back via a downgrade at D, not looking for an assortment of stuff in exchange for a stud in other words, thanks anyway.

Still a pass.

Flyers have no need to dump people for cap purposes though, we'll be in easy street in a year or two. MDZ will get an extension and won't get much of a rise at all. I'm not arguing that they have the same value but to claim the gap in value is Travis Sanheim?! Mental.

Right now, there's little to no talent gap between Trouba and MDZ. There may be in 6 months/1 year/2 years but no guarantee at all.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
You guys can claim their play as roughly equivalent all you wish. The problem with that theory is that it discounts that Trouba has been stuck playing alongside and having to carry Mark Stuart on his back however and that has hurt his numbers. If Maurice plays Trouba alongside Byfuglien in the #1 pair this year as he has already stated he will, then you'll see just how wrong you are. I doubt any NHL GMs would view them as equivalent players. Trouba still has tons of upside, while MDZ conversely is a huge risk to regress based upon his history.

You are also discounting contractual status - which is huge. The Jets will likely sign Trouba for six or seven years; he has four left as an RFA. MDZ conversely is much older and is one year away from free agency. Those are not equivalent assets by any means. One is much more valuable in fact. Care to guess which one?

Regardless, at the end of the day, neither MDZ nor Sanheim would replace Trouba's value in Winnipeg's lineup today, period. I'd hope Cheveldayoff would be fired if he made the trade as proposed in this thread. The Jets are looking to take a significant step forward this year, not reduce their talent-level in the NHL lineup.

Pass. Don't call back.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You guys can claim their play as roughly equivalent all you wish. The problem with that theory is that it discounts that Trouba has been stuck playing alongside and having to carry Mark Stuart on his back however and that has hurt his numbers. If Maurice plays Trouba alongside Byfuglien in the #1 pair this year as he has already stated he will, then you'll see just how wrong you are. I doubt any NHL GMs would view them as equivalent players. Trouba still has tons of upside, while MDZ conversely is a huge risk to regress based upon his history.

You are also discounting contractual status - which is huge. The Jets will likely sign Trouba for six or seven years; he has four left as an RFA. MDZ conversely is much older and is one year away from free agency. Those are not equivalent assets by any means. One is much more valuable in fact. Care to guess which one?

Regardless, at the end of the day, neither MDZ nor Sanheim would replace Trouba's value in Winnipeg's lineup today, period. I'd hope Cheveldayoff would be fired if he made the trade as proposed in this thread. The Jets are looking to take a significant step forward this year, not reduce their talent-level in the NHL lineup.

Pass. Don't call back.

Not that i think Jets should do the deal or anything, but have you seen Philly's D? Clearly not, cause if you did, you wouldn't have even mentioned anything about carrying bad players.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not that i think Jets should do the deal or anything, but have you seen Philly's D? Clearly not, cause if you did, you wouldn't have even mentioned anything about carrying bad players.

No NHL defenseman is as much of a burden as a partner as Stuart.

Trouba has played about 60% of his even-strength time with Stuart over the past 3 years, and much higher than that on the penalty kill.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
To Jets: Sanheim+ Del Zotto/ Schultz

To Flyers: Trouba

Flyers are loaded in left D while the Jets are short on left D. Del Zotto or Schultz are added for cap purposes.

Dude I'm not even sure I would trade Del Zotto for Truba, let alone Sanheim and Del Zotto. Easy pass from Flyers.

And this consistency nonsense with DZ is getting out hand. Out off all of his seasons, only one of them has been bad. Since then he's been the best Dman on the Flyers and improved from season to season. Trouba, while high in potential, is young and has had his own consistency issues.

I could see a case for a 1-1 swap, but definitely not a 2 for 1 deal. Either way Flyers don't have much need for this move. It doesn't make them better in the short term or long term.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Dude I'm not even sure I would trade Del Zotto for Truba, let alone Sanheim and Del Zotto. Easy pass from Flyers.

And this consistency nonsense with DZ is getting out hand. Out off all of his seasons, only one of them has been bad. Since then he's been the best Dman on the Flyers and improved from season to season. Trouba, while high in potential, is young and has had his own consistency issues.

I could see a case for a 1-1 swap, but definitely not a 2 for 1 deal. Either way Flyers don't have much need for this move. It doesn't make them better in the short term or long term.

These posts are always so cute.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg

Talk about diluted. A 1 for 1? Trouba would easily be the Flyers best D. Not even close. That's even including your "all mighty" prospects.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
These posts are always so cute.

I actually prefer if they've convinced themselves that they have the better player and want to keep him. With any luck it will limit the amount of terrible proposals we keep getting for Trouba. For a guy nobody wants and isn't any good, we sure get a lot of teams begging for him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I actually prefer if they've convinced themselves that they have the better player and want to keep him. With any luck it will limit the amount of terrible proposals we keep getting for Trouba. For a guy nobody wants and isn't any good, we sure get a lot of teams begging for him.

Again, the thread starter appears to be an Oilers fan.

No Flyers fan is begging for Trouba.

We would be quite content if this thread was never started. All of the sudden, the Flyers have lots of threads on the main page. We would be fine if they all stopped.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Again, the thread starter appears to be an Oilers fan.

No Flyers fan is begging for Trouba.

We would be quite content if this thread was never started. All of the sudden, the Flyers have lots of threads on the main page. We would be fine if they all stopped.

So much this

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Talk about diluted. A 1 for 1? Trouba would easily be the Flyers best D. Not even close. That's even including your "all mighty" prospects.

That Flyers D is so bad, that's why they were a bottom 5 team in the league.

If only they had a guy like Trouba they could have maybe made the playoffs.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Nobody in Philly is begging for Trouba. We acknowledge hes a good d man, but we arent willing to pay the price, mostly because we believe that Provorov and Sanheim can reach his level, or surpass it. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But we can afford to wait and see. Pretty simple concept really.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Original.:sarcasm:

Deflected and not answered.

It did kinda answer it though. The Flyers aren't a trouba away from contenders, so why trade up coming prospects who project at or above his level to get the same result? They can make and flounder out of the playoffs just fine with out Trouba, and give the 'all mighty' (which no one has claimed, btw), kids time to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad