Would you be OK with Sid/Geno playing for another NHL team?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would you be OK with Sid/Geno playing for another NHL team?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But if he didn't win, would you still be saying that and against trading him?

Careers are short, players dreams are to win as many cups as they can. I'd never ask someone to be loyal on a sinking ship when they can get more cups but that's me. Pens will still be fine without him, we survived before him afterall. We will never have this type of core again, but most teams don't.
No, but he has. At some point a franchise player should look at other options if they've never won, but once you've won it and built that legacy I'd say it's a different story.

The championship chasing that a lot of star players do now - especially in the NBA - is kind of off-putting. And if you've already won multiple with one team, maybe you leave a greater legacy by staying put and strengthening that franchise for the future, like Mario did.

Does anyone think his reputation would be enhanced if he left Pittsburgh to join Sakic's Avs in '01 and won a 3rd Cup there?

Last edited:

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is purely hypothetical, obviously, but with all the talk about rebuilding, picking a lane etc... how would you feel if Sid and/or Geno got traded or walked?

Would you applaud ownership/staff for taking a tough decision, or put the blame on them for allowing them to leave? Any other emotions or thoughts? Again, purely hypothetical. If they are traded, assume Penguins get a reasonable haul. What reasonable means in this context is up to you.

Me, I want them to be lifers - but I'm more of a passive fan anyway, so interested to hear what you think.
Woukd live to see Sid , Gino, Letang all on other teams. Entire league woukd look better.
I watch more Pens ganes than any other team (including my own team) on Center ice. But I am tired of watching the same thing season after season. Sullivan gets 6 to 8 news players every season yet his teams plays the exact same way no matter who comes in.
Just last season all these players had the worse season if their careers Karlsson, Smith, Eler, Accarie, Graves. That ain't a coincidence.
Here is hoping Sid gets back to play offs. That will never happen under Sullivan and and Dubas.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I am fine watching the team wither around Sid and Geno for a few seasons. There is something uniquely dignified about superstars playing their entire career with the team that drafted them. It rarely happens, much less with two players at the same time on the same team. Much as we love to piss and moan about the direction of the team, overall, the Pens post-lockout era has been a resounding success, thanks above all else to these two guys. If they want to ride it out, I'm in favor of it. They've earned whatever coda they want.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'm 100% ok with something like Crosby signing his final couple of seasons to play in Colorado with Nate MacKinnon, because in the end he's playing with someone he's very good mates with and a good team that wants to win as many as they can while Nate is still young. Crosby joining them would be a cool story, Idol and Mentor winning together and from the same town.

It doesn't hurt his legacy at all, if anything it only matters to those that care how many more points he puts up in a Pens sweater vs overall, I don't give any less f***s if he is a record holder for the Pens as much as he continues to produce overall regardless of where he is.

Malkin to me is close to retirement and fine keeping, Letang should have never been kept, I like the bloke but his health issues and everything else, it was going to be a steep decline and we're starting to see it. I think Geno and Letang would understand if Sid left, but they'd probably be mad because they wanted to stay together, but in the end does it really matter?

Superstar duos who played their whole careers with the same team that drafted them:

Nobody.

Sid and Geno would be the first ones.
Yzerman and Lidstrom retired as Red Wings.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I kind of look at Ryan Getzlaf for this, he was a trooper and he probably should have been dealt in his later years to be a depth player on a contender, but he stayed and retired with the Ducks and didn't play in the playoffs for 4 straight seasons.

There's a very good chance that's how it ends for Sid, Geno and Letang under Sullivan in their final 3-4 seasons.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Do we consider The Sedin's superstars?
For a good period of their careers they were, so yeah I guess so, them too. They won some decent hardware, each.

I think the fact that there's not that many makes it special but also not. It shows why it's not as important as fans think it is in the end. Either you finish your legendary career winning multiple cups and having an incredible run of playoffs like Yzerman or you retire while your team is spiralling the toilet bowl like Getzlaf did and like how the Pens trio will.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I kind of look at Ryan Getzlaf for this, he was a trooper and he probably should have been dealt in his later years to be a depth player on a contender, but he stayed and retired with the Ducks and didn't play in the playoffs for 4 straight seasons.

There's a very good chance that's how it ends for Sid, Geno and Letang under Sullivan in their final 3-4 seasons.
Sid is a 1OA as is Kane. Kane was moved at the TDL of his final year under contract. Has now signed a pair of 1 year deals with Detroit. New regime in chicago and there's no one else left from their last cup win in 2015. And clearly, are not in a position to return to the POs. Detroit isn't exactly a great team either but better chances than in Chicago.

And Sid, being a year and bit older than Kane has performed better of late as well.
So really up to Sid to make the call. If he's done after this season, stay and retire a Penguin IMO.

If he's wanting to play longer than this season, I'd rather see him leave and finish his career on a higher note. I mean, with the Rise of Allen in Buffalo, Brady also saw the end of the patriots dynasty and landed in the weaker NFC South with an aging Brees and Ryan and injured Cam as better roads to a SB.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Chuck Noll played his vets and led to a average 80's period. There is a time to admit it is over and rebuild to begin the chance to compete in a couple. If Sid signs an extension, he has to know he can want out if things just are not good enough. I have posted after this year, blow it up and Malkin to Florida, Rust to say Detroit or Chicago and Sid if he wants out to a cup contending team or say the Habs for a bunch of picks. Karlsson to say Ottawa for a nice package. Over 2 years, Pens can have 7 first round picks from these deals including the 2 they have. Trade up for the best talent but it appears there is no generational draft pick selection in the next couple. BY 2027, Pens can get a lottery high pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So far the moves from Dubas don't really move the needle. Adding Hayes whom 2 teams wanted badly to get rid of with PHI eating $3.5 mill in dead cap in retention plus STL paying a 2nd to get rid off, doesn't bold well for what he brings as an expected big body 3C.

If Sid signs another deal with Pitt, then he's there for the rest of his career and we should no longer have any discussions of him wanting out or that the team should trade him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think the part that is being under-reported here in Canada (which has suddenly gone crazy with "Sid must leave Pittsburgh" talk lately), is Sullivan. If we are right about our beliefs on this matter, it is not only ownership that wants this coach here (still). It is the core. Canada does not understand this point.

Sullivan has been so toxic for this organization for six years running now, that I would actually not be completely crushed if guys like 87 and 71 were dealt. It won't happen, but that is how much he has ruined this situation for their latter years.

Ironic, isn't it? This core wants to keep this head coach at all costs because they won with him, and it is this coach that has killed any shot they had of getting back to winning again.

Cue Alanis Morissette.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I don't care either way about Geno. I hope #87 is chasing the cup next spring for Colorado. He deserves another playoff run and it's not going to happen in Pittsburgh.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I have way more of an attachment to Geno than Sid. Geno is probably my third-favorite player of all time...definitely top 5. Sid is not in my top 10.

Geno has always gotten the shaft, Sid is only getting it now.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think the part that is being under-reported here in Canada (which has suddenly gone crazy with "Sid must leave Pittsburgh" talk lately), is Sullivan. If we are right about our beliefs on this matter, it is not only ownership that wants this coach here (still). It is the core. Canada does not understand this point.
It’s bizarre how much the Canadian media loves this topic. It bothers them so much that their golden boy has played in an American city his entire career.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad