Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] F Cole Perfetti re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $3.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's a shame they didn't have the space to lock him up longer term, I suspect his next contract will be expensive.

This is a great price for him now though.
I think it's actually a good strategy for a team like the Jets at this stage.

A two-year deal gives the Jets a lot of cap room in the next couple of seasons, and they are planning to contend.

Signing Perfetti to an 8 year deal after this deal takes him from 25 through 32 years of age, which is prime years.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Makes sense to me. It's a little on the rich side maybe, but that's probably the trade-off to maintaining team control at the end. Which is probably important to Winnipeg. And it's not like it's a big overpay that's going to get in the way of anything.

And it's the right sort of a deal for a player who has started to show some promise, but hasn't really proven anything yet. Either you get a couple years of really solid value and find a new value that works two years from now...or you get what you get for a couple years and can just sort of walk away after that.
Yeah I don't know that Perfetti has a role defined on the team yet. They need a 2C but is he that guy (with all due respect to Vlad Namestnikov? Is Perfetti just a perimeter scoring threat? Well they have plenty of that already.

This is the textbook definition of a "prove it/bridge deal" contract.

If I were Winnipeg I would run a Perfetti-Vilardi-Niederreiter 2nd line and see who emerges as the 2C between Cole and Gabe; let Ehlers cook on the 1st line for once also. Both Vilardi (durability) and Perfetti (consistency) have a lot to prove, but the talent for that line catch fire. If it doesn't work out then you know that you have Yaeger/Lambert/Chibrikov coming.

Putting Namestnikov there is a the "kissing your sister" compromise and doesn't move the team or any of the young players with potential forward.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think it's actually a good strategy for a team like the Jets at this stage.

A two-year deal gives the Jets a lot of cap room in the next couple of seasons, and they are planning to contend.

Signing Perfetti to an 8 year deal after this deal takes him from 25 through 32 years of age, which is prime years.
Yeah it's definitely a now vs future type of thing. I guess my point was that it's too bad they didn't have the space to balance for now + future.

But for a team looking to contend now, it's probably worth it to save a few million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad