Worst contract this UFA period

Which contract was the worst one handed out this period?

• Total voters

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Myers is a bottom pairing guy making 6 million for the next 5 years. I don't think any other contract looks as bad today, although some of them might age to be worse

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
All 5 listed are equally awful, so more than others, but I wouldn't want any of the above on my team at there current contracts.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Toss up between all of those listed. Myers is pretty awful no doubt but at least it’s only 5 years, and there’s no expansion protection.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’m not a fan of big goalie contracts, but holy hell I still can’t believe Hayes is getting 7.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I guess Hayes because Bobrovsky's contract at least has a chance of being worth that.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The Hayes contract is cringeworthy. I honestly am still dumbfounded. I would love to hear how those negotiations went down. In no world is Kevin Hayes worth more money than Pastrnak, Larkin, Monahan, Mackinnon, Marchand, Scheifele, Meier, Forsberg, Hall, Guentzel, Ehlers, RNH, W.Karlsson, Huberdeau, Barkov... the list goes on and on.

The Bobrovsky contract will come back to bite them eventually, but it'll all be worth it if Florida can be a contender for the first half of the contract.

The Brandon Tanev contract is a bit questionable as well, but obviously the Pens see some upside that I don't. A bit of an overpayment there for sure.

I'd throw in the Patrik Nemeth contract as an honourable mention. 2 years is not the end of the world, but I am not a fan of throwing 3 million per year at a 6th D...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That Skinner contract is going to be a mess those last few seasons. At least Bob will make up for his on the front end.

But that Lee contract is bad every single day.

Goalies to win Vezinas in their 35+ seasons:

Hasek
Brodeur
Thomas
Rinne

I'm not saying Bobrovsky has a great contract, but he has a better chance of being elite at the end of it than any of the skaters do.

Reactions: drktmplr12

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Tanev's deal makes some sense too, though I think Pittsburgh would have gotten a discount on the AAV if they offered that much term. He is the exact type of player they need on their bottom six. Great player in that role.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For me the worst contract is probably Skinner. There's too big a chance that he underperforms badly, and that would sting for 8 years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The dude is a 25-30 goal/60+ pt center in the prime of his career. Unless he falls off the face of the earth like Lucic/Eriksson within the next 2-3 years, his contract is a steal.

I believe he has scored 60+ 3 times in ten years. It would be unusual for a forward to have many prime years left at this point.

Duchene is also not a great play-driver. I think if he's around 60 points then $8m per makes some sense, but as he falls off it will get pretty bad. Dom Luszczyszyn projects him as the 28th best center next year, and 2nd line quality in a couple years.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Hayes and Myers are both just getting overpaid for long term. But I want to know why tf the penguins signed a depth player for 6 years? Brandon Tanev isn't a bad guy to have in your bottom 6, but for 6 years? That's so odd to me.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Hayes signing. 7 million per for Kevin Hayes? That's Bobby Holik 2002 level of bad contract.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Bob will be bad in the later years, but he's exactly what Florida needs right now, so its not that bad unless he falls off a cliff right away. Tanev isn't a lot of money but that's a lot of term for a guy won't play above the 3rd line. Skinner is another one where Buffalo really couldn't afford to lose him so had to overpay. Hayes, I don't really see why Philly was so desperate for him. Hes a good player and he could potentially shine in Philly but he could also potentially under perform and then that cap hit and those years look ugly.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Bobrovsky's was the most obviously stupid, especially considering Florida used a Top 15 pick on a goaltender.

I've maintained for a while that goalies are largely systematic and investing lots in them typically isn't wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad