Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] D Dylan DeMelo signs extension with the Jets (4 years, $4.9M AAV)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems solid enough for the Jets.

I think a lot of other teams fanbases were kind of overrating him as they penciled him into half the lineups in the league. :laugh: He's always struck me as a fairly innocuous player, and pretty much the epitome of a #4 type Top-4D who gets pushed up in role/minutes because he happens to be a RHS.

So this is probably a little more than i'd want to pay him in a vacuum...but remains to be seen just how bonkers this Free Agent Frenzy gets for defencemen. And the fact remains...he's a RHD and those are extra coveted. So keeping a UFA that wants to be in Winnipeg, with that organization, and has shown he can play minutes with their #1D is tidy business for the Jets. So good for them.

I have a feeling that as other UFA deals roll in, i'm going to adjust to the idea that a maybe $500-900k overpayment is nothing.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Is this seen as an overpay or underpay. My first impressions, fair deal. But just heard Toronto Sports Network try to characterize this as an overpay for DeMelo. They are dumb over there and don't even watch games out West so they are probably just wrong as usual.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
When you play for a franchise and a city who makes you feel appreciated, you tend to stay. Not everyone is a grass is greener type player. Especially when you know you’ve been part of building something.

Like it or not, the Jets more than any other franchise, have to look for good fits for Winnipeg. He’s a great fit for them. If they’ve overpaid him in the eyes of the “video game clan”, then so be it. They have a good dman locked up for the next 4 years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Seems steep for a guy who's a #4 at best
You don't like any deals eh. Maybe it's just your schtick? This guy for whatever reason allows his partner to play their best possible hockey and doesn't hurt you. By all accounts is an amazing teammates and has an unreal hockey IQ. Im kinda surprised he didn't wait for free agency to get a 5th or 6th year. I think he could have got it. He's the only player Chabot has ever played with where he lives up to his potential and talent level. Morrissey plays the best hockey of his career with him and they are a bona-fide first pair. Seems like with his chemistry he's 'more than just a 4 at best'.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
DeMelo has come a long way being a 3rd pairing guy for the Sharks to quietly becoming a pretty solid defensive guy in the top 4. I think it really started in Ottawa where he got the opportunity.

A whopping +46 this season.

I think the money is pretty spot on.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You never notice this guy.

And that's a great thing.

The cap hit might not be desirable, but the player is still good. Would have been a popular target, but I think this makes Roy more money as there are less players available of that ilk.

Reactions: SCP Guy

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
When you play for a franchise and a city who makes you feel appreciated, you tend to stay. Not everyone is a grass is greener type player. Especially when you know you’ve been part of building something.

Like it or not, the Jets more than any other franchise, have to look for good fits for Winnipeg. He’s a great fit for them. If they’ve overpaid him in the eyes of the “video game clan”, then so be it. They have a good dman locked up for the next 4 years.
The Jets wear players down and feed them their Kool Aid. A lot of players get Stockholm Syndrome after being in Winnipeg for a couple years. Re signings are common for the Jets it’s just hard to trick players to going to Winnipeg in the first place.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Classic, don't judge the player but the defense as a whole, because that makes a lot of sense. And to be fair the defense that gave up the least amount of goals in the league last year.
In fairness any will look good behind the likely vezina winner. I watched a lot of the jets and as helly bailing them out.
In the playoffs the defense was God awful but this time helly wasn't there to bail them out. Demolo is a solid dman good on for staying but overall especially if they lose Dillon.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Seems solid enough for the Jets.

I think a lot of other teams fanbases were kind of overrating him as they penciled him into half the lineups in the league. :laugh: He's always struck me as a fairly innocuous player, and pretty much the epitome of a #4 type Top-4D who gets pushed up in role/minutes because he happens to be a RHS.

So this is probably a little more than i'd want to pay him in a vacuum...but remains to be seen just how bonkers this Free Agent Frenzy gets for defencemen. And the fact remains...he's a RHD and those are extra coveted. So keeping a UFA that wants to be in Winnipeg, with that organization, and has shown he can play minutes with their #1D is tidy business for the Jets. So good for them.

I have a feeling that as other UFA deals roll in, i'm going to adjust to the idea that a maybe $500-900k overpayment is nothing.
He’s a complimentary player. He’s not the main guy on the ice but he’s the guy the main guys want to play with. Great defense and he gets the puck to his team mates to let them shine. A good game for him is when you barely notice him because he’s just doing the right things.

I don’t know how others rate him so I can’t say if he is over rated but like you said solid deal, I think they got it about right for both sides.

Reactions: biturbo19

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
DeMelo has come a long way being a 3rd pairing guy for the Sharks to quietly becoming a pretty solid defensive guy in the top 4. I think it really started in Ottawa where he got the opportunity.

A whopping +46 this season.

I think the money is pretty spot on.

He's a great partner for Morrissey so I don't think he'd find a better fit around the league.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
What did the elite Jets defence do in the playoffs?
Well that's not exactly the point is it.
Are the Jets better without him?
No.
Unless someone is magically transplanting better players... which they aren't.
If DeMelo goes to another team he likely is replaced by a weaker player.
The upgrades to the Jets D have to come from moving on from Pionk or Schmidt.
Not in losing the most defensively reliable guy they have.
All reports are that Brendan Dillon will be signed elsewhere this summer.
If the Jets lose both of those guys (without a significant add) they are worse off.
Regardless of how bad the playoffs went for them.
DeMelo wasn't why the Jets stunk it up in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad