Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] D Dylan DeMelo signs extension with the Jets (4 years, $4.9M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Great for the Jets. A 5th year would have been the only concern, maybe.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Everyone thought they’d be adding him as their second pair RHD and he’s not even making it to market.
We know someone in his family. I can tell you all with certainty…

He’s very happy in Winnipeg and settled in with a young family. He was not leaving.

I’m happy for Jets fans and hope they appreciate this guy. He’s a good one.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Seems steep for a guy who's a #4 at best
Wait until you see the numbers in UFA. Zadorov is getting a minimum of 5X5. This is a year less and less dollars. I like it for the Jets. DeMelo doesn't have Zadorov's peaks, but he doesn't have his valleys either. I think their value is pretty comparable.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No. He's a top-pair calibre player (right now anyway, he's 31 and will decline at some point throughout the deal).

For what Demelo brings right now, it is a very good deal for Winnipeg. Especially in comparison to the outlandish prices some of the UFA crop will get July 1st.

About a mil over priced per year
Not even close man.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No. He's a top-pair calibre player (right now anyway, he's 31 and will decline at some point throughout the deal).

For what Demelo brings right now, it is a very good deal for Winnipeg. Especially in comparison to the outlandish prices some of the UFA crop will get July 1st.

Not even close man.
I agree with your premise. I don't see him as a top pair defenseman. I think that's way out of line. He's a second pairing guy who can play top competition. Similar to Tanev.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Classic, can't take a criticism about your player without bringing up who I cheer for (which is irrelevant). Cool

What do you think is the range a #3-4 D should be paid ? The cap is going to increase steadily in the next couple of years. 4.9 M$ means he's 61st for cap hit for a D. Considering he's an RHD and fit well in the team composition and it's an UFA contract, it's seems like fair value.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I agree with your premise. I don't see him as a top pair defenseman. I think that's way out of line. He's a second pairing guy who can play top competition. Similar to Tanev.
Tanev is also a top-pair defenseman. Your evaluations of guys is just off. Both are top-64 defensemen, i.e. top pair defensemen.

If Tanev doesn't quality, (one of the single best defensive players in the league, and a guy that didn't get scored on for two rounds), then your list of top-pair defensemen must be like 15 names. Apparently guys who play top-pair defensive minutes and face top competition are not top pair defensemen, according to this.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Average NHL salary is about 3.8m.
He played on the first pair with JMo all season.
He played 21:44 per game.
He would have got much more on the open market but chose to stay in Winnipeg like a lot of players once they get here.
It's a fair deal...I expected him to sign for 5 years at least.

Good signing.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Tanev is also a top-pair defenseman. Your evaluations of guys is just off. Both are top-64 defensemen, i.e. top pair defensemen.

If Tanev doesn't quality, (one of the single best defensive players in the league, and a guy that didn't get scored on for two rounds), then your list of top-pair defensemen must be like 15 names. Apparently guys who play top-pair defensive minutes and face top competition are not top pair defensemen, according to this.
No, I don't see it that way. Top pairing guys are all situation type defensemen. Tanev played the 4th most minutes for a pretty average blueline in Calgary. He played the 4th most minutes in Dallas. It's not because he can't defend. He's an excellent defender. DeMelo is a excellent defender too, not quite Tanev, but close. I think top pairing guys are guys like Morrissey who can defend and add a layer to the offense. In Calgary guys like Weegar, Andersson and Hanifin do/did both. I don't consider Lindell a top pairing guy either and he's a great defender. You have to be a guy who can be on the PK AND the PP for me. Not one of the other. Top 2 on a league average blueline in icetime is a top pairing guy.

Reactions: JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad