Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] F Cole Perfetti re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $3.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's a shame they didn't have the space to lock him up longer term, I suspect his next contract will be expensive.

This is a great price for him now though.
I think it's actually a good strategy for a team like the Jets at this stage.

A two-year deal gives the Jets a lot of cap room in the next couple of seasons, and they are planning to contend.

Signing Perfetti to an 8 year deal after this deal takes him from 25 through 32 years of age, which is prime years.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Makes sense to me. It's a little on the rich side maybe, but that's probably the trade-off to maintaining team control at the end. Which is probably important to Winnipeg. And it's not like it's a big overpay that's going to get in the way of anything.

And it's the right sort of a deal for a player who has started to show some promise, but hasn't really proven anything yet. Either you get a couple years of really solid value and find a new value that works two years from now...or you get what you get for a couple years and can just sort of walk away after that.
Yeah I don't know that Perfetti has a role defined on the team yet. They need a 2C but is he that guy (with all due respect to Vlad Namestnikov? Is Perfetti just a perimeter scoring threat? Well they have plenty of that already.

This is the textbook definition of a "prove it/bridge deal" contract.

If I were Winnipeg I would run a Perfetti-Vilardi-Niederreiter 2nd line and see who emerges as the 2C between Cole and Gabe; let Ehlers cook on the 1st line for once also. Both Vilardi (durability) and Perfetti (consistency) have a lot to prove, but the talent for that line catch fire. If it doesn't work out then you know that you have Yaeger/Lambert/Chibrikov coming.

Putting Namestnikov there is a the "kissing your sister" compromise and doesn't move the team or any of the young players with potential forward.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think it's actually a good strategy for a team like the Jets at this stage.

A two-year deal gives the Jets a lot of cap room in the next couple of seasons, and they are planning to contend.

Signing Perfetti to an 8 year deal after this deal takes him from 25 through 32 years of age, which is prime years.
Yeah it's definitely a now vs future type of thing. I guess my point was that it's too bad they didn't have the space to balance for now + future.

But for a team looking to contend now, it's probably worth it to save a few million.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
This deal is inline with what we see around the league, but......omg, his career thus far consists of about 30 solid NHL games and that's good for 6.5M? (8.75M CDN)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad