Worst contract this UFA period

Which contract was the worst one handed out this period?

• Total voters

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Tough. Bobrovsky is by far the best player on this list, but that money committee to a goalie could be rough. But Florida has the space and he filled a big need.

Tanev is by far the worst player here but his AAV isn’t too high at 3.5. The 6 years for a 4th liner (albeit a good one) is incomprehensible. The guy could be out of the league in 2-3 years.

Hayes and Lee are solid NHL players but they got pretty fat contracts that probably won’t age very well like we’ve seen in years past.

In a vacuum, Bob’s might be the most burdensome but because Florida had all that space and filled a big need it could turn out okay.

Hayes’ contract might be her biggest issue for his team as they will have to lock their younger players up soon and they have some guys in the pipeline who should be able to cheaply replace Hayes ina few years.

Jun 15, 2007
For me the answer is Tanev.

The other three contracts I just thought to myself "wow that's a horrible overpayment"

The Tanev contract I burst out laughing.

Reactions: Flyers1928

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Skinner deserves to be an option, though it's still going to be Bobrovsky for me.

Reactions: 895

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Bob by far. I'd never pay a goalie 10mil with that term. Usually, some random goalies have the best seasons every year. And why is that? Because goaltending is inconsistent by nature. That's why I'm not a fan of long-term deals or big money contracts for them.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
The others are high end players at least, so I get there may have been a bidding war. But Tanev? They really had to add a sixth year to beat someone or????

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Lee 100%. Every fan knew he was not the type of player you sign to term, and he got term and high dollars. And then all these reports are coming out saying that he was never not coming back. Then why did Lou have to overpay him so massively?

Reactions: Morrison

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So many bad ones to choose from. This could put 2016 to shame in a few years lol

1. Hayes (by a sliter, at least bob is a high end talent rn)
2. Bob
3. Lee
4. Skinner
5. Tanev

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Bobrovsky and Skinner are terrible contracts but at least they've had some elite seasons. That Hayes contract is beyond comprehension.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Bob is probably the best goalie in the league, and is consistent year in and out. I don’t think his contract is bad at all

Would you rather have Kevin Hayes at 7 mil, or splurge 3 mil more for the most important position on a team with a two time Vezina winning goalie?

Easy choice

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Lee's contract looks bad now...in 2 years it could look brutal. Hayes is at least 2 years younger and should be able to play decent for half his contract.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I defended the Hayes contract when it was signed on the basis that I thought other contracts would be worse, but today really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Still think the Bobrovsky deal is worse, simply because individual goaltenders really aren't valuable assets.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Tanev with what he brings.

Varlamov with what they gave him and what a much better goalie in Lehner got.

Those deals you can work around, the worst deal in a vacuum and considering other factors is Skinner. You cant work around more than 10% of your cap for 8 seasons.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
That Skinner contract is going to be a mess those last few seasons. At least Bob will make up for his on the front end.

But that Lee contract is bad every single day.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hayes easily for me. Not worth anywhere close to that amount.

Bob at least is one of the top goalies in the league and also played great in the playoffs this year. Shut down the leagues best offence.

Skinner's was pretty awful too. He is now I believe the 6th (maybe 7th after Panarin) highest paid winger in the league, and we all know he is not even close to being a top 10 winger. But I'd rather pay him 9 than Hayes 7 per year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cant see how the answer isnt Bob. So much term and $ to a goalie. Worse yet, Bob relies a lot on athleticism to be so good, and we know that these type of goalies decline a lot faster. It would be surprising to see his game fall somewhat off a cliff in the next 3 years. $10m with term for a goalie is bonkers, even if they have won a Vezina

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad